Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car is dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
Last week I thought I needed a battery. It was low but I could hear the fuel pump, just not enough power to start. I put on charger. I got it to start. Figured I needed a new battery or that there was a draw on the battery. Went to Advance Auto. Analyzer said battery was fine. As a precaution, I bought a good Sears battery maintainer. I was gone until today. Maintainer says battery fully charged. I try to start the car -- absolutely NOTHING. No fuel pump. No nothing. I tried to start with big jump starter I have. No nothing. It doesn't even spark as I connect it as it usually does.

Voltmeter says there is 12.7 across battery terminals. There is 12V at the fuse block.

I am confused. I've seen defective batteries that acted like this. But it is supposedly charged and jump starter has no effect. What am I missing? Help
biosurfer1
relay?
underthetire
And check the ground strap.
442nd914s
When you turn the key do any of the component work or light up? I.e. turn signals, headlights, wipers
If so, then I would start at tge ground terminal then cables at the starter. Check for voltage at the starter. Also check for voltage at the coil + with ignition on.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 16 2013, 03:06 PM) *

And check the ground strap.

agree.gif
+1 you can have all the juice in the world and without proper grounding you will not spin the starter...
jfort
QUOTE(scotty boy @ May 16 2013, 02:43 PM) *

Check your positive cable there's 4 little red cables that power th various components. They are crimped to the cable where it connects to the battery. Some times they work loose or are oxidized. Try moving the cable clamp around the battery post. You may need to strip back 1/4 inch and recrimp the red cables to get a better connection.

Step two: clean your grounding posts and ground for the negative cable where it connects to the brass post on the inner fender.

Step three check your plastic ignition switch it may have a crack in it.

Thanks, Scotty Boy. It was your step 2. In hooking up the battery maintainer last week, I wired in the negative terminal lug to where the negative battery cable bolts to the inner fender. Your advice made be check that. SURE ENOUGH, no ground from battery to car. YOU'RE THE MAN.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.