Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Mid Engined Views'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
IPB Image
Porsche 914 owners receive a wealth of information through the pages of every issue of the Association's quality publication - Mid-Engined Views. Each issue is filled with technical, historical, maintenance, and restoration information as well as owner profiles and personal interest stories. Several suppliers of Porsche 914 parts and services advertise in each issue, also. There is no place to get more information about the Porsche 914. To better make that point, the recent issue shown above contained articles about 914 Spark Plug Indexing, Speedometer Repair; 914 Insurance, V-8 Conversions, 914 Factory Advertisement Collecting, 914 Bike Racks, and more.

is this all pre - 914world.com stuff? who is dennis deeds? glenn stazak?
skline
I remember that publication, I used to get it in fact back in the early 80's but shortly lost interest since it was mostly focussed on the 6 cylinder cars. Despite what they said.
Brad Roberts
Dennis Deeds runs/ran the Porsche 914 owners club. Glenn Stazak is a 914 buddy of mine who helped run the original 914 Renegade site.

Ever talked to either one of them ?

Dennis has his own thing going.

B
Carl
Mid Engine Views was (is) a publication of the 914-6 Owners Association and the Porsche 914 Owners Association. Dennis Deeds was (is) their organizer and chairman. After the Tour 2000 four years ago, little has been heard from these organizations or from Dennis.
Ray Warren
I have a bunch of those.
They came with my car.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 27 2004, 05:26 PM)
Dennis Deeds runs/ran the Porsche 914 owners club. Glenn Stazak is a 914 buddy of mine who helped run the original 914 Renegade site.

Ever talked to either one of them ?

Dennis has his own thing going.

B

before i entered the 914 scene i guess...

just curious to know who these guys are...
they members of this board?

ive also read of a brian kumamoto.. he hang out here???
Brad Roberts
They where known as 914 movers and shakers at one point. They dropped the ball. The way we communicate now is totally different (this BBS) Glenn still has 914's and is a member of this BBS (but hasnt posted in awhile). Threads like this normally get back to them and they speak up when their chain is yanked (LOL)

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 27 2004, 06:09 PM)
They where known as 914 movers and shakers at one point. They dropped the ball. The way we communicate now is totally different (this BBS) Glenn still has 914's and is a member of this BBS (but hasnt posted in awhile). Threads like this normally get back to them and they speak up when their chain is yanked (LOL)

B

ahhh.... original '914 clubbers' biggrin.gif

letz yank some chains..... unsure.gif
Brad Roberts
A lot of people come out of the woodwork over the holidays when they are bored and stuck in the house.

My original intent was to run with the Renegade 914 club site... but too much BS was involved so I started my own.

B
VegasRacer
The 914-6 Owner Club / 914 Owners Association had a 'reunion' event every summer. It was a 3 day event in some nice California resort area (Palm Springs, Cambria, etc.) I met several of our current 914world.com members at these fun gettogethers. As Carl mentioned, the T2K (Tour 2000) was a week long cruise up the California cost. Wow! What a great event that was! That was the last anybody has heard from Dennis Deeds. I tried every way I could to contact him when we were planning the first WCC last year. I never got a reply.
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Nov 27 2004, 05:38 PM)
I tried every way I could to contact him when we were planning the first WCC last year. I never got a reply.

who's bumble-bee is that in the second photo?

idea.gif Andy
VegasRacer
Carl, Mike, somebody help me out with the guys name. confused24.gif
He was an old hippie who had his wife with him on T2K. He also attened a few of the other Reunions. IIRC if was not a 'real' Bumblebee. It just had the black / yellow paint job.
JeffBowlsby
That bottom photo was not from the T2000 was it?. I thought it was from a mid-west event and that car is the RustyMobile namesake...right Larry? laugh.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Nov 27 2004, 06:02 PM)
That bottom photo was not from the T2000 was it?.

The bottom photo was taken at the T2K the moring of the 2nd day before we headed out. I can't remember the name of the town we were in, on the coast just a little north of LA.

The black / yellow car was not a concours contender.
Dave_Darling
Actually, Dennis has posted several times in the past few years on the 914 Yahoo Group. The 914 OA ostensibly "runs" the Yahoo group, and Dennis is the moderator. He used to show up every six months or so when enough people mentioned his name, though I don't think he's posted in a year or so now.

