Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW van site?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfrank
I absolutely love this site for my 914 !! You guys rock!!
I'm purchasing a 78 Westfalia next week from an old friend. The drive home to High Point from Charlottesville wil take about 5 hours at VW van speed. I'm looking for a site similar to this one. Any suggestions? Also, my buddy and I are going to change the rubber fuel line connections and see if the rubber lines on the injection system need changing. Neither one of us really know anything about fuel injection, so I really appreciate any and all advice in getting the new camper home safely.
Thanks!! Doug

Click to view attachment
dfrank
Bump
turk22
I would say www.thesamba.com
Its all things vw, and has forums dedicated to the various models.

Cap'n Krusty
Your Bus is equipped with L-jetronic EFI. There MUST be NO vacuum leaks. You should ensure the fuel hoses are in good condition, and replace any old or damaged hoses with either 7 (or 7.5mm) European FI hose, or 5/16" modern US fuel injection line. I don't like the latter because it doesn't fit as snugly as it should, but it's supposed to hold up better when modern fuel is used. ALWAYS use ONLY FI style hose clamps! Spend the money, buy the "good stuff! The valves are hydraulic, so periodic adjustment is not as critical. IT IS IMPORTANT you have a good engine compartment seal, and that the EGR system is fully functional. If the seal is bad or the EGR has missing pieces, is clogged up, or is otherwise non-functional, combustion chamber temperatures are gonna be way too high and you're more likely to drop a valve or blow the cylinder/head sealing surface. Might want to buy 2 or 3 fuel filters and change the filter every 6000 miles or so. Note: It's a special filter, and may be difficult to find, although NAPA can probably get them for you. The engine compartment seal is available from some of the bus specialty places (Bus Boys, Wolfgang, others). The Samba is a good place to look for parts. I know there are a number of bus-centered enthusiast sites, but I never hung out there because, in general, I know a LOT more about Busses than most of the members. The high failure item is gonna be the air flow meter ("air box"), and they're nearly impossible to find new. Rebuilts tend to be junk. In general, they fail rich, which is OK if you don't have smog checks where you live. EGR valves are hard to find, but there are OK rebuilts available and the EGR filters are not hard to get (Century Distributors in Visalia, CA). Your bus uses W8CC spark plugs (7904), NOT W7CC.

For the rest of the car, like a 914 you don't want a bunch of keys hanging from the ignition switch, check the ball joints and replace them if they're bad, check the rear brake shoes once in a while. If they're thin, be sure to replace the wheel cylinders, too. Keep an eye on the CV boots, they crack and tear quite often. Rust under the battery is pretty common. Provide me with a good e-mail address via PM and I'll send you a pretty big PDF file of the VW FI troubleshooting manual. (You get ONE chance, so make sure your address can accept a big file.)

One last thing. ALWAYS remember you're driving a heavy, underpowered, slow vehicle. For pleasure! You DO NOT have to keep up with traffic! Plan your trips so you're not under any time related pressure.

Have fun! The Cap'n

(BTW, this vehicle is a great candidate for 911 power and a 5 speed tranny! BTDT.)
dfrank
Thanks for the great replies!!!
Dug

r_towle
Thesamba is the best site.
Chris H.
There is also one called Itinerant Air Cooled

Link

boxstr
Agreed thesamba.com is a good site for parts shopping, new and used.

Cap'n, curious about the subie conversion on this year vw van, yes or no?
Craig at CAMP
Cap'n Krusty
I've never heard of a Subie conversion on an air cooled van. Most folks would use a Vanagon waterboxer as a starting point. The necessary infrastructure is already there. They sold a water cooled bus in Mexico. Looked a bit odd with the radiator housing tacked on the front.

The Cap'n
euro911
... and don't forget to get the bumper sticker that says "0~60 in 11 minutes" laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 26 2013, 10:12 PM) *

... and don't forget to get the bumper sticker that says "0~60 in 11 minutes" laugh.gif

Like the one you have on your 914? happy11.gif lol-2.gif poke.gif
Bullethead
Good luck with your new camper. The Samba has a good bus forum... and you can get one of these in the classifieds.

Click to view attachment
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1291028

Just returned from a 1,300 mile loop of Florida with our '64 Deluxe. A freeway flyer helps alot, but 0-60 takes a couple of minutes.
Get used to driving very defensively, and remember that where you're seated is a crumple zone.

euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 26 2013, 10:51 PM) *
Like the one you have on your 914? happy11.gif lol-2.gif poke.gif
I drove by your house the other day. I like the sign in your yard that says "slow children at play" stirthepot.gif

poke.gif
Mr.242
Trade in that van and buy a 914. Enjoy our 914 site like it is meant to be enjoyed!
beerchug.gif
dfrank
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a 74 914 that's in a thousand pieces with many new pieces ready to go on when I get to the point of reassembling. I'm too embarrassed to show the condition it's in now.
I'm buying the van for camping while on hang gliding trips in NC and VA mountains. I'm looking forward to driving 60 mph with the "caution slow moving vehicle warning" on the back.
Dug
poorsche914
Here ya go...
Subaru Engine in a Bay Window Bus

driving.gif
Jeffs9146
I bought a 79 westy in 1982 and drove it 10,000 miles through Mexico! Loved it!!
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(dfrank @ May 27 2013, 12:00 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies!
I have a 74 914 that's in a thousand pieces with many new pieces ready to go on when I get to the point of reassembling. I'm too embarrassed to show the condition it's in now.
I'm buying the van for camping while on hang gliding trips in NC and VA mountains. I'm looking forward to driving 60 mph with the "caution slow moving vehicle warning" on the back.
Dug

I hope you know that in spite of other people doing it, that pop top isn’t designed to take a roof rack.
DBCooper
Just sat down after coming in from four days at the Strawberry Music Festival, camping with my son and his family in his 60 splitwindow doubledoor. All I have to say is DAMN that was fun!!!

Odd was that the people at the festival were almost all old hippies 45 years on (the festival is at Camp Mather, San Francisco's city retreat) and he had the only splittie there. It seems the old buses have become too valuable for old hippies, are now the domain mostly of Germans re-importing, and a few eccentric Englishmen. Weird.
Cairo94507
LowBus.com has some busses.
Dr Evil
Full moon bus club
Mostly east and very friendly.

http://mail.fullmoonbusclub.com/news.php
Nie Zu Alt
Hmmm, it sure looks like a few of us 914 owners also have a thing for a bus. We just brought home this 1957 Double Door Panel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
partwerks
A friend of mine had a VW bus type thing, I think he said it was called a DK 10 and they only made like 11 of them?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
boxstr
Will be driving this single cab to the bug in this year.
Craig at CAMP
euro911
I sold my '67 bus back in the late '70's. In hind sight, I wish I could have read the future and kept it dry.gif

Click to view attachment

We bought an '84 Vanagon Westfalia camper last year. It's a wasser boxer so it has all the plumbing in place to accommodate a Subi 2.2L smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.