Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 1976 914 2.0 - Black
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
TC Johnson
Greetings!

My wife and I are downsizing and moving near our son and his family, so my '76 must go.

Black with tan interior, console, dealer air (not tested), 5 Mahle wheels, near new Goodyear Eagles, big front rollbar and factory rear bar, bilsteins, stainless brake lines, Bursch exhaust, Weltmeister short shift kit, Momo Monte Carlo wheel, Denon audio with a 50 watt amp.

I am the fourth owner since it was purchased new at Carrousel in MN, but it lived in CA and AZ for most of its life until I discovered it back again in MN. It came with me when I was transferred out east, and we have enjoyed using it to cruise through NJ and Eastern PA. It currently shows about 87k on the clock.

I replaced the fuel lines (thanks racer Chris) and have that job done. Prior to beginning this task, it ran well and is in good shape as a driver. It can use paint to really look great.

Please see the last post for updated pictures, and now that things are all together, asking $7650.

PM me to set up your inspection. The car is located in the Lehigh Valley, in eastern PA.
billh1963
Lots of pictures will help you sell.....
TC Johnson
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this is the only one I had ready. If no one is interested while the fuel lines are in process, I will add a bunch when the price goes up.

Thanks!

TC

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 20 2013, 12:01 PM) *

Lots of pictures will help you sell.....

billh1963
QUOTE(TC Johnson @ May 20 2013, 08:11 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this is the only one I had ready. If no one is interested while the fuel lines are in process, I will add a bunch when the price goes up.

Thanks!

TC

'76 is the last year with under 5K built. Also, if the original color was black then that is a rare color. Rust is the biggest issue with 914. If the car is super clean and solid then you may very well have a lot of people interested. At this point it's "pig in a poke"
TC Johnson
Yes, it is in the original color. Also, a few years back imchappy helped with the chain of ownership on the car, and some things he did on the car.

With the limited use it has had in my ownership, and minor upgrades added, it should prove to be a good car for someone. One of the other things recently done was a rebuilt MPS from bleyseng. I have the original one that could serve as a spare.

Thanks

TC
billh1963
QUOTE(TC Johnson @ May 21 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Yes, it is in the original color. Also, a few years back imchappy helped with the chain of ownership on the car, and some things he did on the car.

With the limited use it has had in my ownership, and minor upgrades added, it should prove to be a good car for someone. One of the other things recently done was a rebuilt MPS from bleyseng. I have the original one that could serve as a spare.

Thanks

TC

Sounds nice. Post some pictures....there are lots of people looking for solid 914's these days!
Spoke
QUOTE(TC Johnson @ May 20 2013, 02:37 PM) *

The car is located in the Lehigh Valley, in eastern PA.

Where is the car located? I live in Orefield.

I can do a PPI if anyone needs some eyes on the car.
TC Johnson
Spoke,

I am located south of Easton off 611, just a bit north of Riegelsville. Let me know if anyone is interested in having you check it out. Just PM me and I can give you further location details.

Thanks

TC

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 21 2013, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(TC Johnson @ May 20 2013, 02:37 PM) *

The car is located in the Lehigh Valley, in eastern PA.

Where is the car located? I live in Orefield.

I can do a PPI if anyone needs some eyes on the car.

patrick3000
Looks like a nice car, do you have more pictures? If so please post?

Thanks
iamchappy
Yep this was the car my brother bought new after he sold me his 73.
Beautiful car not typical Mn, never driven in Winter or i should say ever at all, always a garage queen, mint like new car was sold to my good friend Mike with 28,000 miles on it, he moved to California, it was then sold to another friend of mine to give to his daughter who was going to school in Arizona, I installed the A/C in the car for him. Then on to TC.
The only thing i am aware of with this car was a minor front fender dent that happened when Mike owned it. I would love to buy it if i had the room.
xperu
QUOTE(TC Johnson @ May 20 2013, 01:37 PM) *

Greetings!

My wife and I are downsizing and moving near our son and his family, so my '76 must go.

Black with tan interior, console, dealer air (not tested), 5 Mahle wheels, near new Goodyear Eagles, big front rollbar and factory rear bar, bilsteins, stainless brake lines, Bursch exhaust, Weltmeister short shift kit, Momo Monte Carlo wheel, Denon audio with a 50 watt amp.

