Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand brake cable installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I will be installing the handbrake cables. Wich end Do I install first? The caliper or the handle?

H
Thanks peeps.
03blueboo
QUOTE(914itis @ May 19 2013, 01:03 AM) *

I will be installing the handbrake cables. Wich end Do I install first? The caliper or the handle?

H
Thanks peeps.

Hi,

I don't really have an answer for this, but I thought that I would jump into the conversation because I have a hand brake question. I just picked up a 1974 1.8 and the hand brake doesn't work. It gets tight when you pull the handle (it moves about 3 inches) but it wont stay engaged, and I'm not sure if it is engaging the brake for that matter. Any ideas?

Thanks

Nate
walterolin
Hello 03BlueBoo,

I'm sitting at my desk here on Regency Road just off Southland Drive.

Sounds like the ratchet inside the brake handle is broken. There are at least two handles, the early one (mine) is a two piece, my ratchet was broken and I had to do some welding. The later one is a one piece.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/701-10.php

You can see if it is engaging by trying to stop the car by pulling up on the handle.
Retread

Do the inside stuff first
Spoke
QUOTE(Retread @ Jul 9 2013, 03:51 PM) *

Do the inside stuff first

agree.gif

Getting the ends of the cables into the 1-to-2 connector inside is the hardest part. Get that done, connect the lever, then connect to the calipers. At this point you may need to adjust the tension through the adjuster bolts where the cables enter the firewall.
03blueboo
QUOTE(walterolin @ Jul 9 2013, 03:49 PM) *

Hello 03BlueBoo,

I'm sitting at my desk here on Regency Road just off Southland Drive.

Sounds like the ratchet inside the brake handle is broken. There are at least two handles, the early one (mine) is a two piece, my ratchet was broken and I had to do some welding. The later one is a one piece.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/701-10.php

You can see if it is engaging by trying to stop the car by pulling up on the handle.

Thanks, I'll try that. autoatlanta has been getting a lot of my business this week. Any idea if there are any 914 meets coming up? I'd like to get to know any others in the area.
Van914
5-6 of us 914 nuts in Cincinnati

03blueboo
QUOTE(Van914 @ Jul 9 2013, 04:17 PM) *

5-6 of us 914 nuts in Cincinnati

Do you get together often? What I'm about to type just sounds goofy (since I'm not talking about 50's muscle cars) but are there Porsche cruises or anything like that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.