Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
13b914
I have a ravenna green 1973 914 (No Motor). The car had minimal rust in the rear trunk that has been repaired and a slight amount of rust on the passenger side rear floor pan. The car is as solid as it can be. I added the chasis re-enforcement and I also welded in beef up plates for the rear suspension ears. I have pictures of the underside of the car while it was on the rottisserie and while it was bare metal. The rockers are all original and have no rust. It has metal flares, immitation fuchs. I was going to go watercooled so it already has a radiator with all the shrouding and fan set-up. I modified the front bumper with the 350Z billet grill as many others have done. I also fabbed a gt style engine grill. I would include new aftermarket bumper tops and just about all the rubber seals. The car has a 5 lug set-up from a 911 in the front and drilled rear hubs(all Bilstein and delrin bushings with grease fittings). It also has a 23mm front sway bar. The rear stock sway bar will come with the car but it's not installed. Also included would be powder coated black side mirrors along with powder coated black door handles. the rear valance is steel and has been fitted to the flares, the front valance is fiberglass and still needs fitment. Rear trunk is fiberglass and fits decent. The rocker panels are fiberglass and still need a little work but they are a close fit. the seats are grey leather and look really good. Also comes with a pearlon carpet kit. I have just about all the parts to put the car back together. I'm trying to get a ballpark number of what I should try to sell at. I'm sure there is plenty i'm leaving out.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
A&PGirl
I would go ahead repair the rust in the passage floor pan and document (pics in a binder) of doing so before in any paint or more assembly.

Documentation of work done does raise the price. Take very careful high resolution pictures all over the hellhole and down the long to reinforce the "rust free-ness" will help with a quicker sell and higher receiving price. Include the pedal cluster in the passenger compartment, on the underside and gas tank area as well.

I would start at $6000 then raise the price with all work and reassembly carefully documented (in a binder w/pics & receipts). Do you have a clean and clear title for the car?

Since I don't know what other work needs to be done or the condition things currently are all I can offer is my suggestion.
r_towle
its a project car, so that values it much lower than a running car.
You have focused the build on a watercooled car, so that limits your audience.

I would not be aas kind as AP Girl, mainly because I buy them frequently...as projects.

I would say 2-3k is what it might be worth, if you happen to find the right buyer.
You may have to come down from there to get a nibble.

I see a minimum of 10k to get the car completed.
Paint alone could take half of that costs.
Then you need to acquire a motor and sort through the install, transmission, etc etc.

At the end of the day, a well done watercooled car is still 10-15k depending upon the market and level of details.

rich
13b914
Thanks for your replies so far. All the rust repair is done and I will get some good pictures of all the typical rust prone areas. I don't want to over price it. I may think about selling the water cooled parts seperately.
A&PGirl
My line of thought was:

You are presenting the car as with all the work done (body/paint/suspension/steering/electrical/interior) and the buyer adds their engine/transmission of choice to it. Then they can drive it. No worry about rust or any other serious expenses in the near future.

mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2013, 04:05 PM) *

its a project car, so that values it much lower than a running car.
You have focused the build on a watercooled car, so that limits your audience.

I would not be aas kind as AP Girl, mainly because I buy them frequently...as projects.

I would say 2-3k is what it might be worth, if you happen to find the right buyer.
You may have to come down from there to get a nibble.

I see a minimum of 10k to get the car completed.
Paint alone could take half of that costs.
Then you need to acquire a motor and sort through the install, transmission, etc etc.

At the end of the day, a well done watercooled car is still 10-15k depending upon the market and level of details.

rich

agree.gif even at $2-3k, you might have to part it out if you want to get some of your money back.
sixnotfour
Don't under price yourself as little rust 914's are rare back east esp with the add ons you have posted, just takes a bit of time for the right buyer...I disagree with the 2-3k number..
siverson
It's about $1000 to have a car shipped from west to east (or visa versa). So the price differential shouldn't be more than that...
13b914
I'm gathering all the pictures of when the underside of the car was stripped to bare metal. Its originally an Arizona car. Thanks for everyone's help.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 17 2013, 10:29 PM) *

Don't under price yourself as little rust 914's are rare back east esp with the add ons you have posted, just takes a bit of time for the right buyer...I disagree with the 2-3k number..

agree.gif
The car is worth way more than 2 to 3k. The flares and install would be more than that alone. I see people buying rust buckets and then spending thousands of dollars on repair.

Were you going to use a rotary with this or a Subaru?

Also is the car in Atlanta or FL.
13b914
I was leaning towards a ls1. The car is in Florida, near Tyndall Air Force base.
gopack
I sold my project for $10000 NO engine, Tranny, HEs. all it really needed was paint and rubber and carpets. here is a LINK. that was about 6 months ago when I lost my job. I think it is a matter of finding the right guy who's vision was similar to the one you had for your car, and happens to have the urge and the money at that time.

GOOD LUCK
Mikey914
QUOTE(gopack @ May 18 2013, 07:56 AM) *

I sold my project for $10000 NO engine, Tranny, HEs. all it really needed was paint and rubber and carpets. here is a LINK. that was about 6 months ago when I lost my job. I think it is a matter of finding the right guy who's vision was similar to the one you had for your car, and happens to have the urge and the money at that time.

GOOD LUCK

It's worth what your buyer will pay. Sometimes it's $1000, sometimes it's 10k, Figure out how much you will have to throw at the car, and what you think you can get. Honestly, many people have different visions, so the broader the apeal, the more likely the price will be better.

Fix the rust and have it well documented, that adds the most value. Advertise the car at a price you think is a bit high, but not excessive, as the buyer will probably come back with a counter,as it is still a project. You may be able to sell it without putting a bunch of cash into it. The buyer will not care how much you put into it, unless it's for something they want (like rust repair). The more you put in (unless you finish the car), the less likely you are to have it come back, and increase the net after expenses. Not that it can't be done, but back to the right buyer with your vision scenario.

That's my .02
vinniedatorch
QUOTE(13b914 @ May 17 2013, 12:56 PM) *

Thanks for your replies so far. All the rust repair is done and I will get some good pictures of all the typical rust prone areas. I don't want to over price it. I may think about selling the water cooled parts seperately.

I may be interested in the watercooled parts( radiator,shrouds,front bumper,electric water pump,hoses).if you decide to sell please PM w/a description of what you have and what you want for it.thanks
moparrob
The car would be an excellent candidate for a 914-6 GT clone. The steel flares alone are extremely pricey installed.

Sell the water cooled parts and let the next owner fix the front bumper and trunk to meet their needs.

dfelz
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 18 2013, 09:07 PM) *

Sell the water cooled parts and let the next owner fix the front bumper and trunk to meet their needs.

agree.gif Looks like you already have an interested party for all the water cooled parts, sell those separately, and you may open up your market opportunities to others interested in keeping it an air-cooled 914. As some one said earlier, the steel flares alone are worth 3K (1k for the flares, and possibly around $500 per flare for the professionally installed welding.) You have a very clean looking (once painted biggrin.gif ) gem here, so dont undersell yourself, wait for the right buyer (if time allows) and try to get back much of what you put in. Rust-free shells are not all that common and worth a pretty penny in the eyes of many looking to avoid all the hassles of body work and "rusteration."

Good luck with the sale!
13b914
I want to thank everyone very much for weighing in. I'm still trying to get pictures of all the parts that will go with the car so I can put it up for sale with plenty of documentation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.