I am the fourth owner since it was purchased new at Carrousel in MN, but it lived in CA and AZ for most of its life until I discovered it back again in MN. It came with me when I was transferred out east, and we have enjoyed using it to cruise through NJ and Eastern PA. It currently shows about 87k on the clock.

I am in the midst of replacing the fuel lines (thanks racer Chris) and have much of that job done. Prior to beginning this task, it ran well and is in good shape as a driver. It can use paint to really look great.
The posting is going up now to give folks a chance to save a buck or two. Once I finish buttoning things up, the listing will be revised at a "complete and running" price. If you are willing to take over the completion of the fuel line job, you will have a pretty nice car to either enjoy, or dive into for a full restore.

Shall we start at $6750, as is?

PM me to set up your inspection. The car is located in the Lehigh Valley, in eastern PA.

TC I sent you a PM last night. Mike
TC Johnson
Greetings again, teeners!

I am taking a big chance and posting a bunch of pics of the car in process. I buttoned up the tank lines and all today, and will be reassembling the interior tomorrow evening, with the FI lines going in later in the week. After that, it will be ready to run and the price goes up!

Please show some mercy, as the car is not cleaned up for presentation, and as I said, would definitely benefit from a paint job. The trunks are clean, and as you will see, I have the original jack, and the big pouch from new.

I included pics of the battery tray area and the hell hole, which shows some rust, but after poking around down there, does not seem to have any critical issues. Come and see the car, and you can be the judge.

Thanks to all for your interest, and let me know when those who are close by want to see the car.

Tom
TC Johnson
More Pictures.
TC Johnson
Bump with updated pictures.

As I mentioned in my original ad, once the car is fully together and ready to go, the asking price would go up. The car is running beautifully, with a steady idle at about 900, and pulls strongly in all gears. Starts on the first crank.

There have been some inquiries, and one visitor looking to test drive now that it is together.

Although this is not a perfect car, it has great potential for a fun driver that can provide the next owner with great enjoyment for a long time to come. Those concerned about the images of the hell hole and battery tray need to actually see this is mostly cosmetic, with all the right areas still solid or fixable.

With the car ready to be driven home by its next owner, I am asking $7650 for the car. No need to bring a trailer for this one!

Thanks!

Tom
Spoke
I had a chance to check out the car this weekend and drive it. With TC's approval, I will give my opinion of the car along with pics that I took.

I'll try to compartmentalize my impression of the car by discussing the body panels, trunks, any rust areas, engine, shifting, and general drive experience.

First the outside body. The paint is mostly original black. The driver side fender has been replaced (I think) and repainted. The driver door has been repainted.

There appears to be a bit of primer showing through on the top of the passenger door. Not bad though for 40 year old single stage paint. I think the paint would really pop with a good buffing, glaze, and wax.

All the body panels including trunk lids seem to be in very good condition and straight. No major dents or deformities. Just a few dings here and there. In general for a 914, it is in excellent condition.

All the door gaps are perfect.

The rear trunk has no rust through and just a tiny bit of surface rust where wires have rubbed through the paint.
Click to view attachment

Just a tiny little rust spot on the bottom of the door.
Click to view attachment

The sail panels look to be in very good condition with no bubbles under the vinyl. There are 2 little dents on the top of the fender next to the passenger sail panel.
Click to view attachment

The paint in the door jambs is near perfect. No rust in the jambs. With the doors open and the rear latches on the targa top unlatched, I jumped on the door jambs to check for movement of the roll hoop to the back of the targa top. There was no movement. This car is solid.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Spoke
Here is the only significant rust on the body panels. The edge of the front fender and the top near the windshield has some bubbles. Doesn't look that serious and is not structural. The inner panels inside the fender look perfect. Not sure why there's bubbles on this fender.

Click to view attachment

Tried to get a pic of the bottom of the passenger door. A little surface rust but basically solid.
Click to view attachment

This pic shows the condition of the paint. Lots of minute scratches that should buff out and disappear with a good glaze/wax treatment. Some dark spots look to be touch-ups.

To me, this paint is in good shape and the body is in excellent shape. A full respray and this car would be spectacular.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Jacked the car up on 2 wheels on both sides using the jack hole. There was no deflection of the jack holes when jacked up.

The door gaps on both sides did not change when the car was fully jacked up. Both doors open and close with no difficulty when jacked up.

