Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 torsion bar sizes ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Stupid question about 911 torsion bars:

Is the only difference between them the diameter of the bar?
Or do they also come in different materials with different properties?

idea.gif
r_towle
I would not be surprised to see titanium ones out there somewhere.

rich
Mike Bellis
Some are hollow and some are solid.
SirAndy
Guess it's time to pull mine out and see what i actually have.

Bought them as part of a complete 911 front end and never checked on the size of the t-bars.

I have the nagging suspicion that they aren't what they are supposed to be.
dry.gif
Dave_Darling
Size, spline count, solid vs. hollow. No different materials that I recall hearing of.

--DD
jmill
I believe they came stock with 19mm bars. At least the SC front end I bought did. I ended up getting hollow 22's.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jmill @ May 14 2013, 07:28 PM) *
I believe they came stock with 19mm bars.

That's what i thought but i'm pretty sure mine have to be larger.

The front of the car jumps at every little bump in the road and i can barely move the fender down by hand even with the shocks on full soft.

The car isn't even lowered much from stock since i have been driving mostly on the street.
I checked the shock travel by itself and there's plenty with the car on the ground, it's nowhere near hitting the rubber bump-stops.

The only thing i can think of is that the 911 front end i bought came with stiffer than stock torsion bars.
idea.gif
r_towle
McMark to the rescue.

BTW, I went back down from 22mm bars to the stock bars.
Using an anti sway bar I can get it pretty stiff when needed, but now I have it backed off for street driving and my teeth are happy.

Rich
Krieger
FWIW Elephant Racing sells Sway A Way solids @ 21, 22 and 23mm bars
shoguneagle
I went from 21mm to 18mm since I do not have any body flex. Made a word of difference in the front 911 suspension. The suspension system actually works but it does offer firm feeling. I still have a 22mm sway bar (through the body) set on the lightest setting and Koni Reds adjustable set soft.

Rear springs changed from adjustable perch 180# with Koni Reds adjustable to progressive 140# (nonadjustable perch) with Koni Reds. Shocks set on lightest setting

Have a rear sway stock which is currently disconnected. Need to work on this item and get everything in balance.
JoeSharp
Trying to get the front end planted I took out the 911 bars and went to 914 A arms and bars. The front end is much softer and I have 3 sway bars to chose from if I need to stiffen it up.
r_towle
Interesting that the smallest bars are 19mm when the smallest on the 914 are 17mm.

Seems the setup for the 911 would reduce nose dive which would make the car safer....ass lifting is not cool on a 911.

But on a 914, its less dramatic...so maybe 17mm would be what you are looking for?

I think Sway Away will make you whatever you want .

rich
rwilner
I have hollow 21s, plated and plugged, from ER in the front. Hollow 27s in the rear. Bilstein HD shocks on all 4 corners. I think it's a great setup for the street.

When you pull yours, check them carefully for damage. Mine had some material worn away at the front due to perished A arm bushings which is why I replaced them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.