Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Significance of a -6 VIN for resale on a 3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
Okay, I was looking at my 914 with the 3.2 in it last night, and was thinking "God, I wanna strip the whole thing and put it on a rotissery, and make it like brand new." I love my car so much, and I know at some point in time, it will be up for sale, although I don't see it for at least 10 years.

Now, would I be better off buying a -6 chasis, and doing a rustoration on that instead of my -4 chasis? Would it be worth the extra money to have it? I am not sure because of the fact there will be a 3.2 in it, and I would kinda feel bad hacking away a -6 to make the 3.2 work right, i.e. front mount oil cooler, A/C, flares, cage, etc. But, if the resale value will help it any.... I know people hack them apart all the time because they need the VIN for the race cars, which pisses me off. But, for a car that I will hopefully never want/have to sell, I am thinking that maybe it is the way to go. I might also want to weld in a roof.

What would a bare bones -6 roller cost me? If I can find one within like 500 miles, I can pick it up. I already have the 911 front suspension and all that mess, although it would be nice to have something to put on my -4 so I could sell it at some point with like a 2.0 in it.

How many hours do you think I would have in a rustoration? I don't want to buy anything that is structurally screwed up, I don't want the headaches with making sure it will track straight and what not. I was looking at my car and it doesn't look like there is a whole helluva lot to it, so I couldn't imagine stripping the thing down to nothing would be all that time consuming.

Whichever route I go, I will also be updating the car wiring wise, laying sound deadening, and installing power windows, power door locks, etc. I want to have a 1970/71 car, that is basically an 04/05. I know this isn't 100% practical, and I am not looking to spend a million bucks, but you understand what I am going for. When I have the car painted, the whole thing will be painted, regardless of what will be covered up. I want you to be able to peel back the dynamat, and it be the same color as the rest of the car. If I am going to do it, I want it done right.

Yeah, it's a lot of money to invest in a car that won't even be original, but to me, if i drive it for 10 years, and am happy with it, then who cares? Yeah, when I sell it, I might only get 50% of what I put into it, but you can't put a price on jumping in a car that you are happy with every day.

Any thoughts or ideas?
davep
If your current chassis is good, then keep it and do the restoration on it. I don't see any great benefit to finding a /6 chassis to do up. When it comes time to sell I think you will be further ahead with what you have.
Hi_Fi_Guy
I think a 3.2 in a "4" chassis will attract buyers. A lot of the people who would have to have a "6" chassis would most likely also want it to be mod-free.

Build the car you want, enjoy it. Do it once, do it right, when the time comes to sell there will always be a markey for really well done cars.
Series9
QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Nov 26 2004, 03:14 PM)
I think a 3.2 in a "4" chassis will attract buyers. A lot of the people who would have to have a "6" chassis would most likely also want it to be mod-free.

Build the car you want, enjoy it. Do it once, do it right, when the time comes to sell there will always be a markey for really well done cars.

agree.gif

The only difference in the two chassis is the motor mounts and the VIN.

I used a nice '72 /4 as the basis for my build and have no regrets (even though Eric thinks I should have changed my motor mount to the /6 style). cool.gif

When I select a shell for my next build, it will be chosen strictly based upon its condition and not for its history.
East coaster
Joe, You have the PMS firewall mount right? Do you have any gripes with it? It's what I have, but I haven't welded it in yet.
Series9
QUOTE(East coaster @ Nov 26 2004, 06:06 PM)
Joe, You have the PMS firewall mount right? Do you have any gripes with it? It's what I have, but I haven't welded it in yet.

I have the 'updated' PMS cross bar mount, not the firewall mount.
Series9
Here's a pic of the mount...
Joe Bob
When it breaks....expect no help from PMS....
anthony
I disagree with what was previously said. A real six with a 3.2 will be worth a good $5-10K over a four cylinder conversion. Lots of people are looking for a real six with more hp.

In any case you will definitely get your money back in the end because of a real 914-6 vin. The hard part is finding an appropriate chassis. Just because of availability, it may make more sense going with the four cylinder chassis.
Series9
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 26 2004, 09:38 PM)
When it breaks....expect no help from PMS....

I've heard about some problems with the first ones, but not the 'updated' version. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

If it gives me any trouble, I'm quite sure I can strip it and beef it up into something that won't.

I know Jim Patrick and can tell you that he's stood behind all his stuff with me. I have read about some others having a hard time with him, but I have to base my opinion of him on my personal experience.
Joe Bob
Good luck...tell him "I" will never buy wet spit from him....one pissy phone call turned me off from him big time.....at least "I" know I'm a pain in the ass....the crap he gave me turned me off big time when I was a newbie back in the Pleistocene Era....

I then spent my 10k with people that care about 914s....I've been told that lately he has mellowed out...matter of fact his product has also improved and I have to say I've seen his stuff and it's nice....but I still am irked at his attitude from the past......kinda like my GrandPa hating Herbert Hoover....ain't gonna get over it.....
iiibdsiil
Thanks for the replies guys. I am gonna start my search for a rust free roller, or at least as little rust as possible.

BTW, I have the PMS bar, and it doesn't give me any problems whatsoever.
Eric_Shea
You could have AA weld in a -6 VIN w00t.gif
iiibdsiil
I know someone locally that would do that for me too.
Eric_Shea
I know where I can get a -6 VIN. There's one on a rotisserie (sic) just up the road from me laugh.gif

What are friends for hey Gint? drunk.gif
hi ho silber
iiibdsiil,

Wasn't there a guy selling a -6 tub in the classifieds.

Don't know anything about it, but it was in Fl somewhere.

Good luck!
hi ho silber
Sorry,
Just look the tub I saw in the classifieds is in NJ!

NJ or FL does it matter? Their both east of here! <_<
iiibdsiil
Thanks sir.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.