Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will these work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
Hi all,

A friend of a friend is cleaning out his garage and has a set of 4 fuchs 5-spoke wheels. I'm thinking these are real, not repros, as all have a little triangular mark with a stylized "PF" (or something similar) on the back, near the wheel size. Two are marked 7Jx16 (ET23.3), 911362115; the other two are 8Jx16 (ET45), 911361020.

The wheels appear to be in good shape--no scrapes, marks, dents, or bends--but the black in the centers (anodizing? paint?) is starting to "shed."

I'd always hoped to convert my car to 5-lug hubs and flare the fenders . . . . would these be a good starting point?

What's a fair price for a set like this? (I'll try to get/post pictures later).

Thanks in advance!

Steve A-
BIGKAT_83
I just got a set with no curb rash, good useable tires. 7/16 and 6/16 $350 and thought that was a deal. Seem like the 8/16 would be worth alot more

Bob
Hi_Fi_Guy
I have 6 x 16 Fuchs with no flares on my '74. Perfect fit, fill-up the wheel wells nicely, no rubbing at all.
iamchappy
Pick them up, they are hard to find in the 7 and 8s cheap. The 944 turbo Fuchs rims work best I think because of the 23mm backspacing, But you can always make the 911s work with spacers.
anthony
The 16x8s are worth some good money (maybe $200-$500 each depending on condition. The 16x7s are pretty common. Neither will fit a stock bodied 914 though without flares or substantial lip rolling, etc. As previously mentioned you want four 16x6es.
Brad Roberts
Yep. Ebay the 8's and collect some cashola. The 911 guy's suck those up like they are going out of style. The most common upgrade for 78 and up 911's is switching the stock 16x7's to the front of the 911 and installing 16x8 rears.

B
Series9
I have a friend who has 16x7 Fuchs with 205/45-16 rubber and they fit his stock bodied 914.

I've set up many 914s with 15x7 Porsche wheels in the 23.3mm offset without any problems, so I don't see how a 16x7 would be a problem.

The 16x8s are valuable wheels at this point because they were only delivered on the '86 951. If they're in good shape, I would buy them, but they won't fit your car without the addition of flares.
Brad Roberts
Yes. ALL the 914's can run 7's.. as long as you dont try any tire size over a 205. I personally dont like the look of a narrow 205 stretched over a 7 inch rim. Not all 205's are true 205's. A Hoosier 205 on a 7 is fine.. (they measure 215) but a Yokohama 205 measures 185.

B
anderssj
Thanks for all the quick responses!

His asking price is 200 for all four . . . so I think I'll get 'em. At worst, I can take Brad's advice and ebay the 16x8s. If you all are right, that might allow me to get a few other things I have on my list. wink.gif

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Steve A-
Eric_Shea
Don't "think" just do it... or give me his number (and I don't even need wheels).

agree.gif with everyone else 8"s are uncommon and go quick.
anderssj
It's a done deal! I pick the wheels up tomorrow. Now to source the rest of the pieces and parts . . . .

Thanks again for all the advice!

Steve A-
TimT
I have 911 front struts.. with hubs, brake calipers , discs, pads, hoses..
They are heavy.. shipping will be costly if your interested.
Jeroen
Are you sure the ET value of the 8's is 45? That seems odd (if not impossible)
There are 2 types of 8's, one was made for the 911 and the other for the 944.
They have slightly different offsets, see list below...
anderssj
Tim,

Thanks--I'll keep that in mind--I'll have to sell some more Volvo parts first sad.gif

Jeroen,

I'm not certain about the 45 mm offseton 8s--there's no "ET nn" stamped in the back like on the 7's. I assumed the 45mm offset as there was a "45" slightly below and to the right of the part number. I'll try measuring it tomorrow--and your chart should make that much easier.

Thanks!

Steve A-
boxstr
There might be someone on the club that might want to buy your 8" Fuchs. You could post them on the 914 club classifieds. For FREE....
CCLINEBAYISN"TALLWAYSTHEWAY
Joe Bob
I can use the 8s....even if they are curb rashed....I need more track wheels....send me an email at 356@cox.net
markb
QUOTE(anderssj @ Nov 26 2004, 04:30 PM)
It's a done deal! I pick the wheels up tomorrow. Now to source the rest of the pieces and parts . . . .

Thanks again for all the advice!

Steve A-

Make sure you wear a mask, at that price you're stealin' 'em. biggrin.gif
anderssj
You're right Mark. I should probably feel guilty . . . but maybe it's a karma thing.

I gave my friend (the one that introduced me to the guy with the wheels) a set of NOS 914 longitudinals, jack tubes, plates, etc, a couple of months ago (yes, GAVE).

I bought them new over 20 years ago (planning ahead?) and never needed them. He's got some bad rust going--to the point the doors are getting hard to close. I'd like to see him get it all back together.

Best,

Steve A-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.