Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cascade Lakes Hill Climb, June 8th and 9th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
It's limited to 60 cars and well worth running. Or just come by to watch.

Click to view attachment
koozy
Go get em, Randal.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ May 24 2013, 12:00 AM) *

Go get em, Randal.

Absolutely beautiful weather at Cascade Lakes today.

222 did OK running a 1:52, another SPU hill record.

Grant did great as well running his 370Z Enduro car. Got down to a 1:57, terrific for the first day on this technical hill.

And 3 more runs tomorrow. biggrin.gif
r_towle
I am gonna say, you need to start filming your runs and posting the videos.....

Or its not real smile.gif
Borderline
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 8 2013, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(koozy @ May 24 2013, 12:00 AM) *

Go get em, Randal.

Absolutely beautiful weather at Cascade Lakes today.

222 did OK running a 1:52, another SPU hill record.

Grant did great as well running his 370Z Enduro car. Got down to a 1:57, terrific for the first day on this technical hill.

And 3 more runs tomorrow. biggrin.gif

Sounds good, tomorrow you should be in the 1:40's!!! How fast did the buggies go?
championgt1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 8 2013, 07:28 PM) *

agree.gif
Randal
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 8 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Sorry, but my video camera broke on my first run yesterday (Damn!).

Time to buy a Hero!
Randal
Another great day. Hot, especially in a drivers suit, but bottles of water down both my front and back help.

The buggies got down in the low 2.00 minute range, but it seemed like they were changing engines every time I looked. Greg would be in the 1:4X range if he could get the buggy to turn.

Grant ended up with a 1:55 with his 370Z enduro racer, actually quite good for this difficult hill. His cornering speed was impressive when I was on turn 9 watching him blast through.

Also had two major offs at this corner, during my assignment there, but no drivers were hurt.

222 ended up 2nd overall with a 1:52, also setting another hill record for the SPU class. Got in front of both well driven Z06 Corvettes which was my objective. The Avon tires worked great even when the pavement was 130 degrees. I am really sold on the soft Avons.

Today was especially rewarding as everyone was saying how greasy the course had gotten in late morning (I was running in the PM when it was a bunch hotter). So my first run in the PM was tentative (1:54) as I didn't want to crash. But the better part of valor kicked in and ended up taking two seconds off my first run.

With a few more HP 222 could break into the 40's.

Bottom line: A 175HP at the rear wheels, set up 914, can really make your day. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Congrats to Randal!!! He made all of us 914 fans proud! Not only did he set record for his class he was 2nd overall putting the heat on 600 hp 2500 lb SUbi STI purpose built for hillclimbing! Way to go Randal!

This is a fun hill but it is scary! There is a ton of gravel on this road and as days got hotter more gravel would accumulate. I never got comfortable in some turns as Z can be very scary if it loses rear traction at turn exit at speed. I was very happy with my 1.55.9 it was in relm of Z06s that had 200 more hp than my Z and they had even more tire than I had. But experience on this hill is what gives time back. Lots of areas where you can't see where course is going. By my last run I was starting to see but still over cooked a turn and almost went off.

Buggy guys had rough go. Gary was on 3rd motor by Sunday. Greg got to a 2:00 on Sunday

Must have been bad day for go pros as mine stopped working too. I will post some cell phone video
grantsfo
IPB Image

IPB Image

Randal by check point 1

http://youtu.be/DRo-C0JpVOs

Buggy

http://youtu.be/Bwk0g8VrdvI
grantsfo
And vid of my Z. Think I'm going to hire new camera lady. biggrin.gif

http://youtu.be/_6D43r_HGhM
koozy
I got to see the aftermath of one buggy engine. I shoulda shot a photo. A valve was bent and cocked sideways where the top was exiting through the exhaust. It was nuts. They went through 3 engines. A record for them.

Congrats, Randal. You kicked butt. Nice job, guys.

What was the course temp?
grantsfo
QUOTE(koozy @ Jun 11 2013, 08:00 AM) *

I got to see the aftermath of one buggy engine. I shoulda shot a photo. A valve was bent and cocked sideways where the top was exiting through the exhaust. It was nuts. They went through 3 engines. A record for them.

Mornings it was high 70s low 80s. Afternoons it was high 80s perhaps 90? Hot enough that road was weeping tar and patches they put in started to fall apart. Very hot inside the car. Sun was very intense. There was a nice breeze that would come through occasionally though.

You dont hear it when cars pass at speed in videos but there was a ton of loose gravel on the course in places from patches falling apart from heat. I was taking sub optimal lines for my car to avoid gravel in places. Randal siad he couldnt feel it but all front engine rear drive guys were in agreement it was dang slipery in places.

2 to 3 blown motors is about average for buggy guys at a Hillclimb. I have seen them blow two in a day before. And they did more ugly pistons out of case type of exposions. I always know haow many are blown as I help them lift them out of trailer into work area. blink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Jun 11 2013, 08:00 AM) *

Didn't check, but air temp was high 80's both days. Maybe low 90's on Sunday PM. Mornings were cooler, but definitely shorts weather. Driving suits were HOT!

As for the asphalt, guessing that AM warmed up to over 100 degrees both days. PM temps were hot, in the +/- 130 degree range.

Hot enough that the properly installed professional patch material (tamped down) was getting pulled out by tires.

The Medford folks did a great job patching the entire 2+ miles. They did a ton of work.

The bump after turn 9 couldn't be fixed, but they had a big white line around it with "bump" written across.

Randal

Results are up:

http://www.ssccmedford.org/hillclimb/2013%20HC%20results.pdf
Woody
Well done buddy. beerchug.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 16 2013, 06:32 PM) *

Well done buddy. beerchug.gif

Thanks.

One of these years the racing budget will allow a few more hill climbs. There are like eight, all at different places.

Steep learning curve, pun intended. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Great weekend Randal! I had a blast at this hill. I was real happy with my ruins given this was my rookie run at this hill. Loved the technical aspects of this hill.

My Hoopa gearing didn't work at this hill so next year I will change rear end to give me a taller 2nd gear. By then car will have built motor too with 100 more hp than my stocker so might give those Vettes a run for their money. Don't think I will catch you or the 600 HP subi though!

Next year I plan to do three Hillclimbs and Cascade lakes will be on the schedule for sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.