Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: They say Yellow is Faster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Original Chrome Yellow paint - base coat in the picture.
Lessons learned:
If you suck at drywall (plastering) then you will have a hard time doing body work.
3 coats of sandable primer will cover most errors. (good thing)
Under reduced paint blobs.
Over reduced paint runs.
A smalll undectable scatch in the primer coat will show up big time in the base coat and make you feel like torching the car. fighting19.gif
One coat of clear coat will cover the scatches. clap56.gif

Chasing clear coat to blend in overspray and orange peel is futile if you don't know what you are doing. pray.gif
All in all it turned out pretty good for my first real paint job. (other than stock cars) mueba.gif

Had a Pro come in and look at it, he said "good job, just wet sand these few areas and put one more coat of base coat and it will look like we did it in our shop."

I hired him on the spot to put my last coat of clear coat on for me. I now know my limits!!!

wavey.gif
Brad Roberts
Damn.. you have been busy. It looks good from 30 feet...ha ha

B
seanery
Woohoo!

Good Job!

Yellow is Faster!
tracks914
Ya - nice flat base coat and it looks perfect!!! happy11.gif
Spent 33 hours on it this weekend alone. Painting sanding, painting sanding...you get the picture.
I was really discouraged at times but the Pro I brought in this AM really made me feel good about the whole weekend.
Brad Roberts
I keep hearing the crying in my head "why does it cost 7k to have my car painted ??"

THIS IS WHY.

Body shops will have 80 hours in your car if not more...

B
TJB/914
Looking real good!!!
Can't wait to see the next progress pictures. Now the fun begins after the hard grung work is completed.
Tom
tracks914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 20 2003, 03:31 PM)
I keep hearing the crying in my head "why does it cost 7k to have my car painted ??"

$7K US is about $10K CAN...but we're catching up. biggrin.gif
ChrisReale
You are not supposed to paint the window! beer.gif Just kidding, looks great.
72Signal914
ORANGE IS FASTER!!

God job for doing it yourself clap56.gif . I need to have my car repainted, got some spider cracks and a nice chip on the front hood and little discoloration on the trunk mad.gif

Anyone know where I can get some Signal Orange touch up paint for the obvious stone chips. Do I have to go to the Porshce Dealer icon14.gif
madd_dogg_914
Looks great. I applaud your effort. I spent months trying to do bodywork. It turned out allright, then I ought all of the stuff to paint, a compressor, a couple of sprayers, then I chickened out and had a pro do it all. Money well spent because if I had done it I would have spent the rest of my life nit-picking the job. This way I can relax. I tell you, you have got bigger balls than me. biggrin.gif

-Chris

Looks real good (except it looks like there is a little overspray on the windshield rolleyes.gif and it looks like you accidentally attached a forklift to the back of it. Might be hard to handle in tight turns, I guess we wil see)

Great way to get a big engine into a 914, attach a forklift.

HAHAHA

I crack myself up, but seriously folks, I'm leaving now.
914Timo
Looks Good !! Very GOOD !!! Congratulations wavey.gif

I know. Spraying the clear coat is damn difficult. I cant do that too.
tracks914
QUOTE(madd_dogg_914 @ May 20 2003, 05:57 PM)

Looks real good (except it looks like there is a little overspray on the windshield rolleyes.gif and it looks like you accidentally attached a forklift to the back of it. Might be hard to handle in tight turns, I guess we wil see)

Great way to get a big engine into a 914, attach a forklift.

HAHAHA

I crack myself up, but seriously folks, I'm leaving now.

LOLOLOL...

The counter weight on the back of the forklift really helps it hold good on the corners but it bounces to much in the bumps. biggrin.gif
The diesel has lots of torque but no top end.
Rear wheel steering has got to go though, lots of fun on ice and easy to park but but the wife just can't get the hang of "driving stick" driving.gif

You crack me up too! mueba.gif
dmilzoff
Check out this web site for matching paint color, any car. Just info. Never used them.
http://www.paintscratch.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.