Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I was just browsing through the PCA tech articles and noticed that they recomment new valve springs when rebuilding heads. I just had my done but did not have new springs installed. Should I replace them? If so, is it difficult?
Aaron Cox
not hard at all!

i have a cool tool that holds the head/valve and compresses the spring with a big lever. remove retainer etc.. DONE

lemme know if you wqant to borrow it.
Brad Roberts
Um.. anyone ever heard of "installed spring heigth" ?? you dont just slap valve springs on. The proper method is to measure and shim accordingly.

B
Aaron Cox
edit: yes... mine had shims wink.gif
mattillac
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2004, 04:58 PM)
not hard at all!

i have a cool tool that holds the head/valve and compresses the spring with a big lever. remove retainer etc.. DONE

lemme know if you wqant to borrow it.

where'd you get the tool?
Aaron Cox
VW custom place....

this IPB Image
mattillac
thats cool! rocking nana.gif alot of $$$$$?
Aaron Cox
30 bucks....

ive used mine once wacko.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 27 2004, 04:59 PM)
Um.. anyone ever heard of "installed spring heigth" ?? you dont just slap valve springs on. The proper method is to measure and shim accordingly.

B

Is this something the rebuilder would have done when they re-assembled the heads?
Allan
icon_bump.gif
redshift
laugh.gif

Aaron doesn't need to get tools, he is one.

M
redshift
Oh, yeah, heads should come ready to eat.

M
DJsRepS
My $400 daily runner dropped an intake valve when I pulled it apart I found the spring broken on that valve. When I checked the rest some taller I found one that looked bent. I picked it up and by hand tried to straighten it (not that I would have used it) and it broke in two. I put all new Pelican springs in. one new valve and guide.
Allan
Talked to the rebuilder yesterday and I got lucky. Looked over the paper work and guess what, new springs!!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.