Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inner Wheel House repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OllieG
Hi,

I've just fixed up the main chassis member whilst progressing with my hell-hole repairs. Next I'm going to weld in a new RD inner wheel house panel in place where the PO had done some questionable 'repairs'.

IPB Image

You can see in the top picture the rear trunk lid hinge bracket is an absolute mess - basically welds on top of welds on top of welds... So this whole panel needs to be cut out as high as possible and replaced. I've cut off a large section of the rear wing (fender) to access this whole area too. (Middle Pic).

IPB Image

Bottom pic shows the supports I have had in place whilst doing these repairs under the car. I also have bracing where the doors go - fixed between the seat belt mount and upper door hinge.

IPB Image

So the question is...when the upper body is cut so thin (behind the sail panel - shown by the green circle in the pic)) do I need to worry about it flexing or buckling at this point?..do I need to brace this area or will the stiffness of the main chassis keep it all in place?

Cheers, Ollie.
ThePaintedMan
Don't think you need to brace it, as the longitudinal and sail panel provide the bulk of the strength there. If those are intact, you should be fine.

With that in mind though, weld slowly and cool the metal down in between runs. The heat generated is more likely to shrink the metal than the metal deforming from weight or stresses alone. Good luck!
OllieG
Thanks for the advice...I'll get on it! welder.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 21 2013, 11:37 PM) *

Don't think you need to brace it, as the longitudinal and sail panel provide the bulk of the strength there. If those are intact, you should be fine.

With that in mind though, weld slowly and cool the metal down in between runs. The heat generated is more likely to shrink the metal than the metal deforming from weight or stresses alone. Good luck!

agree.gif

Keeping the metal cool is key. When I was welding in larger panels, I would cool with compressed air after every 1" of weld bead or so and alternate which area of the panel I was welding.

Lookin good Ollie - keep on rollin!

beerchug.gif
OllieG
Cheers Bob! I've cut out the window to fit the panel into now - nasty nasty job grinding out the trunk lid hinge - will post pics later.

Yep, I've been using the compressed air trick after following your thread!..it worked well when patching up the Longs.

Thanks..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.