Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911T value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Went to look at a 73 911T Targa with a friend, I felt there was too much work needed for the price. $17,500 is the asking price and I don't know the values but have heard the older style 911 is becoming more expensive. All opinions appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
billh1963
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 23 2013, 09:07 PM) *

Went to look at a 73 911T Targa with a friend, I felt there was too much work needed for the price. $17,500 is the asking price and I don't know the values but have heard the older style 911 is becoming more expensive. All opinions appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

They are becoming more expensive.......

That being said, condition is everything
carr914
Pre 74s bring a Big Premium, but Targas are back aways from Coupes. Still the Price for yours is within the Range, unless it's a basketcase. Pictures would help

Mark Henry
74 and earlier are going up in value BUT only unmolested original stock numbers matching cars really fit this category. A nice car that has mods is OK but to put them back again can be spendy. If you just want as driver than this my not be an issue.
Restoring any 911 is for sure going to be spendy, the early 911's have all the problems of our 914's, with a more expensive engine.

Tell him to buy the best car he can and he's better off getting a loan to get a car with zero issues. Definitely pay to have a experienced P-wrench do a PPI.
Also a nice SC or 3.2 should be on the radar.
Jgilliam914
Not knowing the condition of the T is hard to say how much it is worth. I can remember when they were a dime a dozen. No one wanted a T. Personally I thought the long hooded cars were ugly. But as time has passed I have found myself wanting one. Restoring one is ridiculously expensive. If your looking for the nostaglia of owning one. Take your time and find a good one. Rust repair like any car is not cheap!!
Porsche930dude
If you think it costs too much for its condition youre probrobly right smile.gif
86Turbo
I would steer away from the car at that price,especially one needing work.It's a 911 yes but a T so that it has all the undesirable parts (think engine). I would go for a nice SC or Carrera unless the long hood is all that will satisfy.
Cap'n Krusty
Rust?
'73 or 73 1/2?
Rust?
How long has it been sitting?
Rust?

'73: MFI is horrendously expensive to refurbish, and the MFI 911Ts NEVER ran all that well, even when they were new. Fuel pumps are unavailable.

'73 1/2: CIS parts for this 6 months only car have been unavailable new for years, and used parts are likely to be just as bad as what you have. Fuel pumps are unavailable, but later pumps can be substituted with some degree of hassle.

Rust? Under the nose where the 2 batteries have leaked and clear across, lower and rear edges of the front fenders, floor pans, doors, especially the lower edges, below the rear window, lower corners of the windshield, and where the rear suspension torsion bar tube mounts to the chassis tub. Targas are FAR worse for floor pan rust than are coupes, but they all suffer from this problem.

In general, Targas are noisy, and there's really no fix for that. Top and w/s seals are VERY expensive and tricky to install.

The Cap'n
ripper911
So, you're telling me that my modified and updated 1973 911t targa isn't worth $100,000? dry.gif

IPB Image
wndsnd
I have a 73 911T Targa up here in MA that I found recently that has sat approx 25 years with the engine out and dismantled. I did a little research and I think the last Excellence Market Value's set a "Good-Excellent" one at approx $35K.

So I am thinking that a running so-so car about $25K

Without a running engine and one that has sat around that long, I was thinking I needed to get it for 2-4K. And thats without giving it a complete and thorough going through for rust.

That is what it is worth to me. Others?

I know what it will cost to restore. More $$ than my 914 and I have 15+ in that before engine.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 24 2013, 04:08 PM) *

I have a 73 911T Targa up here in MA that I found recently that has sat approx 25 years with the engine out and dismantled. I did a little research and I think the last Excellence Market Value's set a "Good-Excellent" one at approx $35K.

So I am thinking that a running so-so car about $25K

Without a running engine and one that has sat around that long, I was thinking I needed to get it for 2-4K. And thats without giving it a complete and thorough going through for rust.

That is what it is worth to me. Others?

I know what it will cost to restore. More $$ than my 914 and I have 15+ in that before engine.

Don't put that kind of money into a targa, find a coupe.
BK911
If the car is complete and running I would pay 15k in a second. If not much rust I would pay more. Just my opinion of course, but I prefer the taigas. History has shown on most historic cars, especially the 356s, that eventually the open air cars demand a premium.
Spoke
Don't know about the price of '70s 911 cars but this '86 930 set me back 19k clams back in '09.

There are good deals out there but might not be close to you. I had to go from Pennsylvania to Denver to grab this one.

Look on Pelican Parts on their classifieds for current pricing of cars. That's where I found this one...9 pages in...

Be patient, look around for the best car for your money.

I found nothing close to me. so add $1k to the price for air travel to see a car and shipping to get it home. For me it paid big dividends.
Ian Stott
Thanks to all who chimed in, my friend decided to pass on the car we looked at. I feel comfortable looking at a car for a friend and telling them my opinion of it's condition, I try to stay away from "advising" whether something is a good deal or not, that can be a slippery slope and brings emotion into the mix. Again thanks for all the advice about the 911T.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 24 2013, 10:40 PM) *

Don't know about the price of '70s 911 cars but this '86 930 set me back 19k clams back in '09.

There are good deals out there but might not be close to you. I had to go from Pennsylvania to Denver to grab this one.

Look on Pelican Parts on their classifieds for current pricing of cars. That's where I found this one...9 pages in...

Be patient, look around for the best car for your money.

