Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn contact repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I need to get a new piece or figure a way to repair. the part of the steering wheel, horn contact that accepts the wire. The blade is gone. The PO had soldered a blade on, but that one broke too. I have removed all the old solder.

Is this part available out there in the scrap world, cause AA says I have to buy a whole new steering wheel.

Click to view attachment

Mblizzard
I saw one sell recently for $15 in the classified sections. I need one also! So I think they are out there.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 15 2013, 01:00 PM) *

I need to get a new piece or figure a way to repair. the part of the steering wheel, horn contact that accepts the wire. The blade is gone. The PO had soldered a blade on, but that one broke too. I have removed all the old solder.

Is this part available out there in the scrap world, cause AA says I have to buy a whole new steering wheel.

Click to view attachment

"Aluminum"? IIRC, the plate is steel. The problem is getting the plate hot enough to accept the solder. You are gonna have a difficult time doing that unless you have a soldering furnace or some kind of spot welder.

Bruce Stone might have a plate.

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
Or you could cut two parallel grooves and bend up a new tab?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 15 2013, 03:07 PM) *

That, or drill a small hole and rivet on a new tab ...
chowtime.gif
rgalla9146

Solder a male wire end to the plate using a BernsOMatic torch and liberal solder flux with electrical solder. When it flows onto the surface you'll be good. Get all parts shiney clean first.
jbachert
I tacked on a connector with one or two shots from my MIG welder.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 15 2013, 04:57 PM) *

"Aluminum"? IIRC, the plate is steel. The problem is getting the plate hot enough to accept the solder. You are gonna have a difficult time doing that unless you have a soldering furnace or some kind of spot welder.

Bruce Stone might have a plate.

The Cap'n

I guessed aluminum cause a magnet will not stick to it. Stainless?
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2013, 05:13 PM) *

That, or drill a small hole and rivet on a new tab ...
chowtime.gif

I thought of that one, but wondered about the rivet touching. This piece is isolated on both sides. there are 3 plastic bushings on one side and 3 fiber washers on the other.
malcolm2
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 15 2013, 05:17 PM) *

Solder a male wire end to the plate using a BernsOMatic torch and liberal solder flux with electrical solder. When it flows onto the surface you'll be good. Get all parts shiney clean first.

Solder will not stick to that surface. At least the stuff I used. It floats like a bead of water on a jar full of moonshine. screwy.gif

I found a Youtube video and the dude used UNIWELD. Lots of online dealers. Maybe an HVAC shop, cause he was and HVAC guy and soldered an aluminum pipe to a copper one.
malcolm2
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 15 2013, 05:07 PM) *

BRILLIANT! You win the prize. What a great solution, seriously. Not really even "out of the box" thinking either.

Thanks,
Clark
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 15 2013, 04:37 PM) *

I saw one sell recently for $15 in the classified sections. I need one also! So I think they are out there.

Still available new....brand new for $17
Dave_Darling
A buddy of mine used silver solder to put a new tab on the one in my car.

--DD
Eric_Shea

Not possible. AA says you need to buy the entire wheel! ohmy.gif

Just another example of a sheeplove.gif from George.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 16 2013, 10:47 AM) *

Not possible. AA says you need to buy the entire wheel! ohmy.gif

Just another example of a sheeplove.gif from George.

....Sucks having the same name as him. I feel like every post I make is immediately taken with his reputation in mind.
r_towle
You could change your name if it bothers you.

malcolm2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 15 2013, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 15 2013, 05:07 PM) *

BRILLIANT! You win the prize. What a great solution, seriously. Not really even "out of the box" thinking either.

Thanks,
Clark

Perfect repair. Used my Harbor Freight 16,000 rpm imitation dremel and just cut straight from the OEM hole back about 1/4". bent it up slightly and the 3/16" female wire connector slipped on snugly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.