The last issue of MEV was a PDF file that was uploaded to the Group site ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/914 ) in the Downloads section.

I still see Glenn every now and again; he has business that takes him into the North SF Bay Area. Randy will sometimes send a note about that and a small group of locals will get together for lunch or dinner.

--DD
Meredith
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Nov 27 2004, 06:11 PM)
The bottom photo was taken at the T2K the moring of the 2nd day before we headed out. I can't remember the name of the town we were in, on the coast just a little north of LA.

Wasn't that in Santa Barbara? I think that's where we all met and started T2K.
Carl
The second photo was taken from the "tower" of the motel in Ventura where we stayed the first night. As John mentioned, before we left on the second morning, all the camera hounds climbed the structure and shot photos from the platform at the top. It wasn't very high but, at the time, it seemed like it would be a good place to shoot a picture.

As I recall, the guy with the black car was a musician and he had his wife with him. I remember that he was upset with people using computers for music because it was driving all the union musicians out of jobs.

Again, I think John's right in that I doubt that it was a real Bumblebee but I wasn't as aware of them then.

That day we drove from Venture to San Luis Obispo then onto Highway 1 and we followed all the motorhomes to Monterey.

It was a great event and, despite the fact that we rarely hear from Dennis, he did an excellent job organizing it.

At the time, the Rennlist and Roadglue sites were very active and nobody from the 914 Owners Associations helped the them make the transition. There was little to bind this group together when the web sites were so active.
Carl
Here's a photo of John (VegasRacer):
Carl
Oops ...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Carl @ Nov 27 2004, 11:39 PM) *

Oops ...

I have some Mid Engine Views and some Twin Trunks Tribunes copies.
I know he name Denis deeds, all ancient history.
Glen Stazak ? Ever try to update info on the 914 6 Registry ?
He has the car that I've owned since 1983 as living in Colorado.
Not so much.
carr914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 8 2012, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Carl @ Nov 27 2004, 11:39 PM) *

Oops ...

I have some Mid Engine Views and some Twin Trunks Tribunes copies.
I know he name Denis deeds, all ancient history.
Glen Stazak ? Ever try to update info on the 914 6 Registry ?
He has the car that I've owned since 1983 as living in Colorado.
Not so much.

Glenn is a Good Guy, but I gave up on the -6 Registry
kerensky
I got a message from Deeds on the yahoo list a few weeks ago, and I see announcements of a new 'issue' of MEV about once a quarter or so. So yeah, he's still kickin' wink.gif
Kaeferfreund
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some old issues of the "MEV". If somebody has a few older issues left, do not hesitate to contact me (per PM).

Thanks.

Kaeferfreund

IronHillRestorations
I think I've got some Kaeferfreund, give me a few days
cal44
Dennis Deeds lives/lived in Palm Springs. Drove/drives a maroon 914/6.
That is if my memory is still working correctly. This was in the eighties so a little time has passed. Always like reading Mid Engine Views.
rhodyguy
Back to the way back machine Mr Peabody. "Old hippie..". Too phunny.
GeorgeRud
I imagine there’s a few of us that were around back then. I probably have my old copies of MEVs somewhere, though I finally started throwing away a lot of this old stuff as the information is usually available somewhere on the internet. It was a great way to get in touch with other enthusiasts in the pre-internet day’s when life was simpler.
IronHillRestorations
The 914 Owner's Association had a good magazine, but beyond that it wasn't really a "club" per se, so the Porsche 914 Club was formed and grew quite a bit the first few years, but then faded. IMHO both of these organizations failed because they were controlled by one or two people, and for whatever reason it got stagnant.

This page and the efforts of anyone that's put together a 914 gathering, is exactly what 914 ownership is supposed to be about.
burton73
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 23 2018, 11:23 AM) *

I imagine there’s a few of us that were around back then. I probably have my old copies of MEVs somewhere, though I finally started throwing away a lot of this old stuff as the information is usually available somewhere on the internet. It was a great way to get in touch with other enthusiasts in the pre-internet day’s when life was simpler.

I bought a bunch of these a few mounts from one of the guys here. I have around 4 or 5 years worth.

There is some cool stuff there. I will try to get a listing of them. Someone could copy them and make it available to our guys.

They are small booklets folder 8.5 x 11 done in the simplest of print on white with different colors on thicker cover stock.

