Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extra hole in my gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
I picked up another gas tank and dropped it off at my sandblast guy. When I picked it up I found this

Click to view attachment

The edges have a nice uniform radius that it looks like it belongs. Based on the late cap I had assumed it was a late tank

Thanks

David
Bob L.
That is an incorrect tank. No hole should be there.

Maybe custom?
confused24.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bob L. @ May 25 2013, 09:29 AM) *

That is an incorrect tank. No hole should be there.

Maybe custom?
confused24.gif

Incorrect tank ? Don't think so, if so, what is it correct for ?
Incorrect hole ? .....absolutely.
Only mystery is how such a uniform hole was formed. Maybe a Greenlee hole punch or a hole saw. The recess around the hole ?
Dents to the left are odd too.
Did you ask the sandblaster to clean the interior too ? Maybe he did it for access.
Radiator shops are notorious for punching random holes in gas tanks.
Bob L.
Yeah, I should have put "incorrect" in quotes. Like I said "No hole should be there"
Harpo
I told him not to do the interior. Now I need to find someone to patch the hole. Would this be a good candidate for brazing?

Thanks

David
r_towle
tig or mig welding.

bring it to a decent and hopefully certified welder.
When he is done, have him fill it with water, hang it up with the hole at the bottom and both of you watch for leaks.
If no leaks, pay the man.

rich
TheCabinetmaker
Its missing the bracket on the rib for the expansion tank inboard mount.
shuie
Wow. I wonder what tool he used to do that. I want one.
SLITS
that hole is for the feed line to your flat 12 Porsche engine you are installing. They use lots of fuel rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.