Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchanger prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
L-Jet914
I was wondering how much a used set of oem heat exchangers for a 1.8L go for these days? I have a set that I just removed from my car as I installed a set of SSI heat exchangers. I can post pics so I can get an accurate price range based on the condition and if needed if it would benefit from cleaning and painting them.
914Sixer
I would say $200-$250 depending on the sheet metal around tubes. Are they loose or rattle? Cleaning would be a plus.
L-Jet914
Here are some pictures of the heat exchangers as they stand right now. They have been on the car since 74 and taken off at least once during an engine rebuild that my father had done before my time. If they turn out not to be worth anything in their current condition possible scrap maybe?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
1.7/1.8 SSI heat exchangers have not been selling in our classifieds for $200 for the last couple of years. Let alone stock steelies...
L-Jet914
Thanks for letting me know about the movement of stock heat exchangers in the past few years. Would you recommend just scrapping them?
Porsche930dude
certainly put them in the classifieds before scrapping them. as long as you dont have to ship them too far somebody surely could use them
L-Jet914
Thank you for your input Porsche930. Now just to figure out a decent price to sell them at in their current condition.
JawjaPorsche
I definitely would not scrap them unless they are fried. I updated to stainless last year and one of my old steel exchangers was definitely fried so I scrapped that one. I gave other away but the shipping cost was $30 for one and I shipped parcel post.

I would test the waters by asking $75 plus shipping. If you clean them up and painted them, I would ask $125 plus shipping.

Good luck.
JamesM
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 18 2013, 01:37 AM) *

I definitely would not scrap them unless they are fried. I updated to stainless last year and one of my old steel exchangers was definitely fried so I scrapped that one. The other I gave away but the shipping cost was $30 for one and I shipped parcel post.

I would test the waters by asking $75 plus shipping. If you clean them up and painted them, I would ask $125 plus shipping.

Good luck.

agree.gif 75 bucks, maybe 50 if you want to move them faster. They are the slightly nicer style of 1.7/1.8 exchangers with the heaver tabs so someone might want them. I would not scrap them.
PanelBilly
I say offer them up for the cost of shipping. This is a brotherhood of fools who care about keeping these cars alive. Give them away. The good deed will come back to you some day
L-Jet914
Thank you all for your helpful inputs. Much appreciated.
L-Jet914
It seems I have an interested member here that would like my oem stock steelies. I guess forum posting/word gets around fast. biggrin.gif Now to get a shipping quote to him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.