Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sort of OT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Anybody have a DVD Recorder for their TV/Home Theater?
My VCR is about done and I'm thinking about going shopping later today.
With the digital camera for in-car video I would love to record direct to DVD instead of having to capture it with my computer first.
vortrex
probably cheaper to get a DVD burner for the computer? I figure you'll want to do some editing first on the computer anyways and possibly put them on the web, right?
skline
I didnt think they could record direct to DVD yet. The DVD's dont record fast enough to go straight to the DVD, it can record it to a hard drive and then burn it but not straight to disc.
ChrisFoley
Thank you! I thought straight-to-DVD was probably too good to be true.
Simply transferring my digital 8 recordings onto vhs tape is currently the easiest way to view and distribute my videos.
I like editing them, but it is very time consuming, and I can't always get to it right away.
I will be getting a DVD burner for my computer at some point. I wouldn't feel compelled to cut as much footage as with the online versions, but still, a lot more work than unedited tape-to-tape. I guess I'll go shopping for a vcr.
vortrex
there are cameras which have DVD recorders built into them I believe, so it seems possible to go from camera directly to stand alone HT recorder.
TimT
Yea, they have DVD camcorders, I also just read in the NY Times, that Sony is coming out with a camcorder with a hard drive in it, so no tape, nod disc will be necessary.
Pnambic
My father's digital camera records straight to DVD. Little 3 in. DVD's though, but they do play in most all DVD players. Pretty slick, but you can't record over the disks as easily as tape. And the media is more expensive. And the media doesn't hold as much data. The quality is markedly better than either VHS-C or Hi8.

I'm sure there will be some pretty neat breakthroughs once blue-ray is more widely adopted, but for now, its decent.

It sucked earlier this year at my sister's wedding though. My dad bought the camera right before it and hadn't mastered it yet. He bought a 1hr disk and slid it in. He didn't read the small print that said there was 30 minutes on each side. He recorded some time before the wedding and the procession basically until the first side was done and didn't have anyone watching to change sides. My mom and sister were pretty upset.
Allan
So let me get this straight, they are selling DVD recorders everywhere, but you can't record from VHS to DVD?
DonTraver
I bought a DVD / VCR Recorder from Ebay from the Sears Outlet. Figured Sears had a pretty good rep. You can record from VHS to DVD, DVD to VHS, Timed recording to DVD (TV Program), etc. Think it was under $200 with shipping. I also have Direct TV Satalite with that 100 hour hard drive recorder. Using the Direct TV recorder to DVD makes it a lot easier to edit out commercials. The DVD recorder uses DVD-R (1 time use) and DVD-RW (multiuse) Disks. I like the DVD-R Disks, cheaper, Comp USA has 100 DVD-R disks on sale today, 100 for 19.99. Think I'll pick up a bundle. I can record in 2,4,6, hours segments on one disk. After you record what you want, you finalize the disk, locks it up. Fry's have the DVD-R disks on sale all the time, like every other week. Anyway hope this helps, I really like the setup, and it's not that complicated to get it set up.

Later Don
DonTraver
Oh yeah, it's a Sansui VRDVD4005 DVD/VCR Recorder. Works great.
ChrisFoley
I just got home with my new Sony RDR HX900 DVD Recorder. No VCR, but it has a 120 Gig hard drive.
It has DV (iLink) and S-Video ports as well as the usual connections. It can burn DVDs at 24x off the hard drive. smile.gif smile.gif
This will make it much easier for me to make copies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.