Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possessed Horn???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72Signal914
This happened a while back when I was still driving the car. I went out for a drive driving.gif w/ my dad and when we were driving the horn went off for a split second and I didn't even touch it mad.gif we went over a little bump that you enevitably cannot avoid (nothing major, like a smaller speed bump) and then all of a sudden the horn goes off like crazy and I'm not touching it. It goes long, then short, quiet, then short, then short, then long, etc. devil.gif (and I've got the double horns, so it's LOUD!) You get the picture.

So we're going down my street and of course its during the weekend and everyone is out doing yard work and such and my HORN is BLARING down the street. Pretty embarassing even when you aren't doing anything. I turn off the car and it's still going and going and going. I pull the battery clamps to turn it off. Since I had no idea what the HELL to do, I just clipped the power wire to horns (right next to it, it can still be re-wired w/ ease).

icon14.gif Now when I get up and running where should I look for the problem. The wiring looked okay (not pulled or messy) by the horn and my uncle (previous owner) said it might be in the steering column. I couldn't pull that apart or anything since I'm not mechanically skilled (yet) , but I need to diagnose he problem sometime soon.

Karl when I get it running I'll have you look at it, but info from others is appreciated

Thanks
Zeke
Most likely behind the horn ring on the steering wheel. I've had this problem. Someone tell him how to remove that sucker, I forget. Twist to the left?
SirAndy
2 places.

1st, the steering wheel. see if it shortens out there.
what kind of wheel do you run? stock? momo?

2nd, the horns. look at the connectors on both horns.
they are on 12v constantly, the steering wheel button brakes the ground.
soooo, if the horn's are grounded somewhere angainst the car-body (broken wire/connector) they will go off wink.gif

Andy
Aaron Cox
has the same prob. 1st rotate hornpad to left. then buy a lil 7 dollar part and replace the rubber piece that holdds the hornpad contacts aloof.
problem solved! biggrin.gif
Qarl
What they said! If that doesn't work, bring it over and I can look at it.

Karl
72Signal914
I won't matter because I have to re-connect the wires to the horns anyway since I clipped them, but I'm sure it's in the steering column and since I don't know a lick about the electrical system, I bring it over to you before I touch it. The only thing I've been doing is cleaning my trunk and engine bay since it was dirty, this Orange foam cleaner that I use works wonders (and smells good too!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.