Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAS Autox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Had a great time down at the Marina running the American Autocross Series (AAS). Fast course and a perfect (sun burn) day at the Marina.

I didn't take any video as I wanted to concentrate on just properly driving.

Always fun when all the national champs (various classes) show up. It'll be interesting to see where us 914 guys ended up, but I think we might have improved our overall finishing a bit. We'll see. Although on a fast course, like the one yesterday, it is impossible to catch that SCCA national XP champ in his 400 RWHP Mazda. He ended up with fastest time of day and was at least 3 seconds or more ahead.

My new steering, with the wheel closer to me, works great, except I managed to hit my right elbow (still hurts) on the sharp part of the Kirkey seat. Not sure what to do now, other than go back to the same sized wheel without any dish. confused24.gif

ww914
QUOTE(Randal @ May 20 2013, 08:22 AM) *

Had a great time down at the Marina running the American Autocross Series (AAS). Fast course and a perfect (sun burn) day at the Marina.

Always fun when all the national champs (various classes) show up. It'll be interesting to see where us 914 guys ended up, but I think we might have improved our overall finishing a bit. We'll see. Although on a fast course, like the one yesterday, it is impossible to catch that SCCA national XP champ in his 400 RWHP Mazda. He ended up with fastest time of day and was at least 3 seconds or more ahead.

My new steering, with the wheel closer to me, works great, except I managed to hit my right elbow (still hurts) on the sharp part of the Kirkey seat. Not sure what to do now, other than go back to the same sized wheel without any dish. confused24.gif

Sounds like you had a good time. Are you coming down for the LPR AX on the 26th?
Borderline
It was a beautiful day at Marina!!! Just a minor point...... the blue/white Maxda RX3 that was so fast yesterday is not the present XP national champion. The XP national champion was driving a Corvette yesterday. Too bad you hit that cone on your fast run Randal. smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Borderline @ May 20 2013, 02:58 PM) *

It was a beautiful day at Marina!!! Just a minor point...... the blue/white Maxda RX3 that was so fast yesterday is not the present XP national champion. The XP national champion was driving a Corvette yesterday. Too bad you hit that cone on your fast run Randal. smile.gif

After you told me that my old wheel was 315mm I realized going to the 350mm was too much. It was just clumsy to get the wheel turned, which kind of negated the steering quickner, if you know what I mean. Both the size of the wheel and the position (almost 2" closer) ended up being an issue.

Anyway the old 320mm is back on, ready for Cascade Lakes.

The new 350mm will be on sale on classified shortly. It's a beautiful Momo wheel, just to big for my race car.

When do the results usually come out on American Autox series?
Randal
QUOTE(ww914 @ May 20 2013, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 20 2013, 08:22 AM) *

Sounds like you had a good time. Are you coming down for the LPR AX on the 26th?

I might pop down to see everyone run, but saving my tires for Cascade Lakes Hill Climb with is the 8th of June.

Randal

The results are up for AAS: http://www.americanauto-x.com/results/pdf/...2013Round04.pdf

The new steering wheel was closer than comfortable and difficult to man handle and my times reflected it. So now I'm going back to the old one and rethinking adding a new power steering rack. I think the Mazda electric one is supposed to work good. Anyone out there ever try installing one in a 914?
koozy
Randal, if you do come down to LPR on Sunday, bring your helmet and take a spin in the pumpkin.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ May 24 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Randal, if you do come down to LPR on Sunday, bring your helmet and take a spin in the pumpkin.

For sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.