Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAY OT- Biology Sucks!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72Signal914
Just looked at my grades from last semester (at UF) and well......I failed Biology :finger2: . It sucked throughout the year but I thought I would pull of a C in the end but I guess not. Whatever, you don't have to reply. Just wanted to let you know how smart I was. I needed to know what my grades were before my parents would allow me to get insurance on the 914 so I could drive it again. I might get a warning or get revoked from my 75% tuition scholarship since I dropped below the GPA requirement. Hopefully they'll give me a semester to improve pray.gif

Later All
Part Pricer
You're lucky. He is the deal my son has:

He has to maintain a minimum of a 3.2 GPA to retain his scholarship from the university.

He has to maintain a minimum of a 3.6 GPA to retain his scholarship from me.

Failure is not an option.
72Signal914
It's not like I wanted to fail and all, I just couldn't hack the class and I went through some emotional time then also. That's no excuse, and I did change my major after my mom and I had a talk, I really didn't need the class. Sucks but life goes on, and I've gotta bite the bullet
Brad Roberts
The wife has maintained a 4.0 for the last 3 years... all this from home.

I'm terrible at school.

B
Jeff Krieger
Biology is a woman's science anyway. ph34r.gif
Bleyseng
Brad did you go to the same school I did?
The school of hard knocks...every time you start to get somewhere they knock you down so you are learning a lesson.
Geoff
seanery
I got kicked out of school once for grades.
I continued to live in the fraternity house without telling my folks.
That was a mistake. It didn't cost them money, I paid my own way, but they weren't happy.

I took classes a year or so later and made the "other" dean's list.
Grades depend on dedication, I've seen people dedicated to grades, both young and old, do well.

I, on the other hand, was dedicated to making friends and having life experiences.
I wouldn't trade it for the world, but others have different priorities.
72Signal914
Which frat? My parents don't think its that. I'm living at my frat house next semester (and for the next 3 years) so I can have my own personal time to study. Dorms sucked.
seanery
Delta Chi
Indiana University

I'm really proud...National pulled their charter last year and they were kicked off campus and then they pilfered the house.
Most items were returned but not all.

I think national is waiting til all of the guys from the current era are off campus before they recolonize. I'm hoping that more alumni will get involved to help keep the new guys on track. Most of us weren't involved before and I think that's important.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ May 20 2003, 01:36 PM)

He has to maintain a minimum of a 3.2 GPA to retain his scholarship from the university.

What's your son studying?
mightyohm
3.6 GPA as an undergrad is doable, even in engineering. Just wait until you get to graduate school!

Pretty soon you learn that sometimes grades are pretty arbitrary.
JWest
The first time I went to school I was in the dorms - then in an apartment - no commitments and all the time in the world - lousy grades.

After a number of years hiatus I retuned to a more difficult school, married, kid, working, involved in everything I could be - ended up with a 3.9 GPA. Aerospace Engineering.

I think its all about dedication to getting the job done and done well.
Mockmaw
GPA is highly dependant on what topic is being studied and how 'impacted' (as UCB puts it) the department is on campus. Majors like Business, Molecular + Cellular Biology, Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, etc., which are popular and prestigious, have large classes where grades are done on a strict curve. Many of these departments are designed so that only a small fraction of the students can actually get A's (and for that matter, maintain very high GPA's). The two departments I'm involved in are smaller and considerably more personal: if you show that you're learning material, that you do the research, the work, and the papers, and do well on the tests, you can get an A. For departments like mine, it's possible to have classes where everyone _can_ get an A. For others, it's not the case.
scottb
what part of biology is the problem? i have my masters in anatomy and physiology. but if you need to know anything about plants, can't help you there!

and biology is not a womens science! ugly women though seem to flock to it! barf.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Jeff Krieger @ May 20 2003, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ May 20 2003, 01:36 PM)

What's your son studying?

My son is majoring in Biochemistry.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(James Adams @ May 20 2003, 02:19 PM)
The first time I went to school I was in the dorms - then in an apartment - no commitments and all the time in the world - lousy grades.

After a number of years hiatus I retuned to a more difficult school, married, kid, working, involved in everything I could be - ended up with a 3.9 GPA. Aerospace Engineering.

I think its all about dedication to getting the job done and done well.

