Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Engine fan shroud modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
After I got my -6 conversion completed last November the guys at German Excellence in Winter Park FL. suggested modifying the shroud so that alternator removal would be easier. They cut the shroud and grafted a few layers of fiberglass on the top half and made a really nice set up for me. Well...this past week the alternator failed...removal went very smooth...no need to detach fuel lines/carbs/manifolds to get the shroud off. Just thought I would share some pics and maybe provide some inspiration to some of you -6 guys! I can tell you the ROI has already been realized...
SLITS
Pretty cool idea.

Guess I could cut another shroud for the cap ... I don't have the au-natural fiberglass set.
moparrob
Cool idea. Would you mind posting a picture from the other side of the engine to see how the wires are routed?

thanks
Mark Henry
This is a cool idea shades.gif

My one shroud is a 69 so no cooler bit, I was going to flog it, but they are a PITA to ship so I might just do this. Getting reddy to paint my engine stuff, so this idea is just in time.
Mark Henry
dp
GeorgeRud
Seems to me that that's how they should have been made all along for the 914-6. Removing the alternator on a 911 is not that big of a project, but this should help a lot on a -6.
rfuerst911sc
The guys at German Excellence ( formerly Zotz ) know their stuff. And they really know 914's. Donnie and the gang are just great people to deal with..........I miss them since I moved.
bcheney
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 18 2013, 03:07 PM) *

Cool idea. Would you mind posting a picture from the other side of the engine to see how the wires are routed?

thanks

I will take a few other shots and post tomorrow.
bcheney
QUOTE(bcheney @ May 18 2013, 10:38 PM) *

thanks

wndsrfr
QUOTE(bcheney @ May 18 2013, 06:38 PM) *

thanks

Hmmmmm...........group buy?
moparrob
Oh, NOW I see how the shroud was modded. Cool idea and it would probably sell to the conversion crowd.

I took a more difficult route and enhanced the access through the firewall.

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
Personally, I don't see removing the alternator with the car and the shroud intact as any big deal. We did a couple over the years at my shop and it just doesn't take all that long. Besides, the alternator failure rate on 911 engines is pretty low.

The Cap'n
bcheney
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 19 2013, 06:21 PM) *

Personally, I don't see removing the alternator with the car and the shroud intact as any big deal. We did a couple over the years at my shop and it just doesn't take all that long. Besides, the alternator failure rate on 911 engines is pretty low.

The Cap'n

Ya I understand your view. I just think that for guys that are not wrenching on cars everyday that this mod makes the work alot easier and less stressful. If you're doing a -6 conversion you spend a lot of time with all kinds of projects to get the job done. This is just another project that can be done. Maybe I should have just bought a New Alternator for my car when I did the conversion. Instead I opted using a local rebuilder that is well respected. Stuff goes wrong even with the best guys sometimes. When you are paying someone to for labor to remove and reinstall all this stuff the costs can add up.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 19 2013, 06:17 PM) *

Oh, NOW I see how the shroud was modded. Cool idea and it would probably sell to the conversion crowd.

I took a more difficult route and enhanced the access through the firewall.

IPB Image

I was also planning to do this just from a timing/fan belt point of view.
I've been told to get an oversize part from a donor car and make it a bolt in mod.
moparrob
Yep, that is exactly what I did...

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.