Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Before I install my working engine what should I fix / replace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve73
Hi everyone!

Click to view attachment

I'm about to put my working 2.0L 1973 engine and transmission into my 1972 914. I want the 73's improved shifting. I salvaged almost everything I needed off my 73 before I scrapped it.

Is there part or procedure that I have not listed here that you reccommend before I reinstall it?

Engine Seals to replace:

Pushrod tubes o-rings/seals
Front & Rear Mains
Oil cooler seals
Oil Pump cover seals - may be complicated….investigate.
New! Oil cooler?[size=2]
Engine Mounts - (Probably not)

Rubber grommets for all engine tins and electrical wires to pass through.
Engine sealing rubber strips along sides of body. - Not needed
Rubber seal for top rim of rear engine tin work.
Clips that mount to rear engine tin that holds wires on the transmission side.

New thermostat for air cooling system, make sure system is running.

Valve Adjustment

==============================================

Transmission:
Flywheel hold down tool
Clutch alignment guide tool
bearing that goes in the flywheel. -Mine was in bits when I took off the flywheel
Thrust bearing?
New Clutch?
Investigate other issues?
flywheel bolts

Also get:

trade out for "new" alternator,
alternator rubber bits for cooling etc. (2 things?)
Alternator rubber air cooled connector to fan housing.
Alternator belt (have)
Exhaust mounting studs and bolts (to engine)
exhaust gaskets? (heat exchanger to engine)

PARTS NEEDED FOR 72-73 2.0L ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION SWAP

'73 shifter - own
'73 shift rod - own
'73 transmission - own
Flush and refill transmission - (with what?)
Engine mounting bolts for the frame. -1973 version
gasket for shift rod

This engine was already running on carbs so no fuel injection stuff is needed and I've already overhauled the carbs and had them working before I salvaged the engine.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Stephen
r_towle
Put the car on jack stands....get some beer
Steve73
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2013, 04:00 PM) *

Put the car on jack stands....get some beer

Check & Check.

I do have to also get the exhaust manifold studs repaired ,as a friend of mine was a little too enthusiastic in helping me unbolt it.

Mblizzard
While it is out I would repaint the timing marks on the impeller.
Steve73
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 26 2013, 05:00 PM) *

While it is out I would repaint the timing marks on the impeller.

Yea actually I'm replacing the impeller with the one from the older engine. Painting is a good idea. Any marks besides TDC?
rhodyguy
new inboard engine to bar mounts. super shift bushing conversion kit, the 2 bushings that cradle the ball on the shifter and inspect the shift lever and lockout plate for wear at the contact point. throwout arm pivot clip, pivot ball cup bushing, and the 2 plastic clips that retain the throwout bearing in in the arm.

k
jdlmodelt
I replaced all the gaskets and shaft seals on my tranny while it was out. The input shaft and the two axle seals. The shifting shaft seal. I was glad I did. The seals I pulled out cracked and crumbled when I pinched them.
j
Steve73
What about the oil cooler should I just replace it. It has a lot of dried up oil on it, but I guess it was working fine before?
rwilner
Not sure if you're looking to spend money or what the state of your working engine is, but here are some ideas.
- replace your wiring harnesses with bowlsby ones
- new starter cable and/or rebuild starter
- does your engine fan have all the fins? If not, replace
- replace engine tin screws with socket head cap screws, replace any that are missing
- engine intake runner gaskets, both the phenolic ones that connect to the head and the rubber ones to the plenum
- install an oil pressure sender where the switch is, or tee it off to keep the switch too.
- replace the fuel line with the ethanol resistant type (30r9 I think)
- new vacuum lines

rhodyguy
if the engine tin is off, a can of brake cleaner and an air nozzle will clean it up nicely. if the cyls are gunked up it's a good time to tidy up the fins. near impossible with the engine in and tin installed.
914itis
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 27 2013, 10:53 AM) *

new inboard engine to bar mounts. super shift bushing conversion kit, the 2 bushings that cradle the ball on the shifter and inspect the shift lever and lockout plate for wear at the contact point. throwout arm pivot clip, pivot ball cup bushing, and the 2 plastic clips that retain the throwout bearing in in the arm.

k

You need this from tangerineracing.com
Steve73
Ok, It's been 4 months since i've been able to work on my 914, but now I've digested everything everyone has said (Thank you so much) and I'm about to order parts.

Any last thoughts?

Stephen
Steve73

"You need this from tangerineracing.com"

Thanks here's a direct link to the part for everyone else that's reading this:

Tangerine Racing
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Steve73 @ Sep 29 2013, 01:45 PM) *

"You need this from tangerineracing.com"

Thanks here's a direct link to the part for everyone else that's reading this:

Tangerine Racing

Chris sent one of these as a door prize for Okteenerfest. This is an unassuming piece until you look at how well it is made and the compare it to the stock part. I did not know about this part when I replaced my firewall bushing but I won't put anything else in in the future but this part.
r_towle
QUOTE(Steve73 @ Sep 29 2013, 05:43 PM) *

Ok, It's been 4 months since i've been able to work on my 914, but now I've digested everything everyone has said (Thank you so much) and I'm about to order parts.

Any last thoughts?

Stephen

You might need more beer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.