Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hangers for Monza muffler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike
My '75 1.8L has a Monza (I think) muffler. There is a tab on the muffler that looks like it is meant for a hanger, but I don't see any corresponding mounting features on the bottom of my car. Is there something missing from my car? Do I need to fab up something for the underside of the car? Do I even need a muffler hanger in this set-up? It seems like a lot of weight hanging off the heat exchanger flanges.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(PDXMike @ May 22 2013, 05:15 PM) *

My '75 1.8L has a Monza (I think) muffler. There is a tab on the muffler that looks like it is meant for a hanger, but I don't see any corresponding mounting features on the bottom of my car. Is there something missing from my car? Do I need to fab up something for the underside of the car? Do I even need a muffler hanger in this set-up? It seems like a lot of weight hanging off the heat exchanger flanges.

The exhaust hanger should bolt to the exhaust/heat exchanger flange interface, and then to the back of the transmission. Its hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like you have that already. If not, do NOT try to run it or even have the muffler installed. You're right, all the weight on the heat exchangers alone is a good recipe for pulling exhaust studs out of the heads. I think the hanger should be sufficient, even with a Monza exhaust as long as everything is tight and in good shape.
PDXMike
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 22 2013, 02:24 PM) *

The exhaust hanger should bolt to the exhaust/heat exchanger flange interface, and then to the back of the transmission. Its hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like you have that already. If not, do NOT try to run it or even have the muffler installed. You're right, all the weight on the heat exchangers alone is a good recipe for pulling exhaust studs out of the heads. I think the hanger should be sufficient, even with a Monza exhaust as long as everything is tight and in good shape.

OK, I've got the hanger at the back end of the heat exchangers. I was just curious if there is anything else. Your Monza doesn't have anything supporting it except the 6 bolts on the flanges?
TheCabinetmaker
That is the way 914 mufflers are mounted. 6 bolts with two of them thru the bracket.
maf914
I have a 76 914 which had the same stock exhaust system as the 75. I added a Monza system and ran it for about a year. The hanger arrangement was the same as your photos show, and worked fine. The sound, well, I ran it for a year and that was enough, I went back to stock. I then went the 2.0L SS heat exchanger conversion route with a Bursch muffler and was happy with that.

As shown Your hangers look good.
PDXMike
QUOTE(maf914 @ May 23 2013, 04:17 PM) *

I have a 76 914 which had the same stock exhaust system as the 75. I added a Monza system and ran it for about a year. The hanger arrangement was the same as your photos show, and worked fine. The sound, well, I ran it for a year and that was enough, I went back to stock. I then went the 2.0L SS heat exchanger conversion route with a Bursch muffler and was happy with that.

As shown Your hangers look good.

I'm not thrilled with the sound either. I'll leave it as it is for now and add HE and muffler upgrades to the to do list.

Thanks everybody!
JRust
I've got a grea set of SS 1.7/1.8 HE if you want to change things around some
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.