Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone seen or thought about doing a 914 T-top?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Not sure I like the idea, but just thinking about it. Any input?

Should stiffen things up a bit, and it would be cool to be able to pull the driver's side roof panel off and stick in in the passenger side while sitting at a stoplight.

There are a lot of potential donor cars, just a matter of finding one that might have workable dimensions...

Chevrolet Corvette (1968–1982)
Chevrolet Camaro (1978–2002)
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Chrysler Cordoba
Datsun 280ZX
Dodge Magnum
Dodge Mirada
Ford Thunderbird (7th generation)
Ford Mustang (2nd generation)
Ford Mustang (3rd generation)
Mercury Capri
Nissan NX
Nissan 300ZX
Nissan EXA
Nissan URGE (concept)
Pontiac Fiero
Pontiac Firebird/Pontiac Trans Am (1976–2002)
Pontiac Grand Prix
Rover 200 Coupe (1992-1999)
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
Suzuki Cappucino (has an optional solid roof which can be converted into a T-top)
Suzuki X-90
Subaru BRAT
Toyota MR2 (AW11/SW20/SW21/SW22)

Modifying the center bar would be pretty easy fabrication, but might have to have some custom smoked plexi panels cut at the plastics shop or make them out of fiberglass.

idea.gif

So what do you think? Lame or potential?

IPB Image
dfelz
I think it's a nifty idea and would love to see that done! I personally like the look (on some cars) and think if properly applied to a 914 it should look nice.
Cap'n Krusty
Never thought of doing that to a 914, but I've seen it done to a 904 ...................

The Cap'n
Drums66
....Redundantia poke.gif
(since top comes off!) idea.gif
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif bye1.gif
flag.gif
zymurgist
Knock yourself out.

I have a 914 and a '77 Corvette (T-top), and I think the one piece removable roof is way cooler. YMMV.
damesandhotrods
It sounds like an attempt to be custom for the sake of being custom. I’d have to say do not pass go, go directly to lame…
JmuRiz
I think it'd be cool to do a top that bolts in solid like the 914/6 GT...but also be able to unbolt it and use it as a normal targa.

I'm not creative enough to figure out how to make it work though.
mikeyb33
Not to p*** on the idea but (too late), I agree w/ Damesandhotrods that it might be a custom-thing just for the sake of it... Not that that's stopped people on other such pursuits before though!

From a technical/stress standpoint I see it as adding zero to chassis stiffness: You would be going from 2 stress points on the outside of the car (A-pillars on left & right sides), to a single stress point - in center of windshield. Granted, the latter would be a "hard attach" compared to the 'soft' attach of the fiberglass top with latch-clips. But, still - not sure if applying chassis Front-Rear flexing forces down center of windshield would be a great idea.

Further - and this is just IMHO - perhaps I'm showing my age but when someone says "T top" all I can think is:
Click to view attachment

and/or
Click to view attachment

And although this may in fact be from the time/era in which our cars came into existence, I really don't see anything creative or aesthetically pleasing with that look. Even for any the other cars listed in the OP I just don't get anything from it.

YMMV of course and anyone is welcome to disagree.

Anyway if you do decide to undertake the project, please keep us posted!

mike
r_towle
smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
ripper911
Somebody should photoshop this, just to see...
Put some 24" wheels on it too.
Mike Bellis
If you want to take on the task, go for it. It is no more custom than installing a fixed roof on a 914.

Just make sure you do it well or we will all get a good laugh...
GeorgeRud
I have no way of calculating the forces involved, but I would be concerned about the chassis flexing and attendant loads. Seems you would be transferring those to the middle of the windshield instead of along the A pillars, and the chances of cracking a windshield would be greatly increased.

Also, achieving a waterproof edge on the roof would be hard, and water dripping into the cockpit would not be a pleasant experience!
AZ914
Just take a Saratoga Top or 914rubber WAS top and cut it in half to fit your T-top.
rnellums
I don't think I like it.
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rnellums @ May 24 2013, 11:01 AM) *

I don't think I like it.

agree.gif Your photoshop job is good enough for me to be able to say barf.gif

biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
Would be a hell of a lot of work but if that photoshop pic is any indication I'd say not bad looking, maybe a wider T w/ rounded corners insead of those 90s', but not bad... popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
barf.gif Not a fan of that mod.
sixnotfour
How about more along this style ?
http://onlycarsandcars.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ar-project.html
7TPorsh
How about a folding vinyl top like the old 911 targas? ....or 2 piece
7TPorsh
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 24 2013, 10:12 AM) *

Take about an identity crisis!
Mikey914
The company that made the Saratoga tops did actually make the T tops for Vett and Z cars as well as a few others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.