Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Vin tag.. Has anyone tried to get a replacement ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
Well just like the title says has anyone ever tried or have gotten a replacement window tag. I have one missing on my 914 and have no clue where it went. headbang.gif

I think I'll try my non friendly Porsche dealer here for advice but I have a feeling how it's going to end. If someone has done this in the past please let me know.

TIA,

Luke
Rand
If you need a DMV inspection, just have them look at the one in the front trunk fender well.
carr914
I have this same problem
Rand
Mine doesn't have a windshield tag either. The previous owner had no trouble licensing it in CA. I had no trouble in NV. The metal tag in the front trunk satisfied the DMV. I don't see a reason to worry about it.
Rand
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 21 2013, 12:42 PM) *

I have this same problem

laugh.gif I assume you're talking about the car with no windshield? Funny.
shuie
I've never done this, but I have read on the internet that the dealership can help you get things like replacement door stickers and VIN tags if you can prove that you own the car. Bring the title and registration to the dealership and ask the service guy to help.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2013, 01:18 PM) *
The metal tag in the front trunk satisfied the DMV.

DMV yes, however, at least in CA, the VIN needs to be visible from the outside of the vehicle.

If not, you run the risk of getting a (hefty) ticket. Ask me how i know ...
dry.gif
MoveQik
I hear there is a guy that sells them on eBay. w00t.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 21 2013, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2013, 01:18 PM) *
The metal tag in the front trunk satisfied the DMV.

DMV yes, however, at least in CA, the VIN needs to be visible from the outside of the vehicle.

If not, you run the risk of getting a (hefty) ticket. Ask me how i know ...
dry.gif

Just like SirAndy said.. In NY it must be visible to law enforcement members or get a ticket , this I know. It's for my 6 so I want it on anyway.
Rand
Sounds like I should find the solution too. I would think you would have to go to the DMV. Andy, what did you end up doing?

I emailed my DMV. I'll let you know what they say.
carr914
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2013, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 21 2013, 12:42 PM) *

I have this same problem

laugh.gif I assume you're talking about the car with no windshield? Funny.

Yep, But the Title is Still in my name from 2007

carr914
QUOTE(shuie @ May 21 2013, 04:24 PM) *

but I have read on the internet that the dealership can help you get things like replacement door stickers and VIN tags if you can prove that you own the car. Bring the title and registration to the dealership and ask the service guy to help.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, unless you your New Girlfriend is a French SuperModel!
gms
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 21 2013, 05:59 PM) *

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, unless you your New Girlfriend is a French SuperModel!

She is a Swedish Super Model biggrin.gif

My Euro cars have no VIN tags on the windshield because they came that way
pete000
I am not recommending this, but I think the guy in Atlanta has them.

Luke M
I called the dealer and this is what I got for an answer.
Porsche will only make a replacement tag for 1986 and newer vehicles.
The purchaser must be the owner and have all the documentation , title, reg, dealer # if applicable. I was told NYS DMV can issue a tag so I'll check with them at some point. At this point I better start looking through all my boxes of parts. I know as soon as I get a replacement the org one will appear.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 22 2013, 11:51 AM) *

The purchaser must be the owner and have all the documentation , title, reg, dealer # if applicable. I was told NYS DMV can issue a tag so I'll check with them at some point. At this point I better start looking through all my boxes of parts. I know as soon as I get a replacement the org one will appear.

You're lucky it's for a 6
The windshield tags for 4 cylinder cars are stamped with a complicated border.
Those for a 6 are plain flat aluminum. With two 90 degree bends. Dimensions could probably be found somewhere.... Machinists have numeral stamps don't they ?.... Plain aluminum can be tinted black with a permanent magic marker can't it ?...... just sayin'
What New York police officer would ever know the difference ?
Don't do any of these things. It's illegal
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 22 2013, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 22 2013, 11:51 AM) *

You're lucky it's for a 6
The windshield tags for 4 cylinder cars are stamped with a complicated border.
Those for a 6 are plain flat aluminum. With two 90 degree bends. Dimensions could probably be found somewhere.... Machinists have numeral stamps don't they ?.... Plain aluminum can be tinted black with a permanent magic marker can't it ?...... just sayin'
What New York police officer would ever know the difference ?
Don't do any of these things. It's illegal

Rory,

You kill me man.. I wont have any issues you know that... shades.gif
I just want the car to be right when it's done. Plus when a fellow 914er walks up to check it out and looks at the vin # he's going to say man it's a real 6... I know they'll do it as I still do.. biggrin.gif

I'll be up in your area in July sometime. I'll give you a call/pm/email when I'm coming. Take care.. beerchug.gif
gms
Rory=trouble maker biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.