Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
My car is 75 914/4 2.0 FI

My exhaust ends have a single pipe - not double like most I've seen.

I'm just trying to figure out what pieces I'm missing from my heat exchangers.

It looks like the front ends attach to the front bottom of the motor (into rectangle like openings). Are there flaps or something that goes into those?

What you see in the photos is what I got.

What I don't know is what's missing.

And oh yeah, how it all hooks up.

Thanks,

Len

PS - This is a Florida car - heat would hardly be an issue, but I'd like to have it rather than not.

Do any of you run without them altogether? Curious is all.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I believe that the 75 914s had thermal reactors, which are probably NLA. Your best bet probably would be to simply backdate to the more common two pipe heat exchangers.

The Porsche PET should show the parts that are necessary if you do want to keep the car original.
raw1298
Those are from a late model 2.0.
rjames
agree.gif
With all that new paint on there I also would recommend backdating. I think here's a set of stainless steel exchangers for sale in the classifieds. They would like nice alongside that bright orange and give you a small bump in hp.
lsintampa
I think perhaps I wasn't clear enough. The right side seems to be missing piece(s) that connect to the motor.

What I'm trying to figure out is what piece(s) is / are missing.

This is my first Porsche build - or any car for that matter without a radiator, so this is sort of new for me. smile.gif
nathansnathan
I think there is just the one piece missing, called an "exhaust pipe" in the pet.
039 256 281 and 039 256 282

I think this is them. I could be wrong of course, I don't know about late exhaust.
IPB Image

for sale on thesamba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1470200

You can see the diagram on page 103 of the pet
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

ThePaintedMan
Len,
If you're really set on retaining that late style exhaust, I have a couple of those manifolds from an engine I just brought back from S.C. I can bring them up to you probably sometime this weekend. I actually have the other stuff that goes along with them as well, which I believe is a full set. You'll probably also want to get new triangle gaskets for the exhaust system as well - there are four of them.
JawjaPorsche
That is the cleanest garage floor I have ever seen!
lsintampa
I have the headers... just forgot to show them.

I know squat about the 914 - it's my first build. What I need to know is what is missing from the right side.... the left seems to have enough to make connection to the motor and up to where I suspect the heater hose goes... the right side is missing stuff but I'm not sure what.

ThePaintedMan
Ok, didn't know you had the headers/manifold sections.

A couple of things - I don't have any heat on my car and it wasn't hooked up when I got it. But I do have an idea how it all hooks up. I also, like I said, removed a basically complete late-style exhaust (like you have here) so I can bring that with me this weekend if you want a visitor for a little bit. If nothing else, it would be cool to meet another 914 guy in the area.

Otherwise, I'm sure someone will chime in soon with a better description or diagram for ya beerchug.gif

Edit:
After looking closer, it looks like you're missing the "Heating air supply" tube, #25 in the diagram here: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/202-15.php

But, of course, for the later style exhanger/exhaust system, which is at the lower left side of the diagram.
JamesM
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ May 22 2013, 12:39 PM) *

I think there is just the one piece missing, called an "exhaust pipe" in the pet.
039 256 281 and 039 256 282

I think this is them. I could be wrong of course, I don't know about late exhaust.
IPB Image

for sale on thesamba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1470200

You can see the diagram on page 103 of the pet
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Thats just silly, 80 bucks for the stubs! I GAVE away a compelte set of 75 exchanges with all heat tubes and the stub pipes for nothing, which says pretty much what they are worth to me.

No, what your car is missing is a complete set of early heat exchangers! Cheapest HP gain you can get for your car.

nathansnathan
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 22 2013, 02:11 PM) *

Thats just silly, 80 bucks for the stubs! I GAVE away a compelte set of 75 exchanges with all heat tubes and the stub pipes for nothing, which says pretty much what they are worth to me.

AA has them used for $175 each, looks like you could buy a new one for only $335. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 22 2013, 12:43 PM) *

I believe that the 75 914s had thermal reactors, which are probably NLA. Your best bet probably would be to simply backdate to the more common two pipe heat exchangers.

The Porsche PET should show the parts that are necessary if you do want to keep the car original.

No thermal reactors, just 2 into 1 manifolds with heat retaining wrap.

The Cap'n
lsintampa
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 22 2013, 05:10 PM) *

Ok, didn't know you had the headers/manifold sections.

A couple of things - I don't have any heat on my car and it wasn't hooked up when I got it. But I do have an idea how it all hooks up. I also, like I said, removed a basically complete late-style exhaust (like you have here) so I can bring that with me this weekend if you want a visitor for a little bit. If nothing else, it would be cool to meet another 914 guy in the area.

Otherwise, I'm sure someone will chime in soon with a better description or diagram for ya beerchug.gif

Edit:
After looking closer, it looks like you're missing the "Heating air supply" tube, #25 in the diagram here: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/202-15.php

But, of course, for the later style exhanger/exhaust system, which is at the lower left side of the diagram.

George,

I left you a voice message.... if you want to make the trip over this weekend, that would be great....

Just let me know... there is a set that I may just buy and be done with it, but it would be nice to get some input from someone that knows what he's looking at.

Call me or PM me - just let me know so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks,

Len
PDXMike
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2013, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 22 2013, 12:43 PM) *

No thermal reactors, just 2 into 1 manifolds with heat retaining wrap.

The Cap'n

It looks to me like you have just about everything on the driver's side. I can't tell, but you might be missing the small plate that goes on the top and connects everything to the fan housing. Below is the same thing, but on the passenger side looking at it from the front connected to the fan housing.

Click to view attachment

I'm not sure the parts you're missing on the passenger side are supposed to come off. they're just two sheet metal halves (top and bottom) that crimp together.

ThePaintedMan
Len,
Sorry I missed your call. I have my phone on silent at work and all too often I forget to turn it back on when I get home. I'll give you a call sometime today to set something up for this weekend. I'll bring you the HEs and all of the stuff that goes with them.

-George
rhodyguy
most of the hard work is done. if you can afford earlier heat exchangers backdate your heating system. you are going to need new copper orings for the heat exchanger/stub pipe to head connection point, correct he to muffler gaskets, and prob nuts for the exhaust studs.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.