How many hours in a day were there available for you to study?
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(scottb @ May 20 2003, 02:27 PM)
what part of biology is the problem? i have my masters in anatomy and physiology. but if you need to know anything about plants, can't help you there!

and biology is not a womens science! ugly women though seem to flock to it! barf.gif

What fraction of your graduating class were women? There are far fewer women in math, physics and engineering courses than men but there are more women than men in medicine (at least in the EU and Quebec).
Britain Smith
All I can say is that I am finally finished with classes. I just graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with my B.S. in chemical engineering (took 4 1/2 years) with a GPA of 3.6 and a M.S. in chemical engineering (took 1 1/2 years) with a GPA of 3.9. Now all I have to do is finish writting my damn thesis so that I can move to California and stuff a type-IV in the back on my 912.

-Britain
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Schmuck69 @ May 20 2003, 03:05 PM)
All I can say is that I am finally finished with classes. I just graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with my B.S. in chemical engineering (took 4 1/2 years) with a GPA of 3.6 and a M.S. in chemical engineering (took 1 1/2 years) with a GPA of 3.9. Now all I have to do is finish writting my damn thesis so that I can move to California and stuff a type-IV in the back on my 912.

-Britain

I hated chemistry. Do you understand (mathematically) Shroedinger's equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle from chemistry I?
Britain Smith
Unfortunately, yes...I understand them enough to solve quantum mechanical problems. Must of my research is in process development for microelectronics, specifically microlithography. That is why I am moving to Cali and working for Intel.

-Britain
Qarl
Hey I graduated in 1993 in the top 10 of my class at Georgia Tech with a degree in Aerospace Engineering, only to graduate in the worst aerospace recession in years. Me and 90,000 unemployed aerospace engineers were looking for the same non-existent jobs.

Yeah, yeah, I know... the Silicon Valley bubble burst several years ago and it's the same deal out in California right now.

So anyways, now I'm part owner of a medical consulting company. Go figure.

Wanna see my $80,000 piece of paper on the wall. I couldn't determine the lift and drag on an airfoil right now if my life depended on it.

Mike, you wanna move into a UF fraternity house so you can get more studying done. Studying what... chicks and beer?

What fraternity?

Regards,
72Signal914
Lambda Chi Alpha. Our house is usually always quiet during the day, and I can always close the door and such. Yeah I know i'm living with about 20 some guys in the house but I do honestly think I can get more accomplished over there. The dorm hall wasn't very quiet at all and my roommate ALWAYS played music. Since, I'll be living in a house I'll feel more at home instead of a little tiny room. I don't have to waste time traveling to the house and back everyday and i'll be more centrally located with my stuff.
Qarl
Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh!
Brad Roberts
That is a bad impression of Beavis+Butthead Karl. You should be ashamed.

B
Brad Roberts
Umm Karl ??

No mention OR link to the 914club from your site ??

What IS up with THAT ??

:finger2:

B
72Signal914
I know I was just on there. finger.gif
72Signal914
you can even use the banner I made for my signature and link it to the forum or webpage
Qarl
Doh! I've been caught.

Problem solved.

Check it out...

www.iepg.com/914
72Signal914
Problem NOT solved. It's not there
Qarl
Check the bottom of the main page.
72Signal914
I did twice, it's not there
72Signal914
NOW its there!!!!! clap56.gif
Qarl
Just waiting for Brad to click the link and then give me the finger...

Hee hee heeeee!
72Signal914
HUGE Boo-Boo. ohmy.gif You have it going to the AA Forum not this one. What are you trying to do here!! That's grounds for being banned biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
My wife just completed her BA in Computer Science. Completed it in less than three years of night school. Two nights a week. (all minor and major classes!) After 20 years of working at the same company she worked her way up as high as she could go. She needed a degree to be considered for a V.P. job. So far lots of empty promises.... Just a matter of time. I suck at school. The only thing I'm really good at is the art of bull shit. No Kidding. 9 grade education, GED lots of big stories along the way. I landed a job that's way out of my reach. confused24.gif Who ever bull shits the best wins!!
mueba.gif bs.gif bs.gif
Jeroen
I hate school!
I'm a pretty good learner, but I just hate school. Always have, always will...
I had a hard time at college. Not because of learning problems, but because I have problems with authority biggrin.gif
Basically I'm an arrogant asshole and will never do what people tell me to.
I was actually kicked out of my first college because of that.
More than one teacher took long sick leaves because of "emotional stress" that I caused biggrin.gif

After college I went to university... for about 6 months
Well, it was really only the first two weeks that I followed every class
After that, I was only there on monday mornings (all the record shops were then closed, so I had no where else to go biggrin.gif)
At the end of my first semester, when I showed up for the exams, people were actually asking who I was biggrin.gif

If I'd have to work for a boss I'd prolly have the same or even worse problems
I don't think I could hold a job for more than half a day biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
(not a good role model, nor do I play one on TV)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.