Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
My engine has been done for more than a year now.

Now the car is done.

I do not want to crack the tranny but I know it has some seals. I made a list from AA and PP and then went to the patient to find them. Bell housing area was not too tough to get too. then I moved to speedo drive. I believe I have stripped the sleeve. I got the angle drive off, but the nut did not move smoothly, and the threads in the sleeve do look galled. WHAT HAVE I DONE? This sleeve does not seem to want to come out. I have removed the bolt on the side. Does the tail of the tranny have to come off?

Am I going to play hell in getting a new threaded sleeve?

Thanks,

Clark
malcolm2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 19 2013, 02:05 PM) *

I believe I have stripped the sleeve. I got the angle drive off, but the nut did not move smoothly, and the threads in the sleeve do look galled. WHAT HAVE I DONE?

NO Speedometer or transmission experts logged in tonight? Well maybe a picture will help.

This is what I am talking about...Click to view attachment

dangrouche
take that bolt off; yes it does come out. no you did not ruin it; someone has one for sale.
malcolm2
QUOTE(dangrouche @ May 19 2013, 08:02 PM) *

take that bolt off; yes it does come out. no you did not ruin it; someone has one for sale.

I had the bolt off after this picture. I was hoping that the sleeve would fall out, but nada. I did not want to grab it with pliers and pull, but is that next?

PP and AA have different exploded view drawings of this part. One has a sell on the bottom and one has a seal on top. Model year differences? Will I get a leak here without the seal, or with an old one?
malcolm2
icon_bump.gif

Anyone with a suggestion on pulling the speedo sleeve?

Or am I wasting my time looking for a seal here?
pcar916
Once the retaining bolt has been removed it will come out with a little help from some Channellocks or the equivalent. It's just stuck a bit. There is an o-ring on that barrel that likely has a little varnish or grime on it.

Cushion the jaws (I like rubber strips) so they don't mar the aluminum and twist until it's free, then pull it out as you twist back and forth.

If you want to have some more insurance that it won't leak there a machinist will carve another groove into the barrel below the retaining hole for a second 0-ring against leakage. That part of the barrel is a "floater". It isn't held in place by the retaining bolt. The tapered bolt just locates in a hole in the barrel.

Good luck.

Oh, yeah... you can buy an entire gasket set for the 901/914 transaxle and just use what you need.
Cap'n Krusty
MC Mark sells the drive housings with the second grooves already cut and the special o-ring included in the deal.

The Cap'n
McMark
Sometimes they're stubborn. Channel-locks are the way to go usually. Or reinstall the angle drive and use it as a handle to pull on. I've never run into a set of threads that were unusable.

If there's oil in the trans, it will all pour out when you remove this.

More pics here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.