I found nothing close to me. so add $1k to the price for air travel to see a car and shipping to get it home. For me it paid big dividends.

Killer deal. Probably worth (now) 2X what you paid.
Mr.C
How about a basket 70 value?Click to view attachment
jcd914
QUOTE(Mr.C @ May 25 2013, 06:10 PM) *

What makes it a basket?
carr914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 26 2013, 12:48 AM) *

What makes it a basket?

agree.gif

Besides the Stupid Tail, Wrong Seats, couple of Dents

Is it Rusty in the Floors? Is the Motor shot?
RickS
As a data point. A low mileage restored 73 T just sold for $110,000. Not chump change for even the mass produced T.

Ripper may need to bump up his price.
billh1963
QUOTE(RickS @ May 26 2013, 12:55 AM) *

As a data point. A low mileage restored 73 T just sold for $110,000. Not chump change for even the mass produced T.

Bear in mind that those restoring these cars to where they fetch over $100k probably have that much (or more) in them.

The only ones really making out are the ones who had the cars before the prices went up. If you buy one now and restore it?...not so much
Mr.C
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 25 2013, 09:54 PM) *

What makes it a basket?

agree.gif

Yeah I agree the tail needs to go. The headlight is the only dent (guy on highway 17 bumped dad), unless the kids hit it and I didn't notice. The tail was added back in the late 80s when everybody wanted a short hood....my dads idea. The engine was rebuilt in 89, 2.2 S cams. It was repainted back in 95. The Sportomatic tranny went out and thats as far as it went. Passenger side of floor pan has some rust, the front suspension pan was replaced back in the early 90s by a guy who restored Porsches in the bay area. All I can remember was that the shop was under or by a bridge and it was a really old building. Maybe it will ring a bell with somebody here? I've been lugging this thing around since 97.
It's come to a head, dig in or sell it.
ripper911
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 26 2013, 07:01 AM) *

Bear in mind that those restoring these cars to where they fetch over $100k probably have that much (or more) in them.

The only ones really making out are the ones who had the cars before the prices went up. If you buy one now and restore it?...not so much

Luckily I only paid $3500 for mine when I bought it. It's not for sale though. I'm about to be driving it for the first time in 12+ years.

If I remember correctly they only made 751 US spec 1973 911t targas...
r_towle
All I have to say is.......

TC, focus on the 914!!!!!

Don't do it!
RickS
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 26 2013, 04:01 AM) *

The point is that these cars are becoming highly collectable. Even ones in decent shape, no rust, good motor and transaxle, interior are fetching good money.

A mediocre 73 E just sold for $85K - and it needs new paint, the engine is a cosmetic pit, and interior is tired. What ever can be done to keep these cars as close to original, including a 2.7 RS spec based on the original case, will pay big dividends. But as the hippies used to say, "It's your trip so be my guest".
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2013, 09:40 AM) *

Don't do it!

Don't worry, I'm done with 911s! More than anything else I don't care for the 911 crowd - you AssHats are Cool!
carr914
QUOTE(Mr.C @ May 26 2013, 08:47 AM) *

What makes it a basket?

agree.gif

Yeah I agree the tail needs to go. The headlight is the only dent (guy on highway 17 bumped dad), unless the kids hit it and I didn't notice. The tail was added back in the late 80s when everybody wanted a short hood....my dads idea. The engine was rebuilt in 89, 2.2 S cams. It was repainted back in 95. The Sportomatic tranny went out and thats as far as it went. Passenger side of floor pan has some rust, the front suspension pan was replaced back in the early 90s by a guy who restored Porsches in the bay area. All I can remember was that the shop was under or by a bridge and it was a really old building. Maybe it will ring a bell with somebody here? I've been lugging this thing around since 97.

To help you out a little, is it a T, E, S?

You best shot to sell it to an enthusiast, not a Flipper would be to go EarlySRegistry.com
Drums66
....Totaly astonishing!(the prices of the early 911's) idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif
more popcorn folks? popcorn[1].gif
Mr.C
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 26 2013, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Mr.C @ May 26 2013, 08:47 AM) *

What makes it a basket?

agree.gif

To help you out a little, is it a T, E, S?

You best shot to sell it to an enthusiast, not a Flipper would be to go EarlySRegistry.com

70T..I posted it on Craigslist about 2 years ago and I got an offer of 5Gs..nah I'll keep it.
Mr.C
Some of the best memories of my dad were made in that car...like the time we drove from Bakersfield to Yellowstone. Or the time we raced an early Scirocco through the hills from Bakersfield to Santa Barbara. Scirocco had a full cage lowered and was on our ass through every turn until we hit the straights....dad slowed up after getting sideways and said it's not worth killing my boy...good memories.
euro911
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 26 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Don't do it!
Don't worry, I'm done with 911s! More than anything else I don't care for the 911 crowd - you AssHats are Cool!
I don't care for the new ones. I wouldn't have anything newer than a '69, and I don't have anything newer than '67 myself. You don't have to hang around with other 911 owners, just drive the car and be happy smile.gif

Click to view attachment
bugsy0
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 27 2013, 01:43 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 26 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Don't do it!
I don't care for the new ones. I wouldn't have anything newer than a '69, and I don't have anything newer than '67 myself. You don't have to hang around with other 911 owners, just drive the car and be happy smile.gif

Click to view attachment

agree.gif eggs actly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.