Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Struts on 1975
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
So I have a stock 1975 1.8 without sway bars. Without taking the strut assembly apart, how can I tell what strut I have? Seems like I would have the stock boge inserts? Thoughts..

Regards,

James
993inNC
What color are the current inserts? Boge is usually green, Koni - red, Bilsein - yellow, Monroe - black, KYB - white......mut - could be anything
Drums66
QUOTE(993inNC @ May 18 2013, 01:26 PM) *

What color are the current inserts? Boge is usually green, Koni - red, Bilsein - yellow, Monroe - black, KYB - white......mut - could be anything

.....Listen, what the man said! poke.gif
bye1.gif
jesiv
I don't know I haven't taken them apar yet. I guess my question is the insert type? Can I get any brand that is for a 1975 914 and they will fit? I was looking to get Koni or bilstien? Am I missing something in that I have to disassemble first be fore ordering???

Regards

James
Eric_Shea
James, inserts will be tough to ID without taking them out of the strut.

If you pull the strut top out of the mount and remove the dust cap you can usually yank them fairly easily. When you take the dust cap off you can tell if they are Bilsteins or - the rest. Bilsteins will have a very thick, fat shaft, almost the same size as the strut tube. The others will have a standard size shaft and you'll have to yank them to really ID them.

* Koni's would be orange "but" there's a Mexico made Boge that's orange too. Read the stampings on the tube.
* Bilsteins would be green or yellow.
* KYB crap is white.
* Boge is black.
Eric_Shea
Can I get any brand that is for a 1975 914 and they will fit? I was looking to get Koni or bilstien? Am I missing something in that I have to disassemble first be fore ordering???

Just order what you want. Should be fine. You'll find out what you had when you replace them. wink.gif
jesiv
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 18 2013, 02:07 PM) *

Can I get any brand that is for a 1975 914 and they will fit? I was looking to get Koni or bilstien? Am I missing something in that I have to disassemble first be fore ordering???

Just order what you want. Should be fine. You'll find out what you had when you replace them. wink.gif

Thanks Eric!! That's what I was looking for. I really don't car what I have only that what I buy fits.

Are Koni adjustables really that much better???

Regards

James
Eric_Shea
No. On a pure quality standpoint, I find Bilsteins to be almost a lifetime shock. I've seen a lot if Konis that need to be repaired. I do like them both about equally but Bilsteins are pretty damn durable. As mentioned in your other thread, Boge/Sachs makes a great insert as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.