There are at work. I will CK later.

Bob B
larryM
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 23 2018, 08:23 PM) *

The 914 Owner's Association had a good magazine, but beyond that it wasn't really a "club" per se, ... IMHO both of these organizations failed because they were controlled by one or two people,

agreed

- eventually we fatigue the founding volunteers - - why should (or did) anyone do all this for free?

- awhile back i went thru all my old MEV & 914-6-Club newsletters & copied the 914-6 FS stuff for Larry Lee's database - then i threw away 95% of the collection

i attended this event - iirc GPR's founder Dave Shepard was there with his unique car sporting phone-dial wheels, and so was Mike D.
Click to view attachment

i also joined 914-6 Club 'way back in when i lived in Oregon - the newsletter was a great source of tech info - Larry Morris, ed-in-chief, bulk of members were SoCal guys iirc

an orig'l 914-6 club decal is still on my back window - price $1.50 back in 1984;
(a bronze belt buckle was offered at $10 shipped)

other maybe familiar names in the 914-6-club news '84-85 - Bill Poole, Ron Mistak, David Whitaker, Paul BUrch, Nils Hallstrom, Douglas Hendrikson, Robert Kennington, Wm Carder-III, Rick Valentine,Wm Sigel, Glenn Eisenbrandt, Rich Gombos, Dave Morin, Bill Harlow, Sam Wang (obit), Jim Williams, Paul Zimmerman,Chris Swayze, Bob Buckthal, Gary Lin, Gary Dorfman, Art Isbell, Charles Sarture, Marc Smith, D. M. Moore, Jim Blakewell, Len Predaina .... (some us are long in the tooth, eh?)

- at one point Morris sold nice line-art drawings of the 916/GT - i have # 2, framed on the wall
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
larryM
914 OA now has a web site

http://www.porsche914.org/

the yahoo group is not very active anymore - most of us are here instead - but there is a lot of history https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/914/info

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 27 2004, 10:12 PM) *

Actually, Dennis has posted several times in the past few years on the 914 Yahoo Group. The 914 OA ostensibly "runs" the Yahoo group, and Dennis is the moderator.
--DD
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 24 2018, 08:02 AM) *

914 OA now has a web site

http://www.porsche914.org/

the yahoo group is not very active anymore - most of us are here instead - but there is a lot of history https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/914/info

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 27 2004, 10:12 PM) *

Actually, Dennis has posted several times in the past few years on the 914 Yahoo Group. The 914 OA ostensibly "runs" the Yahoo group, and Dennis is the moderator.
--DD

LarryM

Thanks for the additional info. I also got a reply by Dennis now.
However,l your 914-6 US Club information is also quite interesting to read.

Do you have a picture of the decal you mentioned?
bbrock
Click to view attachment
burton73
Brent,

I bought a bunch from some one last year. Free with a $10. Delivery charge if you want to be the keeper of the old history let me know. You could scan them and put them up somewhere on the server.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I flew out to that event in SLO, man that was fun. I sure miss my good friend Dave.

QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 23 2018, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 23 2018, 08:23 PM) *

The 914 Owner's Association had a good magazine, but beyond that it wasn't really a "club" per se, ... IMHO both of these organizations failed because they were controlled by one or two people,

agreed

- eventually we fatigue the founding volunteers - - why should (or did) anyone do all this for free?

- awhile back i went thru all my old MEV & 914-6-Club newsletters & copied the 914-6 FS stuff for Larry Lee's database - then i threw away 95% of the collection

i attended this event - iirc GPR's founder Dave Shepard was there with his unique car sporting phone-dial wheels, and so was Mike D.
Click to view attachment

i also joined 914-6 Club 'way back in when i lived in Oregon - the newsletter was a great source of tech info - Larry Morris, ed-in-chief, bulk of members were SoCal guys iirc

an orig'l 914-6 club decal is still on my back window - price $1.50 back in 1984;
(a bronze belt buckle was offered at $10 shipped)

other maybe familiar names in the 914-6-club news '84-85 - Bill Poole, Ron Mistak, David Whitaker, Paul BUrch, Nils Hallstrom, Douglas Hendrikson, Robert Kennington, Wm Carder-III, Rick Valentine,Wm Sigel, Glenn Eisenbrandt, Rich Gombos, Dave Morin, Bill Harlow, Sam Wang (obit), Jim Williams, Paul Zimmerman,Chris Swayze, Bob Buckthal, Gary Lin, Gary Dorfman, Art Isbell, Charles Sarture, Marc Smith, D. M. Moore, Jim Blakewell, Len Predaina .... (some us are long in the tooth, eh?)

