Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ducktail Idiocy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
I'm just wondering if the ducktails do anything to help the aero induced grip??? Any thoughs would be cool!!! Thanks
carr914
Yes,but it depends on your intentions.
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 23 2013, 09:34 PM) *

Yes,but it depends on your intentions.

My intention was to have a decent place to mount the vw badge.
I found that when working on the motor, my tools no longer roll off the rear trunk.
koozy
Studies have shown the rear spoiler increases the effectiveness of a front splitter and reduces lift at the rear caused by turbulent air
wndsrfr
QUOTE(john914somers @ May 23 2013, 05:26 PM) *

I'm just wondering if the ducktails do anything to help the aero induced grip??? Any thoughs would be cool!!! Thanks

Thanks for opening this question up again....had the same concern myself as Kermee starts to do a bit of side to side "dancing" at about 120mph on the long straights at VIR where I'm topping out at about 130 or so. The "wiggle" is, I'm guessing, coming from aero turbulence. Here's a couple of pics of the spoiler and the front also, which doesn't have a splitter. Wondering what might be done to settle things down a bit.....

Ok...update....I went with the Sheridan front spoiler and it fits nicely...see pic below. On my first track day at VIR I found quite a bit of handling change at high speeds, particularly with more "bite"on steering inputs such as on the climbing esses.....those shaved RA1'S gave a LOT of movement for a smaller steering input than before. I'm attributing that to the increased loading on the front with the spoiler. Wow! Still have a bit of"dancing"or "jigging" at 125 plus on the straights...but not really scary.
Randal

Can you run a splitter in your class?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Randal @ May 25 2013, 07:56 PM) *

Can you run a splitter in your class?

Sure...its all DE's, so no restrictions..........yet. That said, I don't want to seriously chop up the "GT" look of the car.
carr914
Front Valance comes off pretty easy - just put a Deep Valance on it

or do something custom.

here is one I did a few years ago, unfortunately a Raccoon decided to commit suicide on it

Click to view attachment
pcar916
agree.gif A deep air-dam (or even an LE dam) will transform the handling if you have a tail or wing... a good splitter will make it even better. You just have to make sure you're getting some air flow below the engine to help draw air from the engine compartment.

My '84 911 with a whale tail is also a handful at speed without a good (read big) dam or splitter in the front.

Good luck!
nolift914
agree.gif A large deep air dam will change the stability of the 914 at speed, the front end will get sucked down and you will lose the light float you are probably experiencing,

I ran a IMSA style air dam with additional rubber trim piece along the bottom

IPB Image

or you may want something like this

IPB Image
naro914
we had this on Huey before we went to Targa (would have gotten ripped off) Keep meaning to put it back on...

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
Update with first experience running the Sheridan front spoiler...see added pic above..
tomeric914
Hey wndsrfr, whose rear trunk/spoiler do you have? I've never seen that one before.

I was at VIR last year for the first time and run 130 in the straight and experienced no dancing. I don't have a rear spoiler yet, but do have a deep front air dam. You had only the rear spoiler and no deep front dam to start, right?
Randal
I didn't notice anything with the rear ducktail until I installed a splitter on my front.

Take a look at that Cascade Lakes Hill Climb shot where I'm going around a right hander. Sure looks like a bunch of air is moving around. Need slow motion to figure out what exactly the air is doing.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 22 2013, 10:26 AM) *

Hey wndsrfr, whose rear trunk/spoiler do you have? I've never seen that one before.

I was at VIR last year for the first time and run 130 in the straight and experienced no dancing. I don't have a rear spoiler yet, but do have a deep front air dam. You had only the rear spoiler and no deep front dam to start, right?

The rear trunk lid is a fiberglass one that Josh (degreeoff) installed when he did the build about 5 years ago, others may have an idea who the supplier is--supposed to be a "GT" look.

Yep, the initial setup was rear spoiler but "stock" rounded valance in front. The car is definitely more planted in the front now but still wiggles at high speeds. I have discovered a worn bushing on the right rear trailing arm, giving about .010" play at the bushing itself....that translates to much more out at the wheel. I've ordered Chris Foley's bushing kit to install before my next outing & hope that calms things down a bit....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.