Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gunny
Is the sock on the fuel supply side or the return side? I thought I knew but when I took the tank out the PO had the lines crossed. I thought that the sock should be on the supply side.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(gunny @ May 16 2013, 01:30 PM) *

Is the sock on the fuel supply side or the return side? I thought I knew but when I took the tank out the PO had the lines crossed. I thought that the sock should be on the supply side.

Yep! agree.gif
Type 47
what is "the sock"?
worn
QUOTE(Type 47 @ May 16 2013, 06:26 PM) *

what is "the sock"?

Fine copper mesh to keep the big pieces of rust out of the fuel pump. It goes onto the outlet tube like a sock.
rhodyguy
the sock is located inside the tank on the supply outlet. you have to remove the capturing nut to change them out. when the tank is empty you can look inside to see its condition. chances are you have a build up of debris in the shallow well that surrounds the outlet if the tank has not been serviced in recent history.
Type 47
Which one is in and out? where does the sock go? this is a 75' tank from a 62k mile car, only time tank has been out of car.
IPB Image
IPB Image
walterolin
On my 1970, the return is the one closest to the center line, and the supply line is larger than the return. I don't think the sock will go into the return, and there is a baffle just inside the intake which would block it anyway.

The real problem will be the two nuts, they are aluminum, and the threads on the tank are steel, which likely will be rusted under the aluminum. When I took my nuts off, the aluminum stripped and stuck to the steel, I had to buy new nuts - they are different sizes, I found them at AA. And while you are there get the nonmetal gaskets. From your photo, it looks like both of your lines are the same size, the '75 might be different from mine.

Then you have to clean up the threads on the tank fittings. I couldn't find a chaser, and it took a long time with a machinist's scribe and a Dremel to pick out all of the aluminum and clean out the rust. The new nuts will be aluminum too, and you can't use them for a chaser because they are too soft. The PET at AA calls them "union nuts" and shows two different nuts for all years. http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/201-00.php
bcheney
QUOTE(Type 47 @ May 18 2013, 01:36 PM) *

Which one is in and out? where does the sock go? this is a 75' tank from a 62k mile car, only time tank has been out of car.
IPB Image
IPB Image

I don't remember which is which from external visual. Loosen the nut on each and remove. You will then see which has the sock. Additonally, I think there is a small basin around the supply side inside the tank.
r_towle
you can see both of them in the pick
The tall this IS the sock.
The hole to the left is the return.

Rich
Drums66
....I leave it out!(dirty sock) & use filter's shades.gif
bye1.gif .......That's just me!
r_towle
New socks are readily available at your favorite vw bus store.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.