Spoke
The cabin underneath shows no signs of rust. We didn't remove the rocker panels but the part of the longitudinal visible around the panels looks to be rust free.

The rocker panels show a little bit of surface rust around some edges but look to be in good shape.
Spoke
The tires and wheels are in excellent shape. The tires are Goodyear Eagle HPs and appear to have full tread. The spare is also a Mahle wheel like the rest.
Spoke
The front trunk is rust free and paint looks in good shape. The air hoses for ventilation look newer and in good shape.

The windshield washer bottle is included but not installed.

The bottom of the trunk has been modified for AC. The spare tire seems to fit well with the AC unit.

The front trunk springs seem a little tired (lid doesn't stay fully open) and could be moved to the furthest position for better opening.
Spoke
The engine looks and runs well. The top of the engine is very clean and all fuel hoses have been changed including steel lines through the cabin.

The bottom of the engine looks normal with some oil residue. Nothing to be concerned about.

The heating system is not complete. The booster fan is missing the tubes and one flapper valve is missing. To me these are minor items that can be purchased at minimal cost. The heat exchangers look to be in very good condition.

The bursch muffler gives the engine a real nice throaty sound.
Spoke
The engine ran great. We started it twice, separated by about 1/2 hour. Tom started the car at first.

The engine starts up quickly. It took about 1/2 revolution on the crank before the engine fired up and ran steady at 1000 RPM. Very nice sound.

We fired it up later for a test ride, again, it started up quickly and ran well.

The engine ran great and revved up to 5k with no issues. The 2L pulled hard as 2L's do. What a difference between the 1.7L and the 2L. I really miss driving the 2L.

Engine revvs good, no backfires when slowing down.

The handling of the car was good too. You can feel how solid the car is when driving it. No rattles or shaking. The drive was taken with the top off of course.

This car is a lot of fun to drive.
Spoke
The interior is in very good condition. There are no cracks on the dash and no rips on the seats.

The AC unit does function. It didn't blow cold but did blow luke cool. But everything worked electrically. You can hear the compressor kick on and the air blows pretty good on the unit in the interior. Might just need recharged.

The seal around the windshield is ok, not in great shape. It doesn't need replaced but could be for that perfect look.
Spoke
My overall impression of the car is very good. This is a solid, nearly rust-free car. The battery tray looks to be the only rust needing attention. I would say this is as close to a "turn-key" (you know, turn the key and drive driving.gif ) 914 as I have seen.

I forgot to mention about the test drive. The short shift kit is amazing. Going from the vague shift pattern of the stock shifter, this one was quite precise.

The transmission shifted in/out of all gears well. I shifted into first while moving and stationary with no grinding. Shifting is very good.
etars
Sent you a email and a pm
mrholland2
Just for learnin' sake, what kind of short shift kit is it??

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 18 2013, 08:35 PM) *

My overall impression of the car is very good. This is a solid, nearly rust-free car. The battery tray looks to be the only rust needing attention. I would say this is as close to a "turn-key" (you know, turn the key and drive driving.gif ) 914 as I have seen.

I forgot to mention about the test drive. The short shift kit is amazing. Going from the vague shift pattern of the stock shifter, this one was quite precise.

The transmission shifted in/out of all gears well. I shifted into first while moving and stationary with no grinding. Shifting is very good.

sean_v8_914
i like the 75 - 76 bumpers on a black car
nice detailed ad
TC Johnson
The short shift kit is from Weltmeister, with the plate that raises the fulcrum joint and has a different shift lever to take advantage of it. Works nicely if everything else is tight, like the cone screws, firewall bushing, and the shifter cup. Mine could use the cup replaced eventually, but everything else was tight.

Looking forward to seeing this go to a new happy home.

Thanks

Tom
TC Johnson
Sale pending.

Thanks for all the interest.

Tom
TC Johnson
Greetings!

The '76 is back on the market. Buyer ran into some financial issues and backed out.

Let's try again! piratenanner.gif

Thanks

Tom
TC Johnson
SOLD! piratenanner.gif

The car is now safely in the hands of its new owner. Thanks, Paul!

Also, thanks to Spoke for his help, and to the other forumites who provided suggestions and encouragement through the process.

914 World rocks! I will still visit to see what is going on with projects, and of course, play in the Sandbox occasionally.

Thanks!

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.