Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been offered /6 Stainless exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Unfortunately I don't have a pic, they don't look like a true header, 3 into 1, very short run (primary) to the big tube (secondary), small box but not as small as the Patrick unit. Heavy flanges but the pipe sticks out pass the flange and would need to be trimmed. Primarys I'd say are 1-5/8", they were over 1-1/2" ID.
They do "look" pro built, good welds.

I was told they were Patrick but they are not these:
IPB Image

They are not H&S
IPB Image

Please, post pic's of other after market stainless units, then the question is what are they worth and do they provide much heat?

Thanks
scotty b
Billy Boat ?

scotty b
nevermind, looks like the ones Patrick sells
SLITS
I have a set of Billy Boat and will look at them to see if they are the same today.

Original cost .... $2200

Small cans for heat but I've never mounted them so I can't tell you how they work.

One of these days I will fit them to the car but not until the stock HEs are worn rusted out.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 19 2013, 11:17 AM) *

nevermind, looks like the ones Patrick sells

Yeh, I say those are the same one Patrick sells. Pactrick has been reselling a lot as of late.

I'm trying to find a pic, but I don't see anything like it. Maybe they are one off by someone good with a TIG welder.
I'll try to get the guy to send me a pic.
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
Those are the Billy Boat ones. From what I've been told, they don't fit all that well and provide little heat when they do fit. The envelopes are too small to heat the air sufficiently, but might work if you just need a bit of heat/defrosting.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 19 2013, 01:53 PM) *

IPB Image
beerchug.gif

Yep, I think these are them.

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 19 2013, 03:22 PM) *

Those are the Billy Boat ones. From what I've been told, they don't fit all that well and provide little heat when they do fit. The envelopes are too small to heat the air sufficiently, but might work if you just need a bit of heat/defrosting.

Are these the ones you are commenting on George?
Not fitting well and not much heat isn't good.

Just spent the day reworking total fucking POS OBX headers (for a /4), at that rate I may as well build my own.
Jon H.
Is it these ones from Mike?
914-6 headers
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jon H. @ May 19 2013, 03:41 PM) *

Is it these ones from Mike?
914-6 headers

Yep...damn there's a pic

I have MSDS headers so I don't really need them.
Jon H.
I saw them on Friday, they sure are nice, the welds are amazing!
rfuerst911sc
Why would anyone associate B&B with quality welds confused24.gif Or any quality for that matter. blink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 19 2013, 04:09 PM) *

Why would anyone associate B&B with quality welds confused24.gif Or any quality for that matter. blink.gif

Tell us more, if they are crap or if Billyboat has a bad rep I'd like to know.
Is B&B and Billyboat the same thing?

They are big pipes, but I still don't consider then a "header" or tuned exhaust which with the state of tune of my engine is a concern.

I know Mike, if anyone wants these I think I can get them shipped from inside the US.
rfuerst911sc
Yes Billy Boat and B&B are the same. Internet lore say's many issues with cracked welds and cracked cases on their mufflers. Hope that's not the case with the heat exchangers.
Dave_Darling
I know two people who, between them, have tried three sets of B&B stainless 914-6 exchangers. None of them fit. After a whole lot of work, one set more or less fit, but even then the angle of the muffler was visibly wrong.

I wouldn't bother with them, myself.

--DD
carr914
I had a Set of Billy Boats & fit was not a problems. A fix for the (lack of ) Heat was to have a Heater Fan for both Sides
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 19 2013, 06:12 PM) *

I know two people who, between them, have tried three sets of B&B stainless 914-6 exchangers. None of them fit. After a whole lot of work, one set more or less fit, but even then the angle of the muffler was visibly wrong.

I wouldn't bother with them, myself.

--DD

Man....has none of these guys heard of a jig before.... confused24.gif

I knew something was up when I saw the pipe sticking past the flange. I was asking myself how did they jig that?
SLITS
Mine are Billy Boat (B&B).
IronHillRestorations
I've sold several sets of B&B, and unless someone absolutely didn't want anything else or made a deal you couldn't pass up, I'd avoid them. 3 of the last 4 sets I got had fit problems, and yes they'll take another swing at them, if you want to pay the shipping.

The thing I'd want to see on the ones in the pic from post #6 (the ones with the larger heat collectors) to see if there are welds inside the collector, which is a major death trap. Porsche learned (the hard way) back in the 60's that you can't put welds in the heat collector or use mild steel for the exhaust tubing. Sooner or later it will kill you.
Larry.Hubby
Those heat exchangers are from a company that used to be in the Phoenix area, GHL Exhaust. Not sure if they're still there or moved to somewhere else. Their website now says that they make systems only for Chevrolet, Mazda, and VW, so I assume they've dropped the 914/6 parts. The main problem with them was that they aren't equal length like all the other headers/heat exchangers I've ever seen. The construction quality was very good, but you can tell from the photo that they do have welds inside the heater shrouding. Also, they lacked access tubes to let you get to the exhaust flange nuts without hassle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.