Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a special 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnerj
A long time ago my dad had a couple 914s. One of them in particular he spent a lot of money on. Then he had a 944 on order when they were first coming out so he sent one 914 off from Virginia to Arizona for Porsche-Only (Tempe, AZ?) to do a lot of custom work on. The car started out orange and ended red, the bodywork was based off a Chalon slantnose look, he had a bigger engine put in (just a 2.0, couldn't find a 6), and just a ton of other work done on it. All the work cost over $16k back in the '80s. I realize that many don't exactly love the chalon kit, but he assures me that it was the most complete and best looking one out there. And I agree, when a slantnose isn't done right, I can't stand it. But when they are done right and complete, I really like them.

Then the very first time he drove it after all the work, he parked it and came back to see a note on it saying how it was the nicest 914 and if it was for sale. He brought it back to VA but then let his girlfriend take the car to Arizona again who didn't exactly take the best care of it. His brother in AZ got the car back and drove it for a year. Finally, the car was bought by someone (perhaps though eBay) in Texas who works on aircraft interiors (my dad thinks) and was capable of fixing the fiberglass on the car that needed some work.

And that's as far as I'm at right now. So, I am really curious where this car is now and I was hoping that there might be someone who might just be able to give me a lead. He thinks that the car was a 1972, he doesn't have a VIN number for it at this time, but hopefully soon.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully someone will be able to help me out
hot_shoe914
Good luck and welcome.png
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 18 2013, 08:38 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

welcome.png

agree.gif

Pics would certainly help, red shaloms aren't exactly a rare thing.

Having the VIN number would also really help.
idea.gif
turnerj
I definitely want to see some pictures just as bad. I will ask my uncle if he can find any. I will also have to do some digging on the VIN number.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2013, 11:41 PM) *

agree.gif

Pics would certainly help, red shaloms aren't exactly a rare thing.

Having the VIN number would also really help.
idea.gif

Damn autocorrect. Shalom to you to Andy! biggrin.gif

Best of luck on your search.
blitZ
I see a red Chalon in my area occasionally. Have not spoken to the guy yet.
wingnut86
I know of a parked red chalon in South Carolina, but it's a 74 and hasn't been treated too nice. I bought the engine and tranny...
SKL1
It will be a needle in a haystack, but you never know. If the car is still in TX or AZ it may not have rusted away...

My son was looking for a 993 a couple years and tried to find a '95 coupe I had special ordered way back, and stupidly sold in '98. He had hoped to find it and bring it back in the family. He traced it to Switzerland!! Needless to say he found one a little closer, in Arkansas...
ventedrib
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ May 19 2013, 09:19 PM) *

I know of a parked red chalon in South Carolina, but it's a 74 and hasn't been treated too nice. I bought the engine and tranny...

Uncle Si he is my neighbor.
wingnut86
beer.gif

The teen girls around here think Si is way cool.

Considering the rest of the folks they usually emulate & worship, I'll take Si any day of the week biggrin.gif
turnerj
Its about time that I find some pics for you guys, but better late than never. Now maybe its just me, but I kinda like it! And the first picture is of my dad's 951 when he bought it new, which he still has.
JRust
Nice looking Chalon! Good luck in your search
turnerj
Well I looked through the database for every single car that had one of the three orange paint codes. I came up with three chalons, with one of them being parted. Pretty sure that none of those were it though. I guess that I should really do some digging for that VIN number as it would help a lot.
Cairo94507
I would think that with the license plate number the DMV should be able to pull the car history and thus the VIN.
jasons
Years ago, probably as many as 10, I looked at a Chalon for sale in the N. Phoenix/ Paradise Valley area that closely matches the pics. It had the Monza exhaust and I think it had some kind of Enkei basket wheels like yours. I can't remember what the seller wanted (Maybe around $6k). But IIRC he had owned the car for some time and I think he had done a lot of the work. I believe he was selling due to some financial need. This was post dotcom crash economy. It had a 2.0 with dual carbs and it was a nicer than average car. I kind of recall, it had a cracking issue with the front bumper? I also remember seeing it for sale again more recently, maybe the last 3 or so years? Sorry if that was the car, that's all I have on it. Good Luck!

turnerj
QUOTE(jasons @ Dec 9 2013, 06:22 PM) *

Years ago, probably as many as 10, I looked at a Chalon for sale in the N. Phoenix/ Paradise Valley area that closely matches the pics. It had the Monza exhaust and I think it had some kind of Enkei basket wheels like yours. I can't remember what the seller wanted (Maybe around $6k). But IIRC he had owned the car for some time and I think he had done a lot of the work. I believe he was selling due to some financial need. This was post dotcom crash economy. It had a 2.0 with dual carbs and it was a nicer than average car. I kind of recall, it had a cracking issue with the front bumper? I also remember seeing it for sale again more recently, maybe the last 3 or so years? Sorry if that was the car, that's all I have on it. Good Luck!

Wow, just about everything that you said matches very closely! It was probably right around 10 years ago that he sold it, it would have been sold at his brother's house in Tempe, AZ, he did own it for a while before he sold it, he was the one who payed for the work, and you are exactly right about some of the fiberglass cracking!

Now not to get my hopes too high, Porsche-Only was located right in Phoenix, and they were doing a lot of chalons, so it is possible that you saw another, but I don't know.

Thank you very much for posting!
SirAndy
Found what is left of an Ad from Nov. 2011 on The Samba. Same wheels ...

