Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealing washer for the speedo drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I see on the drawings that there is a $10 washer that I believe fits between the "bush guide" and the angle drive. At least that is my assumption. As I took mine apart, I had no washer. Why does it cost $10? Looks alot like an oil plug washer in my wifes Honda Van. I think they are Aluminum. $10 for a washer, wow?

Number 62 below. Porsche part # 914 318 261 01

Click to view attachment

I know this is the Sportomatic drawing, but the Manual tranny exp view has the seal and the the washer located ABOVE #61 (guide bushing), and that just won't work.

Why a $10 washer?
Mike Bellis
Why a $10 washer?

Because it is a Porsche...
SirAndy
It's more than just a washer.

It's a pretty thick "ring" that is a press fit to hold the seal in place.
shades.gif
McMark
People have sent in core speedo drives without the ring. So I know some people are running without them. As to the actual function, or necessity, who knows. But as usual, Porsche engineers aren't in the habit of adding unnecessary parts. wink.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(McMark @ May 20 2013, 11:53 PM) *

People have sent in core speedo drives without the ring. So I know some people are running without them. As to the actual function, or necessity, who knows. But as usual, Porsche engineers aren't in the habit of adding unnecessary parts. wink.gif

Yet you were able to improve upon their design, Mark. You would be a great candidate for a Porsche engineer beerchug.gif One of these days I'll send in mine to get the sealing ring done.

On that note, I may be making my first trip to California sometime this summer to visit my sister. I would love to see your shop and meet you - do you allow shop visitors (especially those of us from the right coast?) smile.gif
McMark
Of course! Come see the madness! wink.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 20 2013, 10:37 PM) *

It's more than just a washer.

It's a pretty thick "ring" that is a press fit to hold the seal in place.
shades.gif

So my washer might be in there, just pressed in? I can see the seam. Once I get the new one and the seal, I will pry it out, correct?

Thanks,

Clark

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 21 2013, 08:03 AM) *
So my washer might be in there, just pressed in? I can see the seam. Once I get the new one and the seal, I will pry it out, correct?

Yepp, that's the one ... If you have a new seal, don't worry about messing up the old one. Makes the prying out of the ring easier.
smash.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 20 2013, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 20 2013, 11:53 PM) *

Yet you were able to improve upon their design, Mark. You would be a great candidate for a Porsche engineer beerchug.gif One of these days I'll send in mine to get the sealing ring done.

On that note, I may be making my first trip to California sometime this summer to visit my sister. I would love to see your shop and meet you - do you allow shop visitors (especially those of us from the right coast?) smile.gif

It's not an easy place to find but when you do, look for someone who looks kind of like this guy. While in Sonoma, eat lunch at The Girl and the Fig. chowtime.gif Ask anyone.
McMark
Elliot, you need to come back and have breakfast at The Fremont Diner. :yum:
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 21 2013, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 21 2013, 08:03 AM) *

Yepp, that's the one ... If you have a new seal, don't worry about messing up the old one. Makes the prying out of the ring easier.
smash.gif

Parts arrived yesterday,

SO there is no trick to getting the seal out? JUST PRY and PULL , etc...? I got the $10 washer out, but the seal is a bitch. mad.gif

Does the same go for the seal on the shifter? Is it called a shift console? It has a similar seal holding in a short brass sleeve. While I have not gotten to the sleeve yet, it looks to be a snug fit also.

Both are going to need significant persuasion. Will the last resort be heat or a careful surgery with a dremel?
SirAndy
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 26 2013, 07:06 AM) *
JUST PRY and PULL , etc...?

Yepp. I used one of them tools with a little hook on the end and the seal came right out.

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.