Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great to Have Just in Case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I have a 1975 with an engine that has been through at least a couple of rebuilds and numerous repairs. As I have been working on things it always seemed that I came across a engine tin bolt or heat exchange bolt that was not original and sometimes not even metric. So I have struggled to find the right ones to replace the odd balls I found. Now some may have an extensive selection of reserve bolts that I don't happen to have.

But I was talking with Carrie of 914Central and she worked up a little package of various length bolts that were appropriate for my engine.

Click to view attachment

Now I am sure that this was not a high profit transaction for 914Central but it certainly met a need that I had and it kept me from having to buy a large number of bolts that I would likely never need. If you have a similar need it is worth it to ask 914Central if they can meet your needs. May be a little thing but I know I hate needing one bolt to finish a repair right. Having this assortment on hand will make things much easier.
Dave_Darling
I hate those slot-head engine tin screws... I replaced mine with Allen-head bolts.

--DD
tomeric914
In my opinion, these are better and have the washers captive to the screw. They also look like the factory screws.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...cfm?ID=N1007101

IPB Image

Like Dave, I've replaced the majority of my screws with stainless hex bolts.
ThePaintedMan
Edit: There's already a flame war in the making on another thread. I'm staying the hell out! biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
99% of everything she sells is available at www.mcmaster.com for pennies on the dollar.

You are wasting your money buying "kits"... sad.gif
McMark
Like tomeric914, I prefer the screws with captive washers, which also offer mild thread cleaning. Plus they're $15 shipped for a pack of 100.
Mblizzard
No chance of a flame. Just different approaches to a problem. No one is wrong. Each individual has different needs. I had limited time, wanted to stay orginal, and only needed a few. All that I see is a number of possible solutions to a problem. The readers pick out the information that best suites them. Someone that reads this may have never thought of using allen heads or may need 100. Now that information is out there. That is what makes this place great. This solution was good for me and it may meet the needs of others.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 21 2013, 02:30 AM) *

No chance of a flame. Just different approaches to a problem. No one is wrong. Each individual has different needs. I had limited time, wanted to stay orginal, and only needed a few. All that I see is a number of possible solutions to a problem. The readers pick out the information that best suites them. Someone that reads this may have never thought of using allen heads or may need 100. Now that information is out there. That is what makes this place great. This solution was good for me and it may meet the needs of others.

Those are the wrong type of screw.

You would really want cheese head screws.

Many vendors sell the correct screws in both chrome and zinc plated.
Wolfsburg west is the type of screw you should use if you are trying to maintain originality.

RIch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.