Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MR2 electric power steering rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Anyone ever try installing one in a 914?

What I know about the racks is that the early versions are full time on, while the newer versions are only activated when you turn the wheel.

Also know that the units draw a huge amount of amps, so a negative. Like 35A when turning the wheel

All help appreciated.

Just found a good write up: http://www.rx7club.com/fabrication-250/wri...version-847818/

Dr Evil
I am in no way against innovation for the sake of innovation, but what would you hope to gain by doing this?
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2013, 07:43 AM) *

I am in no way against innovation for the sake of innovation, but what would you hope to gain by doing this?

Power steering? idea.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2013, 08:43 AM) *

Running slicks in the front makes the car hard to turn. On a track day you'd hardly notice, but in an autox, where you are very busy, it's hard to be smooth and fast, given the input required.
Randal
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ May 22 2013, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2013, 07:43 AM) *

Power steering? idea.gif

Right.

Actually a Fabricator friend of mine just called and said he has used (on a Cobra) the electric assist out of a Prius, which is installed in line somewhere... you wouldn't need to change the rack.
r_towle
QUOTE(Randal @ May 22 2013, 12:24 PM) *

Running slicks in the front makes the car hard to turn. On a track day you'd hardly notice, but in an autox, where you are very busy, it's hard to be smooth and fast, given the input required.

Go to the gym smile.gif

Honestly, I would like to hear more about this.
The older I get, the wider the car is becoming....which I suppose is the wrong way to do things...but money and youth did not add up for me smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2013, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 22 2013, 12:24 PM) *

Go to the gym smile.gif

Honestly, I would like to hear more about this.
The older I get, the wider the car is becoming....which I suppose is the wrong way to do things...but money and youth did not add up for me smile.gif

Yea, your right about the gym. I figure if I do 40-50 pushups a night for two months
before the Fall Enduro I'll be OK. Also bought a 330mm wheel, so that will help a little.
Randal

There is a good write up here on the Pusus solution: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid17.pdf
TurboWalt
Checkout ezpowersteering, they offer a kit for 914. I have no idea of pricing.
Randal
QUOTE(TurboWalt @ May 23 2013, 01:24 PM) *

Checkout ezpowersteering, they offer a kit for 914. I have no idea of pricing.

I've emailed them for a quote and will post when I hear.

Looks like a power assist steering box of sorts.

THANKS>
TurboWalt
Randal,

Keep us posted on the price. I found a thread on the bird forum covering a 911 install. Sounds like a nice unit, but not cheap.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...r-steering.html

Cheers, Walt
Randal
QUOTE(TurboWalt @ May 24 2013, 07:27 AM) *

Randal,

Keep us posted on the price. I found a thread on the bird forum covering a 911 install. Sounds like a nice unit, but not cheap.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...r-steering.html

Cheers, Walt

Thanks for that bird board link.

The Prius unit is reasonable, if you know where to go, so thinking I might explore this a bit more and report back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.