Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: temp concerns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
6freak
Anyone every have an issue with a 2.4 developing to much heat in a 914 with a stock oil cooler set up? and if so what did you do to fix the issue or could you?
thanks smile.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(6freak @ May 16 2013, 02:32 PM) *

Anyone every have an issue with a 2.4 developing to much heat in a 914 with a stock oil cooler set up? and if so what did you do to fix the issue or could you?
thanks smile.gif

/6 or /4?
sixnotfour
2.4-6 9.5-1 compression
sixnotfour
I have the same motor and have ran it in 3 different chassis, everywhere,
except SoCal never a problem.. My 2.0 -4 gets hot in SoCal.
McMark
agree.gif Should be fine. Are you having problems? Or planning ahead?
6freak
QUOTE(McMark @ May 16 2013, 08:23 PM) *

agree.gif Should be fine. Are you having problems? Or planning ahead?

building a 2.4 for my 6 and was just looking for 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions(because its alot of money) and there`ll be some extra goodys to help with the cooling so i think im gold n .ok thanks everyone

smile.gif no cutting on the car
SLITS
If you were to talk to Dave at TRE Motorsports, he would tell you that anything 2.4L and above requires an extra cooler.

The 2.4L I had in my first conversion would get hot when climbing the mountains in CA, but otherwise would stay reasonably stable. I will admit the engine was quite used.
6freak
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 17 2013, 10:05 AM) *

If you were to talk to Dave at TRE Motorsports, he would tell you that anything 2.4L and above requires an extra cooler.

The 2.4L I had in my first conversion would get hot when climbing the mountains in CA, but otherwise would stay reasonably stable. I will admit the engine was quite used.

Ive heard the same thing!but here in the great PNW we rarely see even 90 degrees,and my source has lots of experiance with this same set up with no issues,but when I`m putt n that much money out i wanted more of the one opinion thanks
biggrin.gif man i cant wait to hit loud pedal on that S.O.B driving.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 17 2013, 01:05 PM) *

I will admit the engine was quite used.

I am stunned.
sixnotfour
FYI, your Not spending that much money, relatively speaking.. Ha!
Randal

Can't tell you about 2.4-6's, but 2.7-6's stay cool with front oil coolers. We ran the Beast in very hot weather and it never got much over 200 degrees with a front cooler.

I didn't run it at Butttonwillow, now that would have been the test. piratenanner.gif

My 2.4-4 has never even got past 180 degrees, with a front oil cooler, but my longest run was slightly less than 5 minutes in 90 degree weather essentially flat out. The Medford Fall Enduro has 65 corners, so lots of up and down throttle and downshifting going on.

To be honest after running big front coolers, I would never run without one. dry.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Randal @ May 17 2013, 02:04 PM) *

Can't tell you about 2.4-6's, but 2.7-6's stay cool with front oil coolers. We ran the Beast in very hot weather and it never got much over 200 degrees with a front cooler.

I didn't run it at Butttonwillow, now that would have been the test. piratenanner.gif

My 2.4-4 has never even got past 180 degrees, with a front oil cooler, but my longest run was slightly less than 5 minutes in 90 degree weather essentially flat out. The Medford Fall Enduro has 65 corners, so lots of up and down throttle and downshifting going on.

To be honest after running big front coolers, I would never run without one. dry.gif

I just dont have that option Randal I wish. i just cant come to cut n a factory six and i know a few guys here in the great PNW that would skin me or at least do this chair.gif if i did....but i have no worries! things gonna put the ass whopp n on some stuff when its done...not gonna make WCR cause i dont wanna rush the project , but that track woulda been a good break in for it
biggrin.gif
Tom
You be walking a slipery slope Mike!! More power leads to wanting more traction and you know the rest. biggrin.gif
Tom
orchid914
QUOTE(6freak @ May 16 2013, 02:32 PM) *

thanks smile.gif

With a 2258 cc motor, I took the oil cooler off the engine, put a big one up front, and put the FAT Performance 911 cooling fan system on. No problems on the hottest of track days.
6freak
QUOTE(Tom @ May 17 2013, 03:29 PM) *

You be walking a slipery slope Mike!! More power leads to wanting more traction and you know the rest. biggrin.gif
Tom

that will be next years winter project Tom ,besides i have some AO32R`s that need to be melted down
smile.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(6freak @ May 17 2013, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 17 2013, 02:04 PM) *

I just dont have that option Randal I wish. i just cant come to cut n a factory six and i know a few guys here in the great PNW that would skin me or at least do this chair.gif if i did....but i have no worries! things gonna put the ass whopp n on some stuff when its done...not gonna make WCR cause i dont wanna rush the project , but that track woulda been a good break in for it
biggrin.gif

You might take a look at hanging it under the front bumper... seems like I've seen some really old school photos of the install like that.. route the oil lines under the rocker panels maybe...
J P Stein
About the only thing you can do for more cooling that dosen't show on the 6 are the air deflector mods....Jeff knows how to do it if you don't already know.

Other than that, you have added yourself to the "I want it all but won't do what it takes" 914 group. Next I exlpect you to post something about "I want big fat tires but I can't flare the car because it's so fucking special.'
JRust
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 18 2013, 07:00 AM) *
Next I exlpect you to post something about "I want big fat tires but I can't flare the car because it's so fucking special.'

lol-2.gif . JP your a funny old guy. We need to see you at WCR this year
J P Stein
QUOTE(JRust @ May 18 2013, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 18 2013, 07:00 AM) *
Next I exlpect you to post something about "I want big fat tires but I can't flare the car because it's so fucking special.'

lol-2.gif . JP your a funny old guy. We need to see you at WCR this year

Yeah, I'm getting mellow in my old age......... rolleyes.gif
6freak
so fucking special.'
as are you JP lol-2.gif but hang in there buddy cause we love ya hahahaha yes im gonna do the small deflectors,change the rear valance and modify an engine lid.....and i need a project to look forward to so i cant do it all in one winter,,,and im not really concerned with traction just yet

biggrin.gif still laughing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.