- at one point Morris sold nice line-art drawings of the 916/GT - i have # 2, framed on the wall
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

burton73
It is sweet but painful sometimes. As we get older we lose people in our life. I saw a picture of the much loved Howard barefoot washing his car.

Bob B
Lennon / McCartney but I think John wrote this one.

There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

[Verse 2]
But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

[Piano Solo]

[Verse 3]
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
87m491
I bought my car from a multi decade owners and those came with it.

QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 6 2018, 10:38 AM) *

Brent,

I bought a bunch from some one last year. Free with a $10. Delivery charge if you want to be the keeper of the old history let me know. You could scan them and put them up somewhere on the server.

Bob B

bbrock
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 6 2018, 11:38 AM) *

Brent,

Bob B

Sweet! Mine are from a subscription I had back in the 80s. The mailing labels are to my parents old house which is odd because I was living 60 miles away from them at the time. Only reason I can think is because I was in college and moving around so much, I must have figured their address was more permanent. It's a fun blast from the past anyway.

Here is why I have an extra hole in my shift linkage that I'm wondering if I can weld shut.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
fixer34
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 6 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Brent,

Bob B

"..You could scan them and put them up somewhere on the server. .."

Not to be a 'stick in the mud', but check with Dennis before copying/distributing any MEV volumes. I joined the group late, all of my newsletters are protected PDF's (volumes 81 thru 101..). At one point, someone mentioned about putting old copies online and Dennis played the copyright card. I think he still owns all the rights to them.
JmuRiz
I remember seeing posts on those back when I was on the renegade 914 site back in 1995 (sometimes surfing text-only on a VAX green-screen at school biggrin.gif )
larryM
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Mar 6 2018, 05:42 PM) *

.... Dennis played the copyright card. I think he still owns all the rights to them.

yup - that was always an issue - it was a privately owned "club"

p.s. - love that "quick shift" idea above! - that was back in the days when the cars were cheap & none of us had any money

i may still have an issue with all the instructions for converting a tailshift to sideshift (not swapping - actually building it from parts)
Cairo94507
I remember getting MEV back in the day when I had my first 6. That was cool and I always enjoyed reading to cover to cover. There was no Internet back then and the only shared information about these cars was done via MEV. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
I was the same way Cairo! I loved getting the new MEV.

I had suggested that Deeds have a 914 event in the mid-west, but never got anything but a negative comment in MEV. Subsequently I got very involved with the Porsche 914 Club in Oakley, CA which also eventually faded away. I did publish Twin Trunks Tribune (newsletter of the 914 Club) for a couple years, and served as VP.

I met Rich Johnson via phone from an ad in MEV. We became close friends and worked on several Mid-West Renegade Festivals. 21 years ago this Sept I met Diane Johnson's lovely cousin at the Branson Renegade Festival, who I married in '98, and the mother of my 2 great kids.

All because of the love of 914's.
fixer34
I've been a member of 914 OA for a number of years, for a while it kind of faded off to nothing. Maybe one post/email a month.
All of a sudden there have been 20 this month alone. Someone just asked about MEV, here is Dennis's answer.

Yes. In fact I'm currently working on the next two issues and hope to have one out before long. took a break for a while. Sometimes life gets in the way of doing the fun things. I'll announce on this forum when it goes out so you can look for it.

It's still a digital download, but I'm working on a new format. That's been part of the delay, but mostly my delay. I need to spend a little time updating the web site, too.
Dennis
Porsche 914 Owners Association
Porsche 914-6 Club USA
Informing 914 Owners Since 1978
www.porsche914.org
IronHillRestorations
So does he still collect "dues"??
mepstein
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Mar 14 2018, 10:09 PM) *

So does he still collect "dues"??

Yes. $15/year.
I bought a copy of all the old mev newsletters on cd but gave it to pat Garvey when his basement flooded. It was interesting but not enough to subscribe. I have purchased two cars from listings on the site and another two from the yahoo group. So little exposure means so little completion for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.