Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: URO Rear Stablizer Bar Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I ordered 8 URO rear bushing to put in the drop links. The 1st thing I noticed was they were ALOT stiffer and made out of different material. I went about business as usual TRYING to install them. I dropped them in boiling water, fished them out and TRIED to put them in, it just was not happening. Got them hot again and tried using pliers to pinch them and put them in. Moved on to using the vice to try and press them in, still did not happen. Porsche bushings are now on the way.

The picture is of the bushings after I tried all the ways I know. Has anybody else run in to this? Is this something the World needs to know? Did I miss the discussion on these?
reharvey
They can be a PITA but heat will usually soften them up enough to get them in. Some lube inside the drop links will sometimes help -- with lots of pressure.
ww914
QUOTE(reharvey @ May 12 2013, 04:55 PM) *

They can be a PITA but heat will usually soften them up enough to get them in. Some lube inside the drop links will sometimes help -- with lots of pressure.

agree.gif
jmalone
I just put in a set of these yesterday;

1) Put the drop link and bushing in a vise. The droplink ring and the open end of the bushing should face straight together. Compress the bushing and the droplink ring together keeping them as straight as possible.

2) The edges of the bushing will winkle and will "hang up" on the droplink ring. Take a pair of channelocks and squeeze the bushing edges until it pops into the drop link ring, it will still not be fully seated.

3) Take a large socket that fits the outside diameter of the droplink ring. Place it on your bench and place the open end of the bushing down into the hole in the socket. Hit the the closed end of the bushing with a dead blow hammer until the bushing seats firmly in the drop link.

4) Remember that the open faces of the bushings should face opposite ways in the drop link.
jmalone
QUOTE(jmalone @ May 13 2013, 02:59 PM) *

I just put in a set of these yesterday;

1) Put the drop link and bushing in a vise. The droplink ring and the open end of the bushing should face straight together. Compress the bushing and the droplink ring together keeping them as straight as possible.

2) The edges of the bushing will winkle and will "hang up" on the droplink ring. Take a pair of channelocks and squeeze the bushing edges until it pops into the drop link ring, it will still not be fully seated.

3) Take a large socket that fits the outside diameter of the droplink ring. Place it on your bench and place the open end of the bushing down into the hole in the socket. Hit the the closed end of the bushing with a dead blow hammer until the bushing seats firmly in the drop link.

4) Remember that the open faces of the bushings should face opposite ways in the drop link.

I forgot to say to heat them up in boiling water before installing them!
cary
I use a BIG ASS C-clamp.
Align them perfectly. Then turn the C-clamp and it will pop into place.
Easy deal.
I carry it in my AX tool bag. It used to pop off the rear sway bar on my Carrera.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.