Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most useful garage/shop equipment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
I have done some brief searching and have seen a few cool posts, but I would like to get things together in one place. What is your favorite/most useful shop equipment? I'm moving soon and it is going to be a good opportunity to think about what sorts of equipment it would be fun to have on hand!

I'll start off with:

A good heavy duty work bench
A dual valve low profile aluminum jack
Wall mounted rack for holding wheels/tires

Wishlist:
media tumbler (for cleaning small parts)
do-it-yourself plating equipment
12 ton press
bench grinder
air compressor

r_towle
Air compressor, and air tools
A lift.

rich
green914
To this day the most useful piece of shop equipment in my garage is without a doubt the air-compressor. smash.gif Hmmm...sometimes a hammer.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2013, 11:55 AM) *

A lift.

rich

I use to say #1 air compressor, but now that I'm older #1 is the lift.

My wife is saying that when she retires she want's to downsize and move back to the city.
I said I don't care as long as my new garage has a 12' ceiling and fit's my lift.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 14 2013, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2013, 11:55 AM) *

A lift.

rich

I use to say #1 air compressor, but now that I'm older #1 is the lift.

My wife is saying that when she retires she want's to downsize and move back to the city.
I said I don't care as long as my new garage has a 12' ceiling and fit's my lift.

I hear that.

over the weekend I used the lift to vacuum the cars....so I would not have to bend over smile.gif

rich
JRust
LIFT! I bought a scissor lift that goes up to 44". Absolutely wub.gif it . Any lift is a great thing I was just limited as we are leasing our place & installing a 2 or 4 post wasn't in the cards
SirAndy
QUOTE(rnellums @ May 14 2013, 08:46 AM) *
What is the best/fun/useful shop equipment?

biggrin.gif

gothspeed
lift
Elliot Cannon
A lift and having a work bench with tools at hand.
URY914
I like my drill press. biggrin.gif

Bench top grinder. biggrin.gif

Bench top belt and disk sander. biggrin.gif
carr914
4 Post Lift & a 60 Gallon 2 Stage Air Compressor
rnellums
I forgot pegboard. I feel like one can never have enough of it! free storage space that doesn't use up floor space! wub.gif
underthetire
Air compressor
A good, well organized, large tool chest.
A TV and stereo system

Honestly, i use my belt sander way more than the bench grinder. Works better on sheet metal for sure.

I wouldn't have enough wall space to stick my tools on a peg board!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(rnellums @ May 14 2013, 12:49 PM) *

I forgot pegboard. I feel like one can never have enough of it! free storage space that doesn't use up floor space! wub.gif

Who makes good hooks/hangers for pegboard? I have some, but don't know what attachments to get (I'm sure it'd be nice have some open-end and ratcheting wrenches on it).

I'll second the lift, I don't use mine much at the moment, but it makes for one more car storage!

In the hot and cold, a heat-pump is my second favorite!
6freak
beer.gif A BEER FRIDGE and good lighting so when your drunk you dont trip over that fancey ass aluminum floor jack

biggrin.gif
Niklas
My plasma cutter.
I love body work.

Niklas
r3dplanet
This one is obvious. Any decent home auto shop should have the following:

1. atomic hydrogen welder
2. induction plasma spheroidisation processor
3. high pressure gamma ray reactor (don't worry, you only need 250mg of antimatter)
4. martian sundial (particularly helpful if you live on the Martian equator)
5. an orange tabby cat named Steve for company

I mean, that's what I would guess.
yeahmag
* Bench top grinder
* Cheap lathe
* Cheap drill press
* Cheap 1/4" air angle grinder
* Oil filter cutter

My vibrating media tumbler kinda sucks. Maybe it's the media I'm using...
Andyrew
This is my list of favorite tools and tools that get the most use.

Big items
1. Lift
2. Air compressor
3. Mig welder
4. 8' florescent lighting
5. big fans

Small items
0. rolling Office chair with no sides. The lower it can go the better. (I have a really cheap one that goes almost a foot off the ground, really great for wheels and work on bikes/ stuff on the floor)
1. Cordless 18v 1/2" impact, I use this for small to large jobs, The most annoying thing to me is spending 2 minutes taking 3 bolts out, Zip zip zip and they are done in 10 seconds. This item gets used the most by far, best christmas present ever.
2. portable folding saw horses. Big metal bottom heavy things. I have used the lighter weight ones and like them but the old Craftsman one's are just nicer.
3. Portable craftsman 108 piece kit. I throw a couple of phillips, standard and a some pliers. Not the greatest of tools, my chest has my good stuff But this, the saw horse and the impact get brought out every time I want to do any mechanics work. The
4. Strong bench vice that is attached to a solid bench.
5. Bench grinder
6. Dremel
7. Dog, beer and phone. Because entertainment is important when your relaxing.
r_towle
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ May 14 2013, 05:53 PM) *

3. high pressure gamma ray reactor (don't worry, you only need 250mg of antimatter) for home shop use
5. an orange tabby cat named Steve

Really, those are a given.

