Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No factory vin number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
green914
I picked up this roller as part of a package deal; its factory vin numbers have been removed, and it has a new vin number that was issued by the CHP, #CA397816. Does this make the car unworthy of restoring?
a914622
If there is no rust issues? hell ya. there are fewer and fewer every day.

reading just your title, i thought the car might be one out of the Atlanta area with missing vin. blink.gif

jcl
Mike Bellis
May knock off $500-$1000 off your final restored price.
rick 918-S
I'd say no. It was likely a reissue due to an auction sale or an impound sale. I have a 66 Beetle with a reissued title. It was purchased in California from an impound yard with no title. There was a bond required for three years to insured it wasn't stolen.

If it's solid just document it's condition and history. It may not bring top dollar at resale because of the reissued vin but that depends on the car and the interested party.

How about more photos! smile.gif
SirAndy
Is the old VIN still stamped into the metal on top of the pass. front fender?
idea.gif
green914
There is a small drill hole where each of the numbers used to be stamped; hole is just big enough to take the number out.
rick 918-S
That's interesting. Is the windshield tag still there?

Let's see the hell hole and longs! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(green914 @ May 14 2013, 04:32 PM) *
There is a small drill hole where each of the numbers used to be stamped; hole is just big enough to take the number out.

blink.gif I never heard of the DMV drilling out the existing VIN number.
FrogMut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 14 2013, 05:20 PM) *

:blink: I never heard of the DMV drilling out the existing VIN number.

Lets see there are FOUR areas for vin #'s.

Door Jam 2- Metal decal sticker and Metal metal tag.

Drivers Windshield pillar.

Front trunk 2- Inside front trunk;Right wheel well and Silver Tag by headlight.

I have heard that there is one near or under ashtray but have never seen it. Any others?

It looks like the Vin's were all taken off by the thieves then brought to CHP to get lights, brakes and such signed off. Where they then took it to DMV who gave it a new Vin #. See the 914-6 Red down in LA for sale for $44.9k as an example

Is it worth it? Only if you are never going to sell it.
green914
There is no windshield tag/door tag... Person at DMV says that it is not uncommon to reissue vin numbers on recovered stolen cars. I think that this might be the case with this car. It has a little minor rust, but nothing major; I think I will have to put this one back on the road.
ConeDodger
You should be able to get down under the passenger front fender with some lacquer thinner and wipe away the undercoating and be able to see the VIN...

edit: Never mind, I see they drilled out the numbers. That is really weird...

rick 918-S
QUOTE(FrogMut @ May 14 2013, 07:34 PM) *

See the 914-6 Red down in LA for sale for $44.9k as an example

Is it worth it? Only if you are never going to sell it.

What 914-6? got a link?

I disagree. If the DMV issued a new vin then the car now has a title and is marketable as long as you disclose the reissued vin.

You could check the right side of the rear trunk for the chassis number. Take that and see if you can get the authenticity from Porsche. Maybe they can track down the vin with the chassis #

And here's a thought. If you can track the vin with the chassis # SoCal Andy could get you a new emission sticker for the left latch pillar.
Dave_Darling
Heck, just a little money sent down to GA and you could turn that into a real authentic 914-6! wink.gif

--DD
Mike Bellis

CA DMV did it to my 1969 911. Not uncommon in my case. A big 6 smog legal conversion. Done prior to the exemption roll back.
green914
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 14 2013, 08:40 PM) *

Heck, just a little money sent down to GA and you could turn that into a real authentic 914-6! wink.gif

--DD

I thought that it might be considered a stem-cell of sort idea.gif I think there may be a few clues left like the Karman coach/plate with the paint code.
Rand
Oof. Take it through your DMV. My car didn't have the vin tag on the a pillar. But they were happy with the stamping on the inner fender.

DMV does not drill rivets. Whoever said that needs his butt beaten.

sixnotfour
ya they do, they did it to my 84 Turbo, then called me back before i got home and said they were wrong and made a mistake, went back got another title with factory VIN, But they would not give me back the tag they removed from the pillar,with a drill, Because it would be unlawful to put it back on.WTF??? I had a clear Florida title when it had to be inspected for title change.

Instead they put some bullshit sticker that stated the VIN is correct in other locations, that sticker flew out the window on the way home..Oh and they removed their new VIN tag and sheard the rivots flush,,Real Nice.....Washington State Patrol.
Cap'n Krusty
If the car has a CA replacement VIN tag, that IS the VIN, as far as the DMV, the BAR, and the CHP are concerned. Not likely they're gonna go back on that one. In fact, I'd say it's impossible. Just live with it .................

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.