Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
Ok. After three years, my first 914 is nearly done. All stock 1.7L 1970.
Purdy.
A project my son was supposed to do, yet.... 99% done by Dad.
As long and tedious as it was, I'm about to do it again. Somewhere along the way I became enamored with this little Porsche orphan.... but I'm not a 1.7L guy.
My crazy idea. 2.7L Boxster engine and drive train. Plus I need AC, Sacramento is too hot for me. Don't really want to do a Suby or Frankenstein conversion. I love the Porsche sound.
Has anyone done this or attempted to do this?
Would love some guidance before I bid on Salvaged Boxsters.
monkeyboy
From what I have read it's much more than a motor swap. The heads are wider than the trailing arm mounts. You would need to redesign the whole rear suspension to get it to fit.

I haven't seen anyone that has done it.
ConeDodger
There is a guy in San Jose who was working on it. The previous poster is correct, the engine is too wide for the suspension and requires major modifications.
rick 918-S
I thought someone posted a car in Australia that was done without cutting the suspension.
jeff
Boxters are nice and are probably less expensive than a nice 914.. Why not just buy one and drive it?
McMark
What does a Boxster 2.7 get you that a 911 3.6 doesn't? Why deal with all the extra headaches when a bigger option that bolts in is available. wink.gif

But to answer your question, no one has done it and posted a build thread here that I've seen. It may have happened out there somewhere, but there won't be much info to guide you. See if you can find a motor to go take some measurements off of.
Jon H.
These guys are putting a 914 body on a boxter chassis. Wicked Garage

I was at the shop yesterday, nice bunch of guys and from what I've seen they do nice work. I'm looking forward to watching this thing progress.
polo classic
QUOTE(Jon H. @ May 16 2013, 06:12 PM) *

I was at the shop yesterday, nice bunch of guys and from what I've seen they do nice work. I'm looking forward to watching this thing progress.

some Swedes did this a year or two ago also
Jon H.
QUOTE(polo classic @ May 18 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Do you happen to have any more info on it?
bandjoey
WHAT? Is that the way to put a Boxter in a 914????!!

av-943.gif
polo classic
QUOTE(Jon H. @ May 19 2013, 12:04 AM) *

It was a school class who did it and it was featured in the swedish car magazine Bilsport
Jon H.
QUOTE(polo classic @ May 18 2013, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Jon H. @ May 19 2013, 12:04 AM) *

It was a school class who did it and it was featured in the swedish car magazine Bilsport

Thanks, there was also this beetle with a Boxter chassis.Bugster
bandjoey
QUOTE(Jon H. @ May 16 2013, 11:12 AM) *

Email

No Sir, we started working the teardown on both cars. The 914 is going to get media blasted next week. I'll get some pics out there soon.

Roger Grenon
Phone: 613-788-3701
roger@wickedgarage,com

Wicked Garage Inc.
1344 Barfield Road
Greely, ON - K4P 1A1
www.wickedgarage.com
Fax: 613-822-7336

On 2013-05-18, at 6:43 PM, William Andrews <bandjoey@icloud.com> wrote:

Updates please

Sent from my iPhone
GeorgeRud
Why not do the easy thing and simply do a -6 conversion? If you use a 2.0 or 2.2 liter engine, there are no cooling problems, and parts pretty much bolt on with minimal fabrication.

It also keeps the car all 'Porsche' (or VW-Porsche if you prefer).
Drums66
QUOTE(jeff @ May 16 2013, 08:14 AM) *

Boxters are nice and are probably less expensive than a nice 914.. Why not just buy one and drive it?

......Simply,my thoughts shades.gif
bye1.gif
Niklas
Hello!

Check it out the swedish boxster/914:

http://vimeo.com/61547206

http://tgyspeedshop.blogg.se/2012/january/

Niklas
dlkawashima
Here's a thread on the bird board ...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...conversion.html
WickedMan
QUOTE(Niklas @ May 19 2013, 04:32 PM) *

Hello!

Check it out the swedish boxster/914:

http://vimeo.com/61547206

http://tgyspeedshop.blogg.se/2012/january/

Niklas

Thanks for sharing these two links, Very helpful images and video for our 914/Boxster conversion.

Our project is finally getting underway and I'll be posting more pics real soon.

The best place to view pics on our project are on our FlickR account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedgarage/sets/

Roger
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(WickedMan @ May 23 2013, 09:31 PM) *

Thanks for sharing these two links, Very helpful images and video for our 914/Boxster conversion.

Our project is finally getting underway and I'll be posting more pics real soon.

The best place to view pics on our project are on our FlickR account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedgarage/sets/

Roger

welcome.png

Cool project!
WickedMan
We recently sent the shell off for media blasting and we're hoping most of the car comes back! But we found that both doors are in terrible shape. Many repairs and lots of thick bondo. I found quite a few doors on-line but was wondering where I could find a pair of rust free door shells. Or even new doors if they exist...
WickedMan
We recently sent the shell off for media blasting and we're hoping most of the car comes back! But we found that both doors are in terrible shape. Many repairs and lots of thick bondo. I found quite a few doors on-line but was wondering where I could find a pair of rust free door shells. Or even new doors if they exist...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(WickedMan @ May 25 2013, 07:52 AM) *

Mike's 914 in Colborne, ON, 905-355-2703, but fair warning he won't give good ones away cheap, he'd rather keep them for his restoration customers.
Still will be cheaper than shipping from the US.
Mark Henry
dp
Dave_Darling
Rich Bontempi At High Performance House in Redwood City CA has dozens of doors. Well, of anything actually. He doesn't give his parts away either, and shipping costs may be painful for something the size of a door.

Check the Classifieds BBS; you may find people closer to you selling doors, among other parts.

Easier to use 73+ doors on a 73+ car; easier to use 70-72 doors on an early car.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.