Click to view attachment

Here is the sellers profile (vdubzack):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.p...ile&u=64424

Try to get in touch with him, who knows, maybe it's the car you're looking for ...
smile.gif
turnerj
Thanks for the lead! The only difference that I can see with the one in the picture is that it has chrome door handles versus the powder coated ones on my dad's. I don't know how well powder coating holds up and I maybe heard that sometimes 914 handles were known to break? So therefore they could have been replaced.

I'll try to get in contact with the guy though.

Thanks!
jasons
QUOTE(turnerj @ Dec 9 2013, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Dec 9 2013, 06:22 PM) *

Wow, just about everything that you said matches very closely! It was probably right around 10 years ago that he sold it, it would have been sold at his brother's house in Tempe, AZ, he did own it for a while before he sold it, he was the one who payed for the work, and you are exactly right about some of the fiberglass cracking!

Now not to get my hopes too high, Porsche-Only was located right in Phoenix, and they were doing a lot of chalons, so it is possible that you saw another, but I don't know.

Thank you very much for posting!

My guess, it's probably coincidental. I know, I met him near Paradise Valley mall and I think he lived in that area. It's basically the area I live in now. Tempe is kind of far, 15+ miles, from that location. It looked just like yours though. One other thing, I think the wheels were a Chevy bolt pattern.
Seabird
Don't lose hope! When you least expect it she'll turn up.

A few years ago I went looking for my parents old boat, kind of always had my eye out for it actually. After a while I found a decent hull and started restoring it. Just before I finished I ended up finding the original boat on Craigslist. I spotted a small little tell in one of the pictures in the ad that she had once been an inboard but had been converted to an outboard. I called the owner and asked what the FL numbers were, like a tag for a boat but they stay with the boat for its life. Sure enough it was my dad's boat and she was about 2hrs away. Went down to the Keys and bought it. My parents where ecstatic to get their honeymoon boat back.

Turns out the previous owner had brought it up to Hollywood to a mechanic that is literally three blocks from our business two years before for motor work. She had been parked under our noses for a couple of weeks and we did not even know it.

Keep the Faith!
carr914
This one is FS in Sarasota, FL - Same Wheels

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/4235216827.html

Click to view attachment
Mark Dreyer
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 10 2013, 04:03 AM) *

This is the car I just posted about in my new member introduction. This seller traded it to my recently deceased friend for a boat. I am now considering buying it from the estate. Do you know how much he was asking for the car? The link to the Craig's list ad doesn't work.
Shindog1961
Try checking the VIN number area, under the 914info. With the year and the color code it's a longshot, but it's a possibility.
carr914
QUOTE(Mark Dreyer @ Feb 23 2014, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 10 2013, 04:03 AM) *

This is the car I just posted about in my new member introduction. This seller traded it to my recently deceased friend for a boat. I am now considering buying it from the estate. Do you know how much he was asking for the car? The link to the Craig's list ad doesn't work.

It was listed at either $12,000 or $14,000
r_towle
TC, I though you have touched, owned or swapped for every southeast 914 that is still alive????
Mr.242
Contact California DMV with that old license plate number on a filled out Public Disclosure Request form asking for the VIN of that license (note the year of registration on the request).

CA DMV Request info

Once you have VIN, you will do much better tracking the car down. Right now you don't even have the glass slipper.

It's where I'd start...
turnerj
10 years later I found it and bought it!

Click to view attachment

...maybe

Probably not, but repainted from orange to red also! 1.7L though. Bought this one last week from Long Beach and I since moved to Phoenix as well where it will now be fixed up.

Would anybody here like to buy a 1-owner creampuff original paint Ravenna Green 914 2.0 to help me fund this Chalon build? I am in the green 914 deep, maybe I'll need Bring-a-Trailer to help me get top dollar?

Looking forward to reading up on this forum looking for the best bang for buck upgrades and whatever I can simplify.
Literati914
QUOTE(turnerj @ Jun 27 2023, 10:14 PM) *

...maybe

Probably not, but repainted from orange to red also! 1.7L though.

Your Dad’s car had a Monza style muffler… are you sure they were made for 2.0L engines? I was thinking it was only the 1.7/1.8 … idea.gif

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(turnerj @ Jun 27 2023, 11:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

...maybe

Probably not, but repainted from orange to red also! 1.7L though. Bought this one last week from Long Beach and I since moved to Phoenix as well where it will now be fixed up.

Would anybody here like to buy a 1-owner creampuff original paint Ravenna Green 914 2.0 to help me fund this Chalon build? I am in the green 914 deep, maybe I'll need Bring-a-Trailer to help me get top dollar?

Looking forward to reading up on this forum looking for the best bang for buck upgrades and whatever I can simplify.

wow blast from the past post!! cool to update it about your purchase, is it the same car? or just similar?

jim_hoyland
Great story smile.gif
BillJ
Would be interested in hearing about the ravenna car. Already sent pm.
930cabman
QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 19 2013, 08:35 PM) *

It will be a needle in a haystack, but you never know. If the car is still in TX or AZ it may not have rusted away...

My son was looking for a 993 a couple years and tried to find a '95 coupe I had special ordered way back, and stupidly sold in '98. He had hoped to find it and bring it back in the family. He traced it to Switzerland!! Needless to say he found one a little closer, in Arkansas...

Great story, drive her in good health
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.