Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagle GT V rated 195.65.15?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
So i am looking to get Goodyear Eagle GT V rated 195.65.15 for my 1975 1.8 with stock Fuchs rims. Is this a bad choice for a daily driver?

Also, I am buying 5 tires for the spare. Should I buy six to have an extra pair? I have a boxster and rears wear two to one vs fronts. Thoughts...

Regards

James

Updated to reflect correct tire size
dlee6204
I had the Eagle GTs on my car and thought they were a great tire. My car is a daily driver And I drove in all conditions. My only complaint is that they wear fairly quick. In my case, <20k miles
a914622
I have a set on my work car (2011 fusion). About 30k on them so far. Good all around tire. I drive about 35k a year. I have had them at jail speed for an extended lenth of time with no issues wet or dry.

jcl
Black22
I love mine! I have 205/60/15. Good in all conditions that a daily driver encounters, although I've never driven them on snow or ice. I also like the lip that saves your rims from curb rash...every tire should have it.
dlee6204
QUOTE(Black22 @ May 15 2013, 02:36 AM) *

. I also like the lip that saves your rims from curb rash...every tire should have it.

agree.gif
rhodyguy
the wife's car came shod with them. while others may like them they were horrible for our climate on a daily driver. prob better suited for a warm region. when a pt cruiser can break traction in the wet or cold they're useless. i found them extremely noisy at freeway speeds too. when they were spent, the duffus service rep explained to me how important it was to have the V rating due to the turbo. right...
Spoke
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 14 2013, 11:38 PM) *

I would go with 205/50/15 or 195/60/15 for a lower profile look. May throw off your speedometer but the car will look much better IMO.
stugray
There is a reason that almost all highway patrol cruisers run Eagle GTs.....
That is one reason that you can get such a good tire at such a low cost (huge production volume).

I had them on my 914 in the 90s and loved them.

Stu
steuspeed
You mean 195-65-15 poke.gif they don't make a 195-75-15.

My car came with Pirelli P6000 tires. The ride was a bit stiff, but cornered like on rails. I didn't think much of the tire until some jerk offs slashed them. Choices are limited in the 195-65-15, so I went for the Bridgestone RE960AS since it was the highest rated tire at the time on tirerack. The ratings on the P6000 were not so good, BUT if you look only at Porsche owners they liked them. Got those Bridgestones mounted and hated them from turn one. They were like marshmallows in comparison. Sold them after 500 miles on CL. The Eagle GT was next on my list, but I didn't go for them because of the weight 24lb vs 19lb. For a daily driver they may still be a good choice though. Instead I went for the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 195-55-15. TR only had a few left and now they are no longer available. The negatives are the car sits lower, more scraping, 200-300 more rpm hwy cruising, more shifting and speedo is off and still not as sharp turning as the P6000s. The positives are lots of grip, faster off the line, sits lower, better looks and better ride then the P6000s. Hope that helps out a little.
aircooledtechguy
I've been running 195-60-15 GTs sice a couple days befor leaving for WCR2013. I had my car up on my lift last week for a valve adjust and was surprised to be down to the wear bars on the inner treads. That's in 12 months and only 12K miles!!

Other than the fast wear, I have not had a problem with the performance in either wet or dry.

For the price ($53 each), I can't really bitch about the accelerated wear,. . . but I still will.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 15 2013, 08:48 PM) *

I've been running 195-60-15 GTs sice a couple days befor leaving for WCR2013.

How early did you leave for this year's WCR?!?! poke.gif blink.gif blink.gif

biggrin.gif
jesiv

I've been running 195-60-15 GTs sice a couple days befor leaving for WCR2013. I had my car up on my lift last week for a valve adjust and was surprised to be down to the wear bars on the inner treads. That's in 12 months and only 12K miles!!

Other than the fast wear, I have not had a problem with the performance in either wet or dry.

For the price ($53 each), I can't really bitch about the accelerated wear,. . . but I still will.

Where did you get then for 53 they are ~80 on Tire Rack

Regards

James
Drums66
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 16 2013, 07:39 AM) *

Regards

James

...Often times(sears,costco,walmart)
idea.gif bye1.gif
442nd914s
I bought mine at tires.com (no affiliation). Here's what they look like (195/65R15)
Gt's vs oem Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
442nd914s
Not a great picture, but here they are installed. Btw, I bought 5 and put metal valve stems instead of rubberClick to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 15 2013, 08:56 PM) *

I've been running 195-60-15 GTs sice a couple days befor leaving for WCR2013.

How early did you leave for this year's WCR?!?! poke.gif blink.gif blink.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm driving straight from WCR'12 to WCR'13. . . I'm still on my way. My car's a clapped out 1.8L ya know. . . biggrin.gif driving.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 16 2013, 07:39 AM) *

Regards

James

That was the price at my local Discount Tire. I don't know if they were on sale at the time. I never asked. I needed tires like yesterday and they had a set.
jesiv
Pulled the trigger 195/65/15 Eagles. Next week new tires, turbo tie rods, sway bar, front and rear alignment. Car should handle much better!!
steuspeed
I would be very interested to hear your comments on the tires once you try them out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.