Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle Float
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
okieflyr
So with the stock axles that use the c-clip to anchor the cv assembly, versus some of the custom built ones that allow the joint to self center and float. Should the axle be expected to have some float from end to end(by hand) to compensate for the change in length through the arc of movement?

I've noticed that the axles have float when the car is in the air, but not when on the ground. My axle set up is custom without the c-clips and has worked well for a number of years. I started getting a circular grind noise for nano second today under some g-force turns. So I went looking. never noticed the tight axles (playwise) before and had me worried. Hoping it was gravel from the parking lot 20 minutes earlier. I've not ruled out suspension console/bushing movement contributing to end load onto the joint, but i'm looking for ideas.

Thanks.
McMark
The axle should have movement, but better condition CV joints will limit the movement.
914_teener
So how much lateral movement is ok with the car in the air?
McMark
My 'test' which I sorta made up, is that if you can cause the axle to hit the inner or outer stub axle it's too loose.
okieflyr
Thanks Mark.

I don't think i'm going to find the noise source until it fails completely or I take it apart and inspect everything. lot's of moving parts back there. I'm on a road trip with the car and flogging it hard. I hope it holds whatever it is, and then 800 miles of driving back home. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.