Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cleaning spilled gasoline
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
I guess I am fortunate that none of my three cars and one mc don't leak oil.

And if by chance a visitors car dribbles some oil on my concrete driveway, a little liquid dishwashing detergent and some rain soon erases the telltale stains.

But, as I was recently draining a lawn mower gas tank, I spilled some gas on the driveway. mad.gif Well not to worry, methinks, it'll soon evaporate. Well the gas [/i]did evaporate, but it left a big, ugly stain right in front of the garage. And now, several applications of liquid dishwashing soap have not cleaned it at all.

Someone suggested brake cleaner, but I fear that the runoff will kill the new grass that we finally got to grow along the side of the driveway and garage.

Anyone have any suggestions on cleaning this gasoline stain? I'm really surprised that the gas even stained the concrete in the first place (the concrete is two years old and
has[i] been sealed.)

Paul
VaccaRabite
Sun will bleach it out in a week or so, unless it reacts somehow with the sealer.

Zach
Mblizzard
I have had good success with the cheap Awesome cleaner available from Dollar General. Perfect on concrete? Maybe not but much better than others.
injunmort
dawn dishwashing soap, a quick scrub and power wash
TheCabinetmaker
Dry Portland cement. Not conctete mix.
Plain Portland. Sprinkle it and leave it.
Local lumber yard should have a busted sack.
A quart jar will last a long time
underdog
QUOTE(injunmort @ May 25 2013, 01:59 PM) *

dawn dishwashing soap, a quick scrub and power wash

muratic acid.
turk22
Paul,

CLR is supposed to clean stains from concrete. I would suggest that.

Pat Garvey
A product called "Pour 'n Restore" works perfectly for oil stains on concrete. Cleaned up every single oil drip on my garage floor from my old 911.

It's citrus based and works best on stains that haven't been attacked by other cleaners. You're going to use it outdoors, so wait for a 24 hour period where no rain is forecasted. It's soupy. Pour it on & leave it alone for 24 hrs. Then just sweep it with a broom & off comes oil stains.

Caveat here - it works great on oil stains. Gasoline? Unfortunately gasoline has a dye added to it. This product may not remove the dye, but worth a try.

Company I worked for in the 70's made the dyes for gas & kerosene. Refined fuels are almost clear ans some gas companies wanted red, orange or blue dyes in their gas. They are hardore dyes.

Product is available at most auto and hardware stores, and is inexpensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.