Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver Surfer
Well, I've got a 39 year old car rolling on what I just found out are 30 year old (1983!) tires. Somewhat embarrassing and dangerous.

The good news is that given the condition of the tire tread, the maintenance documentation I have that only goes to 35,000 miles and the general astonishment of my mechanics in the condition of the engine, I think this car has a true 48,000 miles on it!

Time to get new tires though and while I'd love to replace the steel wheels in the process, the budget won't allow it before summer. Suggestions on tire brands and size are greatly appreciated, because I have no idea what I'm looking for, but I want to fill those wheel wells with rubber (without modifications).

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
205/60 will fit and give you nice bulgy sidewalls without rubbing on MOST cars. Works great on my car. Also keeps your speedo near real numbers.

Google "super sprint" if you are looking for a tire in a stock tire size.

Zach
914Sixer
Vredstein Tires, OE German supplier. 185x70x15 $125 each on internet
McMark
Keep the steel wheels with the beauty rings! Don't see that very often.

I can see it's a 73, but is it Marathon Blue Metallic? Or Silver? Either way, it looks gorgeous.
speed metal army
QUOTE(McMark @ May 16 2013, 08:22 PM) *

I can see it's a 73, but is it Marathon Blue Metallic? Or Silver? Either way, it looks gorgeous.

I love that wheel look.Dont change it! beerchug.gif
Silver Surfer

She's a silver 74 2.0 actually. My second favorite 914 color next to marathon blue metallic.

The more I look at the four lug options for our cars the more these steel wheels grow on me. Maybe I'll have them widened someday. dry.gif

The trim rings do make them stand out a bit and they're cheap to replace (the rings and the wheels). The vintage tires will have to go though. Now I'm afraid to even drive her to work as is. It's funny what a little knowledge can do. Time to do some tire research!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
orthobiz
I just bought a set of "vintage" new tires from Coker, Michelin XZX, 165SR15's. Will put them on my steel wheels for the upcoming Porsche Parade, as those are the wheels that came with the car. Gotta admit, though, the skinny tires do not make my heart race any faster! But, that's the way the cars were delivered...

Paul

IPB Image

The trim rings look cool but I believe they were never spec'd for our cars.

IPB Image

The wheel on the left is the wrong color silver, the right is the original spare.
KELTY360
QUOTE(speed metal army @ May 16 2013, 08:55 PM) *

x3
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 17 2013, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ May 16 2013, 08:55 PM) *

x3

Nice tires! I'm torn between keeping things original spec and finally getting some more rubber under the car like it deserves. You're right that the skinny tires do not inspire much confidence (especially in tight turns on rainy Oregon hills).

I have to admit that I modified the steel wheel appearance when I first got the car. The original silver on silver left the car looking really plain in my opinion, and I was wishing it had Fuchs or something. The black powder coating and trim rings are all me. That and the clear lenses, but I figured those things are easy to switch out should I want to go concourse with her in the future! biggrin.gif
Silver Surfer
Hmm... I don't know how I responded to everybody but Orthobiz in the above post. I think I need a forum response training. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.