Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn! Car Crapped Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
Car has been running fine. Yesterday, as I slowed to make a left turn, engine just quit. Pushed it into a parking lot. Thinking maybe it flooded somehow, I let it sit for 3o minutes. Came back and it started. Made it down the road 5 minutes and all appeared fine. Then, slowing to make a left, it again just quit. Coasted into a parking lot. Waited 30 minutes. Nothing. Cranks and cranks. Put some ether in it, still nothing. I am beginning to think no spark. Mechanic I know said that sometimes ignition quits when it gets hot. He was only two miles down the road so I towed it there and left it. Anyone have this experience? Do those Permatune boxes fail in heat like that?
JawjaPorsche
Without being there, it might be your fuel pump. What year is your 914? I had same problems until I moved my fuel pump. Original design had fuel pump too close to the exhaust.
jfort
I can hear the fuel pump working and there was no pop even with ether. It is a '70 six.
jtf914
What ignition system? My MSD died on me once just like someone turned off the key. Do you still run points?

Full tank of gas...?
stugray
I have had similar symptoms when my condenser popped off of the distributor. It was bouncing around on top of the engine making intermittent connection with ground, so it ran some of the time. Every turn, the engine would sputter & die as the capcaitor rolled around.

Stu
Rand
What's the spark status in failure mode? Easy to check by pulling a spark plug wire, plugging in a new plug, grounding it to case, and watching the spark while somebody cranks (or better yet you use your nice troubleshooting tool... the remote start connection/button)

So if you don't have a nice bright blue spark, something is wrong.

In my case, it was a bad connection at the braided strap in the distributor which grounds the plates.

Hopefully something as simple for you. There are some quick troubleshooting steps, so let's narrow this down........
Rand
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ May 20 2013, 09:16 AM) *

Full tank of gas...?

laugh.gif I would hope for more troubleshooting skills than that. slap.gif
jfort
fresh gas in the tank. running points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.