Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There's a hole in my tranny dear Maya dear Maya *pics*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
So I finally made some time to start cleaning the tranny and engine on the 914 I picked up this Spring. Imagine my concern when I found this gaping hole in the bottom of the transmission, literally at the very front of the case. Looks machined to...i dont get it confused24.gif

I'm gonna pickup all the tools I threw around during my angry rampage. If anyone would like to weigh-in on REPAIR vs REPLACE or why the PO may have done this intentionally, I'd appreciate your candid replies.

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ May 22 2013, 06:46 PM) *
If anyone would like to weigh-in

Perfectly normal so you can see the markings on the flywheel ...
smile.gif

If you have oil dripping from that hole, that means that you have a (or several) leaking seals on either the transmission or the engine.
popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Ya, choo gatta leak
Dave_Darling
Don't panic, but there's also one on the top side of the bellhousing... smile.gif

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
Common problem, easy answer. Put the car on jackstands, remove the engine and tranny, and spend all the money you can scrape together for the next 3 or 4 years installing a big six and a 915 tranny, complete with all the bells and whistles. Don't forget to start some kind of progress thread, and don't worry if you don't finish in 3-4 years. Just keep pouring money in it until it's done ....................

The Cap'n
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2013, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ May 22 2013, 06:46 PM) *
If anyone would like to weigh-in

Perfectly normal so you can see the markings on the flywheel ...
smile.gif

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 22 2013, 11:31 PM) *

Don't panic, but there's also one on the top side of the bellhousing... smile.gif

That's a relief!!! Thanks for the sanity check guys. Now its back to the cleaning before I hunt down the leak/s....better go buy another pkg of shop towels screwy.gif
worn
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ May 22 2013, 05:46 PM) *

So I finally made some time to start cleaning the tranny and engine on the 914 I picked up this Spring. Imagine my concern when I found this gaping hole in the bottom of the transmission, literally at the very front of the case. Looks machined to...i dont get it confused24.gif

I'm gonna pickup all the tools I threw around during my angry rampage. If anyone would like to weigh-in on REPAIR vs REPLACE or why the PO may have done this intentionally, I'd appreciate your candid replies.

Normal. Also, whether or not to rip into it depends very much on the rate of oil emergence, and your level of fastidiousness. Steady stream is one thing. A car leaving a drip here or there is another. Of course if anything is leaving it must sooner or later be refilled. If it is out of the car, the seal isn't that bad to replace. If in the car, then maybe enjoy driving.
dangrouche
tap your finger on the oil and check the viscosity; based on it being clear, it is more likely the motor seal behind the flywheel; BTDT. if the oil is highly stinky then its tranny fluid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.