I think he is asking what ELSE you might consider as mandatory.

Rich
struckn
Really, those are a given.

I think he is asking what ELSE you might consider as mandatory.

Rich
[/quote]

A surround sound, multi speaker, FM Radio with CD 8 disc changer and a fridge.
Keeps you working all day and happy to be there. Also a shop Dog for company.

piratenanner.gif
scrz914
I'll second the Dremel. It's a small item but indispensable.
The other thing would be strong ramps. It's much easier to raise the front or rear end than having to jack the car up.
I've found a small media blasting cabinet to be very handy for restoring old parts.
moparrob
A portable bead blaster, definitely!

IPB Image

FourBlades
9 volt lithium ion 1/4 inch impact driver.

It is small, weighs very little, and is great for spinning nuts and bolts on and off quickly.

With a quick change chuck you can pop in small drill bits, screw driver bits, and sockets in a second.

It is a big time saver over using a racheting wrench.

I keep a torque wrench handy for when it comes time to tighten something for good.

John
PanelBilly
Computer with plastic over the keyboard
euro911
Time dry.gif
scotty
An extra 100 square feet to store it all.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty @ May 15 2013, 09:28 AM) *

An extra 100 square feet to store it all.

Only 100sq/ft lol-2.gif

I built a a big shop (about 1800sq/ft) when I got done I went, "Fuch...I didn't build it big enough!"

Then I built an attached 2 car garage on the house, as I was building I added 8 extra feet on the planned length, when I got it done I went, "Fuch...I didn't build it big enough!"

rolleyes.gif
scotty
Too much is never enough! beer.gif
shuie
Most useful:
Good workbench and vise. Maybe the air compressor. A lift would be awesome.

Most fun:
10 gallon 240V electric brewery

IPB Image

IPB Image
wobbletop
Lift, yes... but which... 4 post, 2 post, scissor?
worn
QUOTE(rnellums @ May 14 2013, 07:46 AM) *

I have done some brief searching and have seen a few cool posts, but I would like to get things together in one place. What is your favorite/most useful shop equipment? I'm moving soon and it is going to be a good opportunity to think about what sorts of equipment it would be fun to have on hand!

I'll start off with:

A good heavy duty work bench
A dual valve low profile aluminum jack
Wall mounted rack for holding wheels/tires

Wishlist:
media tumbler (for cleaning small parts)
do-it-yourself plating equipment
12 ton press
bench grinder
air compressor

I think it would help if we knew if this is the space you will be using. It won't hold a lot and still allow you to park two cars. Sorry, but tools scratch paint and snag purses. See Wayne's World.

Also what kind of work do you plan. I have pretty scruffy cars so I do grinding and sanding and stuff. For that a compressor a mig and lots of cheap air tools.

For a mechanic, a bench and tool storage would probably come out ahead.

For me this has turned from slippery slope to full blown free fall - I am a tool junkie, and there's no denying it. Yeah, I can quit any time I want...

BK911
Picked up one of these for $80 with 20% coupon a few years ago.
Have no idea how I lived without it for so long!!

Click to view attachment

On sale now:

http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capaci...ifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

In addition to some of the other items, include a wire wheel attachment on bench grinder. Makes rusty bolts look new!
blackmoon
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ May 14 2013, 02:53 PM) *

3. high pressure gamma ray reactor (don't worry, you only need 250mg of antimatter)
5. an orange tabby cat named Steve for company

and a towel
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wobbletop @ May 15 2013, 10:57 AM) *

Lift, yes... but which... 4 post, 2 post, scissor?

IMHO I find the 2 post is the best for service, scissor is fine for 914, 911, bugs, etc., as there's nothing to work on in the centre of the car. To me the 4 post is more geared towards storage, where you don't want to leave the suspension unloaded.

Downside of any lift is overhead clearance.

We could have used that lift during the first tranny clinic...right Walter wink.gif
rnellums
The question was really posed more in general. The garage space pictured in the original post is where i am now, now where I am moving to, but it is certainly smaller than the ideal garage size (can a garage be too large?). I'm loving the suggestions so far though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.