Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Line Fitting Thread Size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Can anyone confirm the Thread Size on the Brake Line Fitting that screws
into the Brake Calipers? I believe it is a M10x1.0, but want to confirm
before I start the job of putting in a Heli-Coil into the Caliper.

Thanks!
Mike Bellis
I think the size is correct but I don't think a helicoil will hold the pressure of the fluid. It is a glorified spring and not t true thread. You should call Eric at PMB first.
jcd914
agree.gif
stugray
The thread is 10.0X1.0.

A helicoil should work fine as the seal is made by the end of the fitting, not the threads.

However, I would still check with Eric as stated above.

Stu
Eric_Shea
I'm going to hook Ford up with a new caliper back 1/2. Stu is correct, the seal is the seat and I've seen plenty of them done that way but... why bother? Eliminate all doubt with a simple fix; the right part.
Cap'n Krusty
In my professional opinion, unless you have the tools and ability to precisely recut the tapered seat at the bottom of those threads, the odds of the repair being successful AND safe, are close to nil. It's your BRAKES!

The Cap'n
Mblizzard
I am the cheapest guy around if you ask my wife. But when it comes to brakes I will spend money. Granted brakes are not my strong point but with my 1971 I rebuilt the master cylinder and thought I did a great job. But on the first test drive a complete blow out of the seals sent me crashing into a ditch. Again brakes are not my thing but I learned my lesson. I am sure there are a number of possibilities for the failure but I have to think that my lack of experience was the biggest factor.
74914LE
Many thanks to all for your comments! I am proceeding with a new Caliper Half!! After many discussions and reading blogs about this topic, the potential risks do not justify the thrift or opportunity to test my skills on either getting it right, or on navigating the 914 in the event of a brake failure. (This happened once 30 years ago, and am not really up for that kind of adrinaline rush again!)

To follow Eric's comments, it can be done, and the seal is not with the treads, so a Heli-Coil could work just fine, BUT, 40 year old metal is a huge unknown. Not worth the risk!!! I like to think of this as a Known, Unknown!! The likelihood exists, and it should not be tried. Period!!

If I had thought through this more, I probably would not have posted this to begin with, but if it keeps someone safe in the future, then I am OK with it.

Appreciate everyone keeping me on the road!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(74914LE @ May 23 2013, 08:25 AM) *

Many thanks to all for your comments! I am proceeding with a new Caliper Half!! After many discussions and reading blogs about this topic, the potential risks do not justify the thrift or opportunity to test my skills on either getting it right, or on navigating the 914 in the event of a brake failure. (This happened once 30 years ago, and am not really up for that kind of adrinaline rush again!)

To follow Eric's comments, it can be done, and the seal is not with the treads, so a Heli-Coil could work just fine, BUT, 40 year old metal is a huge unknown. Not worth the risk!!! I like to think of this as a Known, Unknown!! The likelihood exists, and it should not be tried. Period!!

If I had thought through this more, I probably would not have posted this to begin with, but if it keeps someone safe in the future, then I am OK with it.

Appreciate everyone keeping me on the road!

Posting good questions here is the right thing to do. Posting stupid questions here is also OK. Ignoring the answers of people who know what they're talking about and shopping the question around until you get the answer you want is behavior that is stupid and cannot be excused.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.