Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do bearings work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Calling the experts and anyone else. The case with the holes is aluminum. The crank, cam and lifters are steelish. As the case heats up the holes expand at twice the rate of the steel parts within. So how are for example main bearing clearances maintained as I open the throttle on the ribbon of highway that lies ahead. Shouldn't oughta work. Are they extra tight to start out with? unsure.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(worn @ May 24 2013, 07:35 PM) *

Calling the experts and anyone else. The case with the holes is aluminum. The crank, cam and lifters are steelish. As the case heats up the holes expand at twice the rate of the steel parts within. So how are for example main bearing clearances maintained as I open the throttle on the ribbon of highway that lies ahead. Shouldn't oughta work. Are they extra tight to start out with? unsure.gif

The secrets in the film. It's all about the film.
McMark
Doesn't it expand in all directions...
stugray
Doesn't it expand in all directions...

A cylinder will increase in diameter as it heats.
So a hole down the middle of a cylinder (a pipe) will increase in inside diameter as it heats.

So I dont know why it works either.

Stu
VaccaRabite
1) tolerance is designed so that the clearance is acceptable at cold and hot to have oil pressure in the proper range. You can be out of spec but have good cold oil pressure that falls on its face when the engine is hot.
2) expansion at the center is relatively small. Expansion is not linear.
3) the engine heats up from the heads in, not the crank out. And the center of the engine will be roughly oil temp instead of the outside of the engine which will be roughly head temp. Less expansion at 200 then at 390.

Zach
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 25 2013, 08:03 AM) *

1) tolerance is designed so that the clearance is acceptable at cold and hot to have oil pressure in the proper range. You can be out of spec but have good cold oil pressure that falls on its face when the engine is hot.
3) the engine heats up from the heads in, not the crank out. And the center of the engine will be roughly oil temp instead of the outside of the engine which will be roughly head temp. Less expansion at 200 then at 390.

Zach

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ May 24 2013, 11:23 PM) *

agree.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 25 2013, 04:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 25 2013, 08:03 AM) *

Zach

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ May 24 2013, 11:23 PM) *

agree.gif

I know all about the film. What I am wondering about is the fact that the case is going to grow considerably from cold start to operating temp. The bearing supports will open up as circles to be several thousands larger. And the steel expands as well, but only half as much. How do you make an aluminum motor not too tight at cold and still ok at full hot? That is not a question about the film just my curiosity a professional habit for me. Not meant to solve a problem.
Thanks
Mark Henry
I'm getting that all the time when I post as well, doesn't seem to load, then you press "add reply" again and it double posts.
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 25 2013, 07:35 AM) *

I'm getting that all the time when I post as well, doesn't seem to load, then you press "add reply" again and it double posts.

Well thanks for fixing that.
Back to topic I find that gm has filed patents addressing this with main bearings. They found that a very high beryllium aluminum alloy would produce an expansion coefficient like steel. Proposed it for bearing caps.
As to the film, how thick is it by the time the warm up is complete?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.