Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the best cordless impact gun?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I tried the corded HF impact gun...returned it, would not loosen my 90 ft-lb lug nuts.

I tried the craftsman corded version. Essentially the same exact thing at twice the price. Returned it.

Now I spent about $300 for a dewalt 18v 3/4" unit. The thing is gigantic and heavy. Amazingly, it also will not loosen my freaking lug nuts, which I can undo easily by hand with my lug nut wrench. WTF?

I want an impact gun but I don't have space for a 60 gallon compressor. What's the best cordless impact gun? I know there's good ones out there because the NASCAR guys use them.
Mark Henry
Best one has an air hose attached....wink.gif
iamchappy
The Snap on and Ingersoll are probably the best, i am surprised the Dewalt didnt do the job, I have one of those Cheapo Pep Boys Goodyear Racing ones and it works fine on my lugs when the battery has a full charge.
tod914
S&W model 29
6freak
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 15 2013, 12:08 PM) *

I tried the corded HF impact gun...returned it, would not loosen my 90 ft-lb lug nuts.

I tried the craftsman corded version. Essentially the same exact thing at twice the price. Returned it.

Now I spent about $300 for a dewalt 18v 3/4" unit. The thing is gigantic and heavy. Amazingly, it also will not loosen my freaking lug nuts, which I can undo easily by hand with my lug nut wrench. WTF?

I want an impact gun but I don't have space for a 60 gallon compressor. What's the best cordless impact gun? I know there's good ones out there because the NASCAR guys use them.

sorry but you bought the wrong model look at the serial # sounds like you got the low torque model mines 18volt dewalt 3/4 and it spins off dry axle nuts and i have a witness maybe you can exchange? mines rated a 300LBS torgue good luck smile.gif sorry 1/2" drive
TheCabinetmaker
I've used 5 different brands, including; Bosch, dewalt, Makita, Hitachi, and a no name unit.

It's no contest. Bosch, period.
r_towle
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 15 2013, 03:08 PM) *

I want an impact gun but I don't have space for a 60 gallon compressor.

bs.gif

Top right corner, cut the bench down, get a stand up compressor.
or put it out back, build a nice little shed over it.
That way its quiet.

Come over and try and see all the fun air tools you can buy....its addictive.

Get Air...I also have corded, and have tried battery....nope.
Air rocks.

rich
d914
No where near the best,,, but the 1/2 corded HF will certainly do the job... Im going on 10 years with mine!!!! changed many a tire...
Jon H.
You can get a small 20 gallon 175psi compressor that will work fine. I used a small 13 gallon 135 psi for years until I bought a 60 gallon when I needed to paint.

Jon
Drums66
.....Smith&Wesson laugh.gif
bye1.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2013, 05:32 PM) *

bs.gif

That way its quiet.

Air rocks.

rich

Yah...
Trying to decide if we are going to stay in this house long term. If we do, 2 post lift and 60 gal are on the list.

But in the mean time...
VaccaRabite
Damn! For the price of the Snap - on gun you could have a 60 gallon compressor and an air powered impact gun and the option to run a ton more tools. Just get air and take it with you when you move. Not like its cemented to the floor.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 15 2013, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2013, 05:32 PM) *

bs.gif

That way its quiet.

Air rocks.

rich

Yah...
Trying to decide if we are going to stay in this house long term. If we do, 2 post lift and 60 gal are on the list.

But in the mean time...

Low boy, not stand up, it will fit under the bench.
I ran my tools for years with a smaller compressor, impact gun will work for a quick blast to get the lug nuts off.
A 911 on a 2 post lift is not cool.

And, look in groton, top ten school district.
Nice town, more land, bigger garages, less mortgage.
15 minutes to 495
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ May 15 2013, 02:11 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ May 15 2013, 12:08 PM) *

sorry but you bought the wrong model look at the serial # sounds like you got the low torque model mines 18volt dewalt 3/4 and it spins off dry axle nuts and i have a witness maybe you can exchange? mines rated a 300LBS torgue good luck smile.gif sorry 1/2" drive

Sorry I meant 1/2" drive DW 059 type 1 1650 RPM 2600BPM good luck
if your impact is just for your home go electric ,,JMO
smile.gif
iamchappy
My lugs are always under 100lbs i usually torque them to 94, I suppose that is why my Pep Boy Goodyear Racing cordless works just fine for me with tire changes. For big jobs i run my compressor up to 150 and use my IR Ti gun it has never let me down, makes those axle nuts come right off.

I love cordless for convenience, but if i plan on working on the cars for the afternoon i have to use my compressor operated tools....
zig-n-zag
I bought a Makita cordless impact wrench, model BTW200.
3000 impacts per min. on high, 2500 on low.
Max fastening torque on high is 144ftlbs, on low its 108ftlbs.
24V, 1/2" drive, weighs 6.1 lbs, and 30 min charging time.